Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone successfully re-title their #'d car as a "Shelby"?

Re: Anyone successfully re-title their #'d car as a "Shelby"?

Ive got the original owners title for my CSXT and its titled as a Shelby. However the last owner had it titled as a dodge. Im hoping I can show them the original title and switch it back to Shelby!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Let us know how you make out. When I regestered my GLHS in Alberta the best I could get on my registration was Dodge Shelby GLHS and that was a struggle. I had all the Shelby documents and U.S. Shelby title but the VIN still interprets as a Dodge so Dodge had to be present.

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0075 View Post
    I plan to take this fight up this spring. I'll take photos, copies of literature, etc... We'll see how it goes. This is in Alberta where "registry" offices are privately owned and operated. It's currently registered as a Dodge.
    Last edited by GLHS60; 03-12-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: sp

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

In the worst case I would settle for Dodge Shelby Shadow if it really came down to it. I'd just like to have Shelby on the title somewhere.

as far as the value of the cars made at Whittier, do you think the value of the car would be effected at all based on whether the title read "dodge" versus "shelby" when selling the car to any knowledgeable buyer? i know it wouldn't make any difference to me as a buyer.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor amoparx's Avatar

do you think the value of the car would be effected at all based on whether the title read "dodge" versus "shelby"
    True. I guess, unless I heard wrong, that no 60's Shelby Mustangs were ever titled as "Shelby" I don't think that hurt their values.
    Bob Doherty..... mnsdac.com
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Daytona Shelby TII T-Top
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII
    '89 Lebaron Convert TI auto

SDAC Member.expires 05/2016.MNSDAC Vice President

turbo addict

The Shelby mustangs were titled as ford

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

At a show, was fun to say mine was a shelby theirs was a ford!!!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    as far as the value of the cars made at Whittier, do you think the value of the car would be effected at all based on whether the title read "dodge" versus "shelby" when selling the car to any knowledgeable buyer? i know it wouldn't make any difference to me as a buyer.
    I don't think it would add to the worth. Like I said, in my case, I just want it done for myself, personally. The only worth I could see coming out of a car being titled as a Shelby is one that has the original MCF or some kind of factory Whittier paperwork that came with their car upon purchase.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor amoparx's Avatar

At a show, was fun to say mine was a shelby theirs was a ford!!!
    LOL. We had 3 86 GLHS's and my 87 GLHS sitting next to each other at a car show a couple years ago. A 2007 Black Shelby Mustang pulls up next to my car. I told one of the guys next to me, "Look, 5 Black Shelby's and only 4 are real" I thought that was kinda funny. Then the guy gets out of his car and it just happened to be someone in our Shelby Dodge club. I had no idea he had that car. I hope he's not on this forum.
    Bob Doherty..... mnsdac.com
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Daytona Shelby TII T-Top
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII
    '89 Lebaron Convert TI auto

SDAC Member.expires 05/2016.MNSDAC Vice President

So I got my answer back from Harrisburg, PA (DMV headquarters here) and they sent me an application along with a list of specific inspection garages where I would have to fill this application in order to have the title recoded as a variety of different ways, such as salvage, reconstructed, flood, specially constructed, collectible, modified, kit car, etc. They informed me through a letter that of course the VIN# shows it as a Dodge Shadow and therefore cannot change it to a Shelby. However, with the description I gave them of the car being modified at the Shelby Whittier Plant, and everything on the car saying Shelby or CSX, that I would have to take it to one of the 100+ garages throughout the state to have them inspect it and deem it as a "Specially Constructed" vehicle. I, however, would not want this, as it seems this description fits more of a Kit Car type vehicle rather than a car produced by a national car manufacturer. I feel, if anything, I would try to have it deemed as a collectible, since they request yet another letter to go along with the paperwork application/inspection report detailing why the car would be a collectible.

I spoke to my Uncle about this since he is a Used Car Dealer and he said he would probably leave it alone because he isn't a big fan of seeing any additional codes on titles. I am tending to agree with him since I'm starting to feel that it may not be worth the hassle just to have the title changed, I mean who sees it anyways right? lol... I also read in the paperwork something relating to a new state-issued VIN# being prescribed to the vehicle, where, if I read it correctly, would mean that the title coming back may not even have a VIN that matches the car then? I don't know, a bit disappointed... but I'll still ponder it anyways since my car is still in the tearing apart/prepping stage anyhow, in other words, not even close to being taken to one of these garages to be inspected. Once it's done and I can do some more research on what the difference is between the Specially Constructed and Collectible designations, I'll go from there.

Mitsu booster

The best I could do here in Tennessee was to have it listed as make-Dodge and model-Shelby. I can deal with that.

Yeah that doesn't sound too bad. PA always seems to be picky about car-related business where as other states seem to be so cool about it. Ugh.

Talked with an "insurance lawyer" once. The VIN is the sole factor in determining "MANUFACTURER". They all have an official code #. As does country of origin. "Retrofit companies",or "coachbuilders" can produce a specific "MODEL". But they don't manufacture the car from raw materials. So when it gets to court, it will be a Dodge. Regardless of what the clerk typed on the title.
    Watch out for state issued VIN # as they are construed as custom built autos. Possibly not conforming to safety regulations. And consequently not very insurable, or costly to insure.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    Watch out for state issued VIN # as they are construed as custom built autos. Possibly not conforming to safety regulations. And consequently not very insurable, or costly to insure.
    Which is what I was thinking... so I doubt I'll be pursuing this at all. It's a numbered car as is, that's all that matters haha...

Yeah, I just was told that my car would have to be inspected by a local state inspector out of the local highway patrol office and all that jazz. Screw it, I dont have time for this, Im gonna just go get the title swapped out at is and just keep the original "Shelby" title for future arguments as to wether this is a REAL Shelby or not.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

It seems to me that the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin should be the defining fact. MSOs are the originating document by which any car enters the state's registration system. The MSOs were issued by Shelby.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

IF we had the MSO, many people dont.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Yeah, but with Shelby being with Ford now, doubt we'll ever get the MSO's if you don't have it with your car already
    Too bad nobody knew what these things were back in the day!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

The dumb thing is that the MSOs were supposedly delivered to the DMV by the dealer when the car was first sold.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Oh yeah? Well is there any possible way the state would still have such a thing on record despite now being 22 years later?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

So...
    My vehicle regristration now reads:
    "Manufacturer: Shelby"
    "Model: Charger GLHS"
    !!!!

I guess I should get my insurance papers changed now to match!

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast