Thread: Speed Sensor

Speed Sensor

So, my speedometer stopped working and the consensus was the damn plastic speed sensor, the one that bolts into the passenger side extension housing on the transmission. The trans is an 89 A-555 and I'm trying to find the part. According to the dealer it's $74 and the part number he gave me is 5227897.

Now, I don't know if that's right or not. Does any know what part number I need?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Speed Sensor

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214996

Is the plastic gear chewed up ? The new vss wont come with one, you gotta buy one seperate.

That link just takes me to a parts search. I haven't looked but that's what I'm assuming. I would figure that the part that bolts into that housing is all one piece?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    That link just takes me to a parts search. I haven't looked but that's what I'm assuming. I would figure that the part that bolts into that housing is all one piece?
    Its held in with one 10mm headed bolt and slides up. The gear simply snaps off.

Do you have a code for the VSS, if not, then most likely the speedo took a dump.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Ne CEL has been thrown the speedo just doesn't work. It stopped working shortly after I replaced the intermediate shaft with an unequal length axle.

So, looking at my part PDF I found part number 4269950: 19 Teeth, w/14",15",16" Tire, Color YELLOW. I would assume that's just the gear as I looked it up and it's only $5. The part number the dealer gave me is probably for the VSS then?

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

There are two styles of speed sensors, and two styles of speedometers (and they are even mixed use in some years). Cable driven speedometers need a VSS that has a place for the speedo cable to screw into the top of it. I've found that most cars with cruise at least have a cable that goes from the VSS to the cruise control.

Electric speedometers run from a signal from the ECU (SMEC/SBEC) that originates in the VSS. Those speed sensors do not have the provision for a speedo cable, only two leads coming off of it. So you need to look to see which type you have before you buy one.

Electrically, the two VSS sensors are identical and can be switched. If the VSS is bad, it should throw a code, but not necessarily turn on the CEL. One other thing to look at is if the cruise works. If the cruise doesn't work then it is probably the sensor (or the drive gear on it). But if the cruise control works fine, there is nothing wrong with your speed sensor/gear/cable. Then the problem is most likely in the speedo itself.

From the 1989 parts manual, 5227896 is for use with the speedo cable, and 5227897 is the sensor that doesn't use a speedo cable.

For the gear itself, 3 different ones were used in 1989.

The 19 teeth is part number 4269950
    The 20 teeth is part number 5222390
    The 21 teeth is part number 5222388 There is a note that P205/50VR15 tires use this one.
    There are no other tire size references listed.

Barry
    Last edited by sdac guy; 03-11-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Ne CEL has been thrown the speedo just doesn't work. It stopped working shortly after I replaced the intermediate shaft with an unequal length axle.

So, looking at my part PDF I found part number 4269950: 19 Teeth, w/14",15",16" Tire, Color YELLOW. I would assume that's just the gear as I looked it up and it's only $5. The part number the dealer gave me is probably for the VSS then?
    There should be a code if the VSS stops working.

Sounds like you somehow damaged the gear or its just a fluke and bad timing the sensor went.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Well, here's a picture. Looks to be electric to me. Being a GTC, it came with 16" wheels. I'm guessing the right part number for the gear is 4269950 AR 19 Teeth, w/14",15",16" Tire, Color YELLOW?

I'll have to try out the CC idea before I buy anything. I just want to make sure I get the right part numbers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	311.3 KB 
ID:	29559  

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Thats the non cable sensor, so the p/n the dealer gave you is correct. The actual speedo gear will be color coded as to identify it.

BTW, there is no reason to pay big bucks and buy it at the dealer. Save a couple bucks and either buy it locally or online. RockAuto has them starting at about $20 and going to $36. To find it on their site, look up your make, year, model of the car. Go to electrical and it lists speed sensors. Once there, type in the mopar part number to filter the search to only those you are interested in.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Ah!

I didn't know you could search RA with factory part numbers.

I'm not sure you can search with PN initially. But once the listing for all the speed sensors comes up, there is a search box above the listing for "narrowing" the list. They also list the factory PN in the listing with some of the sensors. Initially the list of sensors is about 15-20 items long. After entering the PN, the list only showed 3 choices.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T