Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsprung Hub on the Street

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Unsprung Hub on the Street

Has anyone run an unsprung hub on the street? How bad is it really? Keep in mind I've been running a sprung 4 puck on the street for years and I find it's just a matter of slipping the clutch a tad more to get rid of chatter. I'm getting tierd of the loose spring rattle but I'm afraid that an unsprung will be unmanagable on a sunny day DD. We don't get a whole lot of stop and go traffic up here but it happens occasionally. So, I'm looking for experience not just what you think it will be like. Thx.

turbo addict

Re: Unsprung Hub on the Street

I'm going to an unsprung hub here soon. I don't know how it'll be but everyone told me I wouldn't like my 6 puck sprung hub in stop and go traffic. And that's not the case at all as it's better than any stock clutch I've driven. So I'm thinking I'm really going to like the un-sprung setup and that it'll suit my driving style.

turbo addict

I have a friend with a 240sx that is running an unsprug hub, I would say it depends on how picky you are for drivability, this is a dam near full race setup car and it is very chattery when he goes to take off. In alot of stop and go traffic you wouldnt want it IMO. Especially if your hauling anyone not interested in performance I would think, wife/some kids they would get annoyed very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    I have a friend with a 240sx that is running an unsprug hub, I would say it depends on how picky you are for drivability, this is a dam near full race setup car and it is very chattery when he goes to take off. In alot of stop and go traffic you wouldnt want it IMO. Especially if your hauling anyone not interested in performance I would think, wife/some kids they would get annoyed very quickly.
    Ya, I just wonder how much chatter is attributed to driving style. I don't mind things being a bit more difficult as long as it is managable. As for the wife and kids, my wife already hates the car and I think she has only ridden in it 2 or 3 times since I got it on the road. It also has no back seat and my kid is -6 months old so it won't be in there for a while. Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I have had unsprung hubs in the Z (6-puck) behind the 2.2L and various a 4-pucks in the T2 Shadow. They can chatter a bit leaving a stop gently but not too bad IMO. I currently have a sprung hub in the Z behind the 2.4L and get zero chatter on the street so I guess thats what the springs are for, LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

I have not driven a TM with an unsprung disk. I have spent a while behind the wheel of a '00 Camaro SS with an unsprung hub, 6 puck ceramic clutch. It was very smooth engaging, much smoother than the 4 or 6 puck ceramics that I've had in my R/T.

turbo addict

I broke 2 sprung hubs in my van and then went 4 puck unsprung hub. It was hard to take off without some chatter but it didn't break anymore. Accelerated wear with the ceramic button clutch on both flywheel and pp. I would think the lighter the car the worse it will be with the chatter and harshness on engagement.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I have had unsprung hubs in the Z (6-puck) behind the 2.2L and various a 4-pucks in the T2 Shadow. They can chatter a bit leaving a stop gently but not too bad IMO. I currently have a sprung hub in the Z behind the 2.4L and get zero chatter on the street so I guess thats what the springs are for, LOL
    Yep, that's what they are for, plus the wave spring between the clutch material, forget its name,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Well it looks like it is managable. Guess I'll get a quote from Chris since the tranny is coming out. The current disc hasn't slipped once on me and so far it just makes a racket at idle but I'm afraid someday it will blow right apart and carnage will insue.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I'll never run an unsprung hub in a street car, not a 4-cyl anyway. I drove my brother's Honda EG hatch for a month or so, B20/B18 hybrid w/ a gsr trans and some 4-puck unsprung Stage 4 or 5 racing clutch (forget the brand, Exedy maybe?). It was absolutely horrible, we called it the lightswitch clutch. It was either in or out, unless you revved the crap out of it and slipped it real easy. Stalled it everywhere if I didn't get it just right, even on flat ground. Maybe an engine w/ more torque might be easier, but I don't even like the 6-puck sprung hub and T3 plate I have in the Daytona, pretty chattery on take-off.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yep, that's what they are for, plus the wave spring between the clutch material, forget its name,
    Marcel
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I'll never run an unsprung hub in a street car, not a 4-cyl anyway. I drove my brother's Honda EG hatch for a month or so, B20/B18 hybrid w/ a gsr trans and some 4-puck unsprung Stage 4 or 5 racing clutch (forget the brand, Exedy maybe?). It was absolutely horrible, we called it the lightswitch clutch. It was either in or out, unless you revved the crap out of it and slipped it real easy. Stalled it everywhere if I didn't get it just right, even on flat ground. Maybe an engine w/ more torque might be easier, but I don't even like the 6-puck sprung hub and T3 plate I have in the Daytona, pretty chattery on take-off.
    Comparing the no torque off idle or up till 4grand n/a honda to a TD doesn't work. My buddies 98 Civic EX you couldn't let the clutch out slow enough on a flat driveway if you didn't give it any gas. Where a TD you can let the clutch out pretty quick with no gas and it'll roll away. Hell a friends 85 Laser with a 2.5 would spin the 225's on wet ground just side stepping the clutch without giving it any gas in the wet.

Garrett booster

I've been running a 6 puck clutchnet (ceramic) unsprung disc and I haven't had any issues so far. Compared to stock it's touchy and doesn't have much give. Is it streetable? 100% IMO. After some practice you can barely notice. This was with a stock 3.0L PP. The next time I take the van for a drive it'll have a stock T3 plate, but I don't expect much to differ.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Damn, missed another one! lol DJ, I've been running a 3 puck solid hub in the Charger since last fall. IF you can't drive a manual trans to the point that you know how to modulate a clutch peddal to compensate for RPM your going to need to take off from then I could see this set-up driving some ppl crazy. Having said that, I find it slightly touchier that a 4 puck sprung, that's it!

Chatter is about the same as my old 4 puck sprung and once use to it I forgot it was even in there. Drove through WPG one day, rush hour and all and on the way back home it suddenly dawned on me that I was driving a solid hub 3 puck! lol That was all the proof I needed to disspell everything I'd heard about solid hub discs being undrivable on the street!

So yes, Totally comes down to how well you can handle a manual trans + I Always break my clutches in for 6-800kms which is what it always seems to take before they go smooth. (for lack of a better term) That is to say, your driving and bringing up the rpm to keep them from chatter while your engaging from a dead stop and all of a sudden one day you notice that you can leave without needing so much RPM, engagement smooths right out and only chatters if you mistakenly leave off idle.

Only issue with the 3 puck is IF you attempt to leave off idle (by mistake or any other means) it will begin to shake the car and I can only imagine what it would feel like if you continued and fully engaged the disc in that circumstance. Any time I've had this happen (felt it begin to happen) I simply put the clutch peddal back down and brought the rpm up a little and go. Common sense if you ask me.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hey, where's Carroll at? Carroll! Get your but in here!

You just went from a 4 puck sprung to a 6 puck solid didn't you? Feel free to share your opinion!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

Rob, I thought you were running your super uber clutch in the Shadow, or am I getting somethign twisted around and backwards as usual!? LOL

Are you talking about the full faced carbon/metalic set-up?

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

my kid is -6 months old
    Wait so your wife is 3mo pregnant??

Whenever i get to it, the next clutch disc thats going in my aries is an unsprung 3puck.

Ondonti's been running an unsprung 3puck for a long time, with a #3300 plate iirc. I bet the plate would bother most people more than the disc.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Are you talking about the full faced carbon/metalic set-up?
    Yuppers...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Damn, missed another one! lol DJ, I've been running a 3 puck solid hub in the Charger since last fall. IF you can't drive a manual trans to the point that you know how to modulate a clutch peddal to compensate for RPM your going to need to take off from then I could see this set-up driving some ppl crazy. Having said that, I find it slightly touchier that a 4 puck sprung, that's it!

Chatter is about the same as my old 4 puck sprung and once use to it I forgot it was even in there. Drove through WPG one day, rush hour and all and on the way back home it suddenly dawned on me that I was driving a solid hub 3 puck! lol That was all the proof I needed to disspell everything I'd heard about solid hub discs being undrivable on the street!

So yes, Totally comes down to how well you can handle a manual trans + I Always break my clutches in for 6-800kms which is what it always seems to take before they go smooth. (for lack of a better term) That is to say, your driving and bringing up the rpm to keep them from chatter while your engaging from a dead stop and all of a sudden one day you notice that you can leave without needing so much RPM, engagement smooths right out and only chatters if you mistakenly leave off idle.

Only issue with the 3 puck is IF you attempt to leave off idle (by mistake or any other means) it will begin to shake the car and I can only imagine what it would feel like if you continued and fully engaged the disc in that circumstance. Any time I've had this happen (felt it begin to happen) I simply put the clutch peddal back down and brought the rpm up a little and go. Common sense if you ask me.
    Thanks for the input Rob. I figured it could be done with a bit of driving style adjustment. I know what you mean about the "going smooth" part. I find the same thing with the sprung 4 pucks. Its like one day you just realize, hey, where did the chatter go? Unfortunately for the last two by that time I had the ugly sound of spring chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Wait so your wife is 3mo pregnant??
    Lol, I was wondering if someone would pick that up. Good job

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast