Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to get rid of drone?

boostaholic

Want to get rid of drone?

I saw a thread a while ago about people running 2 mufflers or a muffler and a resinator. But I dont remember anything about the the out comes and what brands people used. I have a 3" turbo back on my R/T with no cat and a Magnaflow muffler and it is fine in town but cruising on the interstate at 80 for a couple hours can get a little noisy. I was thinking of adding a resinator unless someone else has any better ideas. Any input would be appreciated.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Want to get rid of drone?

Is your exhaust tip extended beyond the bumper?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

This is the exact reason I actually still have a catalytic converter. It helps with the drone and the overal decibels and doesn't hurt performance very much due to it being a high flow unit.

Hybrid booster

I dont have the solution but would like to hear some more opinions.

I have a full 3" system, no cat, going on my Omni that will be DD for the most part. I have yet to order the muffler because I want to fit the largest one possible back there.

I to was planning on leaving the test pipe removable so a resonator could be installed if the drone was too much.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Is your exhaust tip extended beyond the bumper?
    +1on the exhaust tip beyond the bumper, Most of the Drone comes from the sound bouncing off the car body They sell the 3'' turn downs at auto zone

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

In Cali we have the tailpipe emissions every 2 years but to keep from killing cats on my *race cars* (I would never illegaly modify the emissions equipment on a street driven vehical)I use a 3 flange bolt in/bolt out set up. Each one is set up at the same length so the same OBDII cat can be used Funny thing is, the exhaust note on the red TC and the White TC although done by the smae guy, at the same shop, with the same muffler is different Red car, no problem on the highway, white car, drone city So I got a cheapy 'bullet style'(glasspack-ish) perforated core strait thru muffler that bolts in place of the cat. It's the style that has little raised triangles of metal in the center thru pipe that partly exposes the fiberglass packing material in the outer core. It kills the drone nicley and was cheap. Not that the manufacturer name is coming to me right now I'm sure they are pretty generic.

Two things to consider though, I've tried the kind of glasspack that just has a perforated center with little holes. That one didn't kill the drone or much sound. Second thing is the raised material type is uni-directional for best exhaust flow. Install correctly On my Shelby Lancer I used to have 40 series single chamber 'race' Flowmaster in place of the cat. That worked but was heavy and expensive.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dds78910
    I saw a thread a while ago about people running 2 mufflers or a muffler and a resinator. But I dont remember anything about the the out comes and what brands people used. I have a 3" turbo back on my R/T with no cat and a Magnaflow muffler and it is fine in town but cruising on the interstate at 80 for a couple hours can get a little noisy. I was thinking of adding a resinator unless someone else has any better ideas. Any input would be appreciated.
    If you searched, you'd find like 10 threads from me on it,

Yeah, I run 2 mufflers and a cat, the cat made a big difference in drone. I have run a large body Walker cat and currently run a large body OEM GM cat off a 3.8. You can feel the difference in power but for the street, big whoop. Resonators I found did nothing.

The 2 mufflers are an oval Magnaflow up front and a round Magnaflow in the rear. I had a Walker Ultra-flo up front but the Magnaflow is alot quieter, all are straight thru designs. I did try a Super turbo and the rear muffler but still droned enough to piss me off, and i didn't have room to put the cat in, that would be a nice combo, as the exhaust rocked and the power came up.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I have a full 3" system on my daily driver Spirit with a SS Ultraflow muffler. I also do the same cat mod Alan mentioned. I have a turn down on the tail pipe and it isn't bad even on the highway. Get a little popping on decel but it doesn't bother me. My muffler broke off at the flange a few weeks ago and HOLY DRONE CITY! But at cruise on the highway it wasn't all that bad but any accel or decel it was ridiculous. I attributed it to the sound waves bouncing off the inside of the bumper but the odd thing was at cruise it wasn't much louder than with the muffler back on.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Another question... do you have stiff motor mounts and/or bobble strut?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    Good points, they do transmit alot more "noise" than stock mounts.

Years ago, had a stock exhaust system from a caravan, I would use it for emission's testing until a scrap guy took it away without permisssion, anyhow, it was soooo quiet, it was unreal, lol, so smooth, you could hear pin's drop, lol but man, did it hold the engine back,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    If you searched, you'd find like 10 threads from me on it,
    I did a quik search and did see some info on your van, just wanted to hear some other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by mr glenn View Post
    +1on the exhaust tip beyond the bumper, Most of the Drone comes from the sound bouncing off the car body They sell the 3'' turn downs at auto zone
    Tip is past the bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I do have solid motor mounts, I guess that could be the problem.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Good points, they do transmit alot more "noise" than stock mounts.

Years ago, had a stock exhaust system from a caravan, I would use it for emission's testing until a scrap guy took it away without permisssion, anyhow, it was soooo quiet, it was unreal, lol, so smooth, you could hear pin's drop, lol but man, did it hold the engine back,
    I have a stock Spirit R/T also with nothing done to it and it is amazing the difference in the sounds between the 2, or the lack of sound in the stock R/T.

Quote Originally Posted by dds78910
    I did a quik search and did see some info on your van, just wanted to hear some other ideas.
    Just bugging you, I am the only one that seems to complain about it, lol.

Hybrid booster

I'm running a full 3 inch system with a cat (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-94109/) and Magnaflow straight thru muffler (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12619/) along with a dual resonator tip (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-95-9919/). But I do have this vibration only at 2200 rpm. Maybe because of the mounting?

^^^^^^^^NO balance shafts?

Hybrid booster

^^^^^^^^NO balance shafts?
    It's a 2.2. And it's exhaust related - never happened before I put the 3 inch system on.

Quote Originally Posted by DevoBuzz View Post
    It's a 2.2. And it's exhaust related - never happened before I put the 3 inch system on.
    2.2's came with BS's, depends on which engine you have,

I think the larger piping causes the exhaust to bounce around per say, causing more drone, I find 2.5 inch have much less of a drone issue.

Hybrid booster

Like Simon says...from my experience, 2.5 vs 3in makes a big noise difference.

1st example...Spirit R/T with 2.5 and no muffler or cat. She was slightly drone-y on the highway, but not unacceptable. Sounded very good at idle and WOT.

2nd...Spirit R/T w/3in and two long Dynomax race bullets (about 23") was awesome. No drone at speed, sounded great at idle and WOT. Had several people at meetings comment on how good it sounded at idle.
    I parted that car and still have the complete exhaust.

Both of those R/T's had full exhausts all the way to the rear bumper.

I'd suggest a second muffler in the resonator position, after the axle. I didn't have any problem fitting a DM long bullet in that spot. That should make it sound sweet...

Make sure the tailpipe clears the rear bumper so you don't melt it.

CG

Hybrid booster

2.2's came with BS's, depends on which engine you have,

I think the larger piping causes the exhaust to bounce around per say, causing more drone, I find 2.5 inch have much less of a drone issue.
    Hey I didn't know that - which 2.2's had shafts? The Masi motor?

Yeah I bet the 3 inch causes some resonating frequency - in my case for my layout right at 2200 rpm.

turbo addict

TIII and TIV 2.2's had balance shafts.

In my TIII cars the resonation usually peaks around 3000 rpm.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Since it is an AA, what is the condition of the sound deadening behind the rear seat?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast