Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: well I guess I'll jump on the band wagon of 2.5 16v's.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: well I guess I'll jump on the band wagon of 2.5 16v's.

4 cylinder stroker big blocks FTW

turbo addict

Picked up the pistons and rods tonight, I've got pics but my gallery page is down.

Steve, the pistons have oil ring rails. The pin is WAY up there and the top ring is way down. Gonna take them to work and get an accurate weight. mmmmm

turbo addict

Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 01-26-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Hybrid booster

You ended up with a decent amount of meat above the top ring for a 2.5.... I assume the rod is a bit shorter than typical???

edit...

No wait... I see.. they crammed the pin into the oil ring...

turbo addict

Nice parts Jay,
    What cc dish are those pistons? A gold fish could swim in them. Target compression ratio? What is the CH height? I would consider building a 2.5 Masi if I could find a timing belt for use in a TD block. Using the TD, you could easily get the RR back up to 1.56:1 with using stock .360 pin height. Even slightly better with pin height you used.
    There are several 2.5 masi motors. FM actually lists a 2.5 masi piston option on catalog. No one I know of has built a TD Masi motor. If I do find a timing belt for this application it will surely be a round tooth. That will be a severe kick in the teeth seeing I had the masi cam pulleys made up, and then I could wind up using round tooth?
    Todd

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by vipernbox View Post
    You ended up with a decent amount of meat above the top ring for a 2.5.... I assume the rod is a bit shorter than typical???

edit...

No wait... I see.. they crammed the pin into the oil ring...
    The rods are 6.160" long. Rod ratio is 1.506 now vs stock 1.453. So it's a bit better than the 8v that was in the car and that had no problems revving.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Nice parts Jay,
    What cc dish are those pistons? A gold fish could swim in them. Target compression ratio? What is the CH height? I would consider building a 2.5 Masi if I could find a timing belt for use in a TD block. Using the TD, you could easily get the RR back up to 1.56:1 with using stock .360 pin height. Even slightly better with pin height you used.
    There are several 2.5 masi motors. FM actually lists a 2.5 masi piston option on catalog. No one I know of has built a TD Masi motor. If I do find a timing belt for this application it will surely be a round tooth. That will be a severe kick in the teeth seeing I had the masi cam pulleys made up, and then I could wind up using round tooth?
    Todd
    Thanks Todd. I don't know the cc dish. Target compression ratio is 8.1:1. Compression height is 1.145. Yea well I'd have 2 TD motors if you could find a freakin belt But since you can't I'm going this route. hehe.

So where are all these 2.5 Masi's? I emailed Mike at FM about the 2.5 pistons as I didn't see them on their site. He said he didn't get many request for them so I'm led to believe that there are some out there. What'd they do about their belts? Maybe you should of had the cam gears done in round tooth. It would of been easier to just swap pulleys but oh well.

Anyway, since I need another CB crank gear I stayed late at work tonight and made one. Well mostly, still have some more to do but got the internal bore and the counter bore in the back done and it's almost the right overall length.

Pic of it

Last edited by GLHNSLHT2; 01-26-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Hybrid booster

What is the problem with finding a belt? The sentra belt or something similar wont work??? (if you go round tooth) What does it need? one extra tooth over a stock masi belt to make it work using the square tooth setup on the TD block, or what? There is a company here in town that makes all kinds of oddball conveyer and weird industrial one off timing type belts.. Do you have the specs of exactly what is needed.. I know a couple guys down there.. Getting a quote shouldn't be a big deal..

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

http://www.hannarubbercompany.com/PO...ANSMISSION.php

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by vipernbox View Post
    What is the problem with finding a belt? The sentra belt or something similar wont work??? (if you go round tooth) What does it need? one extra tooth over a stock masi belt to make it work using the square tooth setup on the TD block, or what? There is a company here in town that makes all kinds of oddball conveyer and weird industrial one off timing type belts.. Do you have the specs of exactly what is needed.. I know a couple guys down there.. Getting a quote shouldn't be a big deal..

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------
    http://www.hannarubbercompany.com/PO...ANSMISSION.php
    The masi belt is 134 cog. Three more than Lotus (which I believe is 131). This seems hard to believe seeing how much wider the Lotus head is than the Masi. Although it does use a much smaller aux shaft pulley I believe. Tall deck on a SOHC is two cogs longer than basic 2.2/2.5. Those being 126/124 cog respectively. Being DOHC, I'm speculating it may require an additional 3 or 4 cogs (I'm guessing) over a stock Masi belt. If it was a bit long, we could do Jackson's trick with the idler pulley.
    Here is specs on the square cog belts we use on 2.2 motors
    Pitch is .375" Pitch in mm is 9.5. Width is a bit wider than normal motor 2.2/2.5 is .937" or 24mm. Masi belt width is 1.00" or 25.4mm A 3-4 cog longer belt would then be either 137 cog 51.375" 1305mm long or 138 cog 51.75" 1314 mm long
    Hey you'll be my hero if you can find a square cog belt in those dimensions!

Sort of weird that the masi belt is thicker than the SOHC. That is not in itself weird, but the cam pulleys are thinner on the masi motor than the SOHC pulleys, but uses a thicker belt?

Does anyone know if Jackson uses a longer timing belt when he adds the idler pulley to the TIII motors?
    Todd

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hey, I'm dreamin about beating that VW pickup's SCTA and Bonneville land speed record with the Ramerati; problem is the SCTA's blown mini truck displacement cap is 2.0 . . . . sooo, does anyone else have a 2.0 crank?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

maybe alan hasn't started yet with his 2.0 masi project, go after his

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Hey, I'm dreamin about beating that VW pickup's SCTA and Bonneville land speed record with the Ramerati; problem is the SCTA's blown mini truck displacement cap is 2.0 . . . . sooo, does anyone else have a 2.0 crank?
    Cindy had two more when I bought mine about a year(or so) ago...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

I bought one of the forged raw blanks off of Cindy 2 years ago.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    First of all, sorry for the hijack Jay. John, did you miss this thread? http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...estroked-crank
    It looks like it is a early style crank. Then optimally you should find the early style mexican cast block that has all the CB webbing in it. (I have one). Reading that thread, he really didn't have a use for it, but bought it because it's unique.
    Cindy had some. Not sure what that status is. A well known head porter on the east coast is building up a 2.0 that is a CB version crank. It appears a couple different varieties by different manufacturers were produced.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 04-15-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added sorry for the hijack

Hybrid booster

Hey you'll be my hero if you can find a square cog belt in those dimensions!

Todd
    Well... I am not making any promises... But emails have been sent...

(and sorry for the highjack) The standard issue 16v Masi belts are still available somewhere I assume?

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Picked up the pistons and rods tonight, I've got pics but my gallery page is down.

Steve, the pistons have oil ring rails. The pin is WAY up there and the top ring is way down. Gonna take them to work and get an accurate weight. mmmmm
    Talking to me? I seem to recall mentioning this to you in our PM on the Oliver rod choice (which I give a big thumbs up for)

Don't forget on those "rails" that the indentation is used to keep the rail from spinning so the gap doesn't line up with the opening in the ring groove. Put the dot bump facing down in that ring groove opening)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

First of all, sorry for the hijack Jay. John, did you miss this thread? http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...estroked-crank
    It looks like it is a early style crank. Then optimally you should find the early style mexican cast block that has all the CB webbing in it. (I have one). Reading that thread, he really didn't have a use for it, but bought it because it's unique.
    Cindy had some. Not sure what that status is. A well known head porter on the east coast is building up a 2.0 that is a CB version crank. It appears a couple different varieties by different manufacturers were produced.
    Todd
    No I didn't, but I did forget about it. LOL Thanks Todd.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

John, I'll let the thread hijack slide if you've gotten my exhaust housing into the mail already. ???

turbo addict

Jay,
    Just looked at your completed crank pulley. Well done! You could sell those! I'll bet a few guys would be in the market. At least you wouldn't have any surprises making them as you know what needs to be done. I'll bet you have a few hours into that one.
    Todd

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

^Pics in the thread Jay?? I missed them, where they be?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Alan, post 23 has a link.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    ^Pics in the thread Jay?? I missed them, where they be?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast