Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: well I guess I'll jump on the band wagon of 2.5 16v's.

turbo addict

well I guess I'll jump on the band wagon of 2.5 16v's.

I'll have to start up a photobucket account at some point since the administrator of the PNW-sdac decided to make it so we can't post pics here.

Specs:
    2.5 using Masi CB
    Custom JE's
    Oliver 6.160" 570g billet steel rods 1.506vs. 1.453 rod ratio. Not much but anything helps.

NOS Masi 16v head, upgraded springs and valves (cause the stock ones suck)
    GT30R turbo
    Treadstone TVR25 O intercooler.

That's about it, I'll post pics and weights as things come in.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Re: well I guess I'll jump on the band wagon of 2.5 16v's.

Jay, you can get longer with the rods if you want the better ratio. No... I'm not going to talk you out of the 2.5 (but you know that's my opinion) Not sure how the deck height combined with rod length and stroke calculate out, but a huge majority of performance engines we build use "rails" on the pistons. If you're not familiar with it, when you relocate the compression heights (pin location) up really high for a short piston, the pin bore goes right through the oil control rings and there's no support from the piston groove as it's now gone. The rail support is a thicker ring that locate in there after the piston/rod assembly is together, then you put on your rings and expander.

Oliver rods are very kick-azz and so are JEs. I wanted JEs for my build, but at $550 for justthe pistons +$80 for rings, vs. $450 for Wiseco pistons/rings my choice was obvious. Next build I'll probably go JEs.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

Well if I have the same rev range as my 8v with stock rods I'll be happy. In the pig heavy Tona the 2.5 really is a much nicer motor to drive. The 2.2 is just too soft off idle for my liking in that car So a bit longer ratio and dropping over a lb off the rotating mass should be just fine. Yea the JE's aren't cheap, but seeing what they looked like after the abuse they've taken over the 10 years I've been learning how to tune the ECU's or had other people try and tune it I'll stick with them. Any forged pistons are nice and are much better than the stockers.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Jay, you can get longer with the rods if you want the better ratio. No... I'm not going to talk you out of the 2.5 (but you know that's my opinion) Not sure how the deck height combined with rod length and stroke calculate out, but a huge majority of performance engines we build use "rails" on the pistons. If you're not familiar with it, when you relocate the compression heights (pin location) up really high for a short piston, the pin bore goes right through the oil control rings and there's no support from the piston groove as it's now gone. The rail support is a thicker ring that locate in there after the piston/rod assembly is together, then you put on your rings and expander.

Oliver rods are very kick-azz and so are JEs. I wanted JEs for my build, but at $550 for justthe pistons +$80 for rings, vs. $450 for Wiseco pistons/rings my choice was obvious. Next build I'll probably go JEs.

i was told by a friend of mine that works at Wiseco that they make pistons for JE

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I'll have to start up a photobucket account at some point since the administrator of the PNW-sdac decided to make it so we can't post pics here.

Specs:
    2.5 using Masi CB
    Custom JE's
    Oliver 6.160" 570g billet steel rods 1.506vs. 1.453 rod ratio. Not much but anything helps.

NOS Masi 16v head, upgraded springs and valves (cause the stock ones suck)
    GT30R turbo
    Treadstone TVR25 O intercooler.

That's about it, I'll post pics and weights as things come in.
    Wierd how you cannot link them here, usually no problems linking pics here from anywhere. Feel free to post them here by attaching them to your post or putting them in our gallery.

Interesting.... Masi 2.5L is this a first? I think the other 2.5L 16V's are either hybrid or Lotus head?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Hmmm, same head *similar* turbo GT3576, fully built shortblock (Diamond's and Pauter's, and ProGram caps) yet I am de-stroking to 2l with a heavily reworked NOS IMSA crank(that took almost a year at the shop that everyone reccomended) If we both reach our goals it will be awesome, comparing Dyno sheets would be an interesting read

What springs did you use, same as I did with the RDI set? Did you use the duals(this motor I did another motor I used the cups and singles) Do you have light at the end of the tunnel or no real completion date yet?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    i was told by a friend of mine that works at Wiseco that they make pistons for JE
    No, JE and Wiseco are totally seperate companies. Even the pins they use are totally different.

JE and SRP are the same company.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Wierd how you cannot link them here, usually no problems linking pics here from anywhere. Feel free to post them here by attaching them to your post or putting them in our gallery.

Interesting.... Masi 2.5L is this a first? I think the other 2.5L 16V's are either hybrid or Lotus head?
    It's not a TM thing, the administrator of the PNWSDAC site shut that option down somehow. Here's the Email we got "I did a tuneup on the gallery installation and changed a few settings with the way files are served and hotlinking are handled. We were getting about 7,500 hits a week from about 50 countries just for ---- speedtest image.
    You can still post to forums but you have to use a link instead of inserting the image or photo. This helps when someone responds to your post and then all the pictures reload over and over. " names are edited out.

It might be the 1st 2.5 Masi. AFAIK it is, but then there are a lot of Masi people that hide out in the shadows it seems like.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Hmmm, same head *similar* turbo GT3576, fully built shortblock (Diamond's and Pauter's, and ProGram caps) yet I am de-stroking to 2l with a heavily reworked NOS IMSA crank(that took almost a year at the shop that everyone reccomended) If we both reach our goals it will be awesome, comparing Dyno sheets would be an interesting read

What springs did you use, same as I did with the RDI set? Did you use the duals(this motor I did another motor I used the cups and singles) Do you have light at the end of the tunnel or no real completion date yet?
    Did you do any porting Alan? This head will be stock in that regards. I don't know if I'll mod the intake at all. I might just port the stocker for a 58mm TB and call it good.

I'm actually very interested in Juggy's T3 2.5 thread as it'll be a pretty close back to back comparison of the T3 and Masi in 2.5 configuration.

Head needs to go to Rick. I don't know what spring options I have other than that I've been told the stock springs should be replaced for any type of rpm increase. I need to get in touch with Rick and discuss it with him.

Light at the end of the tunnel? Yes. I want the car up and running by Memorial day. I'm tired of driving this Gas Guzzler of an Auto 2.2 New Yorker around. I want my 32+ city MPG Tona back on the road.

turbo addict

I'm in the market for either a 89 Masi 16v crank gear or an 88 square tooth 5 bolt gear.

I'm in the market for either a 89 Masi 16v crank gear or an 88 square tooth 5 bolt gear.
    Uh, what happened to yours? Is it cracked 1/2 way thru? I have one that broke that way, I just tapped the threads deeper and ran longer bolts. Still holding years later

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

turbo addict

I have one for my Ti rodded motor, need one for the 2.5

Hybrid booster

I am really interested in in the progress on this one.. As the bottom end that gets built for the spare head I have laying around is getting a 2.5 crank for sure... After October the Charger is getting a big block for sure...

Pictures and specs of what you came up with for pistons would be awesome!!!

(I will check the stash though and see if i don't have an 88 crank gear around.. I know I have one on the GLHS I could swap if it really came down to that "88 T2 engine in there now' )

turbo addict

Picture's I'll get when they come in. As for specs that was easy. I picked up the phone one saturday (I'm not on the east coast) called Mike at FM and told him what I wanted for a compression ratio and what size bore. He did the rest.

There ya go Todd
    Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 04-22-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Hybrid booster

Cheater...

turbo addict

Cheater/Laziness/stress free/smart take your pick

turbo addict

Rods and pistons shipped today! Should have them next week.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Uh, what happened to yours? Is it cracked 1/2 way thru? I have one that broke that way, I just tapped the threads deeper and ran longer bolts. Still holding years later
    hehe Alan, wait till you see what I've come up with. Let's just say I'll have the lightest CB masi crank gear around

Rods and pistons shipped today! Should have them next week.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

hehe Alan, wait till you see what I've come up with. Let's just say I'll have the lightest CB masi crank gear around
    You know I too thought about carving one out of Balsa wood but decided against it

turbo addict

nahh, no wood. It'll weigh less than a CB gear, less than an 88 5 bolt gear, but probably a bit more than an 87 and earlier gear.

turbo addict

Here to give you a hell yeah.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Thanks Ondonti.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast