Thread: Will a "005" head gasket work with an O-ringed block?

Question Will a "005" head gasket work with an O-ringed block?

I have a .030 over block with JE's thats going into my 87 GLHS, and it has O-rings on it. The rings stick up about .010 from the deck. Would an "005" head gasket work OK? I used to run solid copper gaskets on my nitrous Chevys but they were pretty pricey.

Re: Will a "005" head gasket work with an O-ringed block?

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh View Post
    I have a .030 over block with JE's thats going into my 87 GLHS, and it has O-rings on it. The rings stick up about .010 from the deck. Would an "005" head gasket work OK? I used to run solid copper gaskets on my nitrous Chevys but they were pretty pricey.
    The MP "007" or "008" (cross drilled) are the correct HGs for this application but they were discontinued years ago. The insert seams on the MP "005" and "006" are on the deck side so the O-Ring would not imbed and seal properly. You will have to go with a copper HG or you could try removing the O-Rings.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

We've used the felpro gasket on Barry Miles' o-ringed motor on his Omni. The fire rings are wide enough that the or-ings embed into them. It's worked fine on his car, which is a 2.2 8v in the 325+ whp range.

Hybrid booster

My block is o-ringed and I use that gasket. Works just fine

Hybrid booster

If the o-rings were installed per the instructions in the old Direct Connection manual then run the Fel-Pro gasket. It was developed to be used with o-rings and have them embed into the fire ring like Pat mentioned.

I have an 007 that I bought years ago if the op is interested, the package has been opened if that means anything. It looks identical to the 005 except the fire rings are flipped.

later Dick Westerhof