Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unsprung Hub on the Street

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Re: Unsprung Hub on the Street

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Wait so your wife is 3mo pregnant??

Whenever i get to it, the next clutch disc thats going in my aries is an unsprung 3puck.

Ondonti's been running an unsprung 3puck for a long time, with a #3300 plate iirc. I bet the plate would bother most people more than the disc.
    Agreed! What has made the 3 puck so drivable is the easy peddal and lomg engagement (not a switch)

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Yuppers...
    The full faced carbon/metalic is also a solid hub, in case you didn't know that. It's the smoothest most streetable single disc 650+ WTQ clutch I've driven so far.
    Engages smoother than a sprung 6 puck, but I was getting a little "stiff" shifting above 6500rpm. Never missed a shift or ground, just an uneasy feeling that my synchros were going to suffer if I really started putting it through the gears at high rpm on a constant basis.

I decided to try the exact same set-up but with the lightest (also supposed to be the harshest) disc I could run, being the 3 puck solid hub. Now maybe I was more prepared than most, because I was expecting to really have to pay attention on engagement, but I was pleasently surprised to see that it really wasn't much worse than my old 4 puck sprung. (unless you leave wrong! lol) + the car shifts at 7000rpm like I'm siting parked in my driveway!

Now don't get me wrong, if your going to be bothered by having to pay attention to driving your car (ie don't want to have to be conscience of the clutch) at all times when driving, then this clutch isn't for you. It will humble you if your a timid driver, but knowing that my goal is 9's there was no way the heavier smoother full faced disc was going to get me there. Holding power, Yes. High RPM shifting quality, No.

I really thought the 3 puck might make the Charger unstreetable, maybe it does as I'm not sure about the wife driving it with this set-up. (and that's sort of been my criteria for streetability) I know that it's no problem for me, but if it were to engage at low rpm and shake the car it might freak her out a bit.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Shadow, what clutch setup are you currently running? it's a 3 puck unspring disc? What pp?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I'm not saying that a unsprung puck is unstreetable, just annoying in a DD. I drive my cars to work and everywhere else every day, in all weather. and having to raise the revs up high to slip it properly is not really what I want driving around town. Especially if there is a police across the light from me on a hill on a rainy day Although it's not too bad on my 6-puck sprung, but if I happen to forget and not rev it right, it feels like it's about to shake the drivetrain right out on the ground. I just find it annoying is all. If it was a weekend car or occasional driver, I wouldn't care so much.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Shadow, what clutch setup are you currently running? it's a 3 puck unspring disc? What pp?
    I'm running the ACT HD SRT-4 PP + 11lb steel flywheel with 3 puck solid hub disc (1lb 13oz) This set-up is rated to 615WTQ with a 4 puck or 6 puck, if you believe that less surface on the disc = more holding than it should be good to 650+WTQ.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

The flywheel is for the SRT or does the stock one work with that setup?

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yep, that's what they are for, plus the wave spring between the clutch material, forget its name,
    Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Damn, missed another one! lol DJ, I've been running a 3 puck solid hub in the Charger since last fall. IF you can't drive a manual trans to the point that you know how to modulate a clutch peddal to compensate for RPM your going to need to take off from then I could see this set-up driving some ppl crazy. Having said that, I find it slightly touchier that a 4 puck sprung, that's it!

Chatter is about the same as my old 4 puck sprung and once use to it I forgot it was even in there. Drove through WPG one day, rush hour and all and on the way back home it suddenly dawned on me that I was driving a solid hub 3 puck! lol That was all the proof I needed to disspell everything I'd heard about solid hub discs being undrivable on the street!

So yes, Totally comes down to how well you can handle a manual trans + I Always break my clutches in for 6-800kms which is what it always seems to take before they go smooth. (for lack of a better term) That is to say, your driving and bringing up the rpm to keep them from chatter while your engaging from a dead stop and all of a sudden one day you notice that you can leave without needing so much RPM, engagement smooths right out and only chatters if you mistakenly leave off idle.

Only issue with the 3 puck is IF you attempt to leave off idle (by mistake or any other means) it will begin to shake the car and I can only imagine what it would feel like if you continued and fully engaged the disc in that circumstance. Any time I've had this happen (felt it begin to happen) I simply put the clutch peddal back down and brought the rpm up a little and go. Common sense if you ask me.
    That sounds exactly like a sintered iron disc (Rev-Lock) that is sprung. Once I got used to it, I'd totally forget about it.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I'm not saying that a unsprung puck is unstreetable, just annoying in a DD. I drive my cars to work and everywhere else every day, in all weather. and having to raise the revs up high to slip it properly is not really what I want driving around town. Especially if there is a police across the light from me on a hill on a rainy day Although it's not too bad on my 6-puck sprung, but if I happen to forget and not rev it right, it feels like it's about to shake the drivetrain right out on the ground. I just find it annoying is all. If it was a weekend car or occasional driver, I wouldn't care so much.
    Thanks for the input. I think I can take a little annoying over a hole in my trans and mass carnage if the sprung hub were ever to come apart at the strip. I would like to push towards the high 500whp range this year and shift at 8000-8200 so I'm prepared for a little less comfort on the street.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Thanks for the input. I think I can take a little annoying over a hole in my trans and mass carnage if the sprung hub were ever to come apart at the strip. I would like to push towards the high 500whp range this year and shift at 8000-8200 so I'm prepared for a little less comfort on the street.
    And you'll benefit from the weight savings!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    The flywheel is for the SRT or does the stock one work with that setup?
    The flywheel is for the SRT-4. The PP is too large for a stock flywheel which is the reason this doesn't work on the TIII's. (the lightend flywheel can't except the crank trigger windows) If someone Really wanted to, they could make it work by ovaling the holes 1/8" inward and redrilling the stock flywheel, but I don't currently see that as a viable mass production option.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Yeah, at that power level it's one of those thing you just have to learn to live with Definitely better safe than sorry.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12