Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone successfully re-title their #'d car as a "Shelby"?

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Re: Anyone successfully re-title their #'d car as a "Shelby"?

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    So...
    My vehicle regristration now reads:
    "Manufacturer: Shelby"
    "Model: Charger GLHS"
    !!!!

I guess I should get my insurance papers changed now to match!
    Very cool!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

GOOD STUFF!!!
    I would be interested in talking with you. If you don't mind please pm me your phone # and I'll give you a call.

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    So...
    My vehicle regristration now reads:
    "Model: Charger GLHS"
    !!!!

I guess I should get my insurance papers changed now to match!

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Mitsu booster

There's a lot of interesting info in this thread, and now its' got me thinking.

My Shelby Lancer (#707 5-speed cloth) is originally one of the few Thrifty Rentals - I wonder if Thrifty has paperwork stating it as a Shelby (assuming the title didn't always say Dodge) or if the California DMV has any dated records on file for it as well. As the car had been stolen sometime before 1991, I wonder if that has affected the title any.

My Utah title currently reads "DODG LES" ... Now I can understand the truncation to an extent (its being referred to as a Dodge Lancer ES), but I do know first-hand that Utah screws up titles all the time, as my 1987 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R is listed even on the "new" Utah title as a"MITS STA", which drives me nuts. I'm waiting until that car is back to 100% and drivable before attempting the same title re-label. If I have to register them both out-of-state initially to fix the issue then so be it, as I live in Salt Lake City, UT but work in Albuquerque, NM.

Focus turning back to the Shelby though, I do have a Shelby invoice for the replacement dash plaque, as well as company letterhead memo from Jan Burton, in addition to the SSM from Shelby for the Lancer. However all this title change goodness really is moot to me if the car was always reg'd as a Dodge - I'm more centered on keeping the paperwork as close to it leaving Shelby's hands as possible, not just what I want it to say.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Daviticus View Post
    There's a lot of interesting info in this thread, and now its' got me thinking.

My Shelby Lancer (#707 5-speed cloth) is originally one of the few Thrifty Rentals - I wonder if Thrifty has paperwork stating it as a Shelby (assuming the title didn't always say Dodge) or if the California DMV has any dated records on file for it as well. As the car had been stolen sometime before 1991, I wonder if that has affected the title any.

Focus turning back to the Shelby though, I do have a Shelby invoice for the replacement dash plaque, as well as company letterhead memo from Jan Burton, in addition to the SSM from Shelby for the Lancer. However all this title change goodness really is moot to me if the car was always reg'd as a Dodge - I'm more centered on keeping the paperwork as close to it leaving Shelby's hands as possible, not just what I want it to say.
    Replacement dash plaque? How/where did you get that?

Garrett booster

After reading through this page, I take it my best bet to get the insurance value changed is to start with the dmv? My insurance doesn't recognise shelby with the dodges but when I asked about the gt350 and gt500 from the 60's they said they show values for them seperate from mustangs. I will take some pictures of the door tags and send copies of all docs including the registry cert from S.A. to the WI dmv and hope for the best.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Egodriver71 View Post
    Replacement dash plaque? How/where did you get that?
    The previous owner purchased it directly from Shelby in October '91, I'm told its one of the last repro plaques made and sold.

As far as insurance, I'm just going to have it appraised by a couple independent companies, then look at collector insurance. This car is worth the potential headache.

I think the biggest issue with this is the fact that all the Mopar Shelbys were simply altered vehicles with an existing VIN, where the original Mustang variants were VIN'd as a Shelby, with a number issued directly from the company while being built.

At least that's my view on it, I have no idea if the info is on-point or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Daviticus View Post
    I think the biggest issue with this is the fact that all the Mopar Shelbys were simply altered vehicles with an existing VIN, where the original Mustang variants were VIN'd as a Shelby, with a number issued directly from the company while being built.

At least that's my view on it, I have no idea if the info is on-point or not.
    I absolutely agree with you on this point. Had they been given special VINs where they would then have been Shelby's and not Dodges, then we could get these cars titled as such no problem. What I don't understand though is how some states do title them as Shelby's and PA does not? I know PA is stricter on things, but I had a copy of the previous title from another state in hand and that lady agreed that yes it is a Shelby but PA does not recognize the VIN as such. In this state's eyes, it's just a plain Dodge according to the VIN lol...

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moparjon2007 View Post
    After reading through this page, I take it my best bet to get the insurance value changed is to start with the dmv? My insurance doesn't recognise shelby with the dodges but when I asked about the gt350 and gt500 from the 60's they said they show values for them seperate from mustangs. I will take some pictures of the door tags and send copies of all docs including the registry cert from S.A. to the WI dmv and hope for the best.
    Gather any literature you can as well (dealer brochures, magazine articles, articles from the registry, etc.) to back up that it really is an authentic Shelby.

Garrett booster

Got the registry cert from S.A. in the mail. Also have a dealer brochure, and the owners supplement. As well as the bill of sale from the dealer when the car wqs sold used a year old where they list it as Shelby CSX... Does anyone have a original window sticker that I could get a copy of? Prefer in form of .pdf if possible.

Resident Nuke Turbo Mopar Contributor denviola's Avatar

Bill, I was able to get mine titled as a Shelby. I went in with pictures of the underhood plaques, the owner's manual, bill of sale and insurance card showing the insurance was for a Shelby CSX. She looked at my documentation one time after I asked to have it titled as a Shelby, and she made it happen.
    SDAC Member, Steel City Chapter SDAC Member, SV-SDAC member, SV-TD Member
    www.sv-td.com
    85 600 ES Turbo Conv., 91 Spirit R/T
    2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab Dually. 6.7 CTD, AISIN, 4.10 gear
    68 GS400 (owned since 1973, someday 455)
    2012 Can-AM RT Limited

Mitsu booster

Just renewed my Registration today and my car is now a 1987 Shelby GLHS
    My vehicle registration reads:
    "Model: GLHS"

Thanks to GLHS0075 for the Certificate of Authenticity he got me last fall!

Law

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

TTT so a member here with this issue can find it...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    TTT so a member here with this issue can find it...
    You son of a....

Thanks Alan, I'll see what I can get done as I read through this.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Ok, so I don't see anything that is the process. TN pretty much says, if it's on the title from the state where you're buying it, that's what we put on it. I could have a letter from Carroll Shelby stating it is what it is, but they need proof. Going to have a time I'm sure getting them to get the YEAR right, much less to get it titled as a Shelby. Oh well.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I've got a clone so I don't have to worry about seeing Shelby on the title

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Ok, so I don't see anything that is the process. TN pretty much says, if it's on the title from the state where you're buying it, that's what we put on it. I could have a letter from Carroll Shelby stating it is what it is, but they need proof. Going to have a time I'm sure getting them to get the YEAR right, much less to get it titled as a Shelby. Oh well.
    Show up with literature, some Shelby Times mags and have the inspector come out to the lot, it's on the door jam sticker, the trunk, the sills, the side panels, the valve cover, the underhood plaque, the steering wheel, the dash... The list goes on and on...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

Just to add, the original owner of my 87 CSX got it titled in the state of Virginia as a Shelby because he had the MSO back in 1987. However now, even with the MSO, the Virginia DMV can no longer currently change the make, or model, it is now based on the VIN number and their computer system.

I have no problem with this, however, the Virginia DMV is now outing even normal cars out of their database. My beloved 1990 Dodge Omni has become a 1990 Dodge Other according to the eyes of the Virginia DMV.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by DC Turismo View Post
    With me beginning work on my CSX, I'm wondering if anyone here has had success re-titling their Whittier car as a Shelby? I figure if you take pictures of all the decals, special Whittier stickers, the rad. support tag, the dash plaque, etc. showing that Dodge is no where on the vehicle appearance wise, if this was enough to get it changed? I'd like to know, so please share!

i was was able to title one of two Shelbys.
    1987 GLHS #325 came with a Certificate of Origin of Vehicle from Shelby Automobiles.
    I had to send that along with my title to the Albany NY DMV.
    They changed it to Shelby.

On the other-hand, my insurance company will only insure it by what the VIN says.
    So it's insured as a Dodge.
    Last edited by GLHS0325; 07-10-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Adding relevant insurance info.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS0325 View Post
    i was was able to title one of two Shelbys.
    1987 GLHS #325 came with a Certificate of Origin of Vehicle from Shelby Automobiles.
    I had to send that along with my title to the Albany NY DMV.
    They changed it to Shelby.

On the other-hand, my insurance company will only insure it by what the VIN says.
    So it's insured as a Dodge.
    Pretty much the same for me. State of Illinois lists it as a Shelby, but insurance lists it as a Dodge Shelby CSX.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Pretty much the same for me. State of Illinois lists it as a Shelby, but insurance lists it as a Dodge Shelby CSX.

Bring an identical second Shelby vehicle that's titled as a "Shelby" with the "Dodge" and let them compare the two. Literature also helps quite a bit.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Mitsu booster

I just bought a 89 csx vnt with a older Florida title with 67k on it and Iowa gave me the new title saying 89 Shelby csx. But odometer on title now says exempt : (
    Last edited by 03tahoez71; 10-10-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast