Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone successfully re-title their #'d car as a "Shelby"?

Anyone successfully re-title their #'d car as a "Shelby"?

With me beginning work on my CSX, I'm wondering if anyone here has had success re-titling their Whittier car as a Shelby? I figure if you take pictures of all the decals, special Whittier stickers, the rad. support tag, the dash plaque, etc. showing that Dodge is no where on the vehicle appearance wise, if this was enough to get it changed? I'd like to know, so please share!

turbo addict

Re: Anyone successfully re-title their #'d car as a "Shelby"?

Tried it to no avail my glhs and csx both got retitled as dodges
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

turbo addict

my title says shelby

Hybrid booster

Many years ago I had an 87 CSX (4??). The title read Shelby.

I wonder if other Shelby owners have the same problem.

When the car was insured there was a much higher rate because it was a Shelby not a Dodge. When the car was totaled the adjuster tried to put a value on it of a Dodge Shadow. I told him I wanted the car replaced, produced the appraisal, and an ad for two remaining CSX's remaining in New York, things changed.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

I had trouble in Pa with trying to do that with the GLHS
    No problem on the Lancer because the title already said Shelby Lancer on it
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

Hybrid booster

I bought my 86 Shelby Charger without a title. I went through the process of getting a title for it. When the police officer came out to inspect the car, he wrote Dodge Shelby Charger on his report. I went with that on all the paperwork I did. Title says Make: Dodge Model: Shelby Charger. Not sure if that is normal or not but I get the feeling that it's really up to whoever is working at the DMV and what they type in the computer. They just seem to follow all the paperwork they look at.

Well I have a friend at the DMV who I am going to ask, but I figured PA would give a hard time about it. When I purchased the car I physically wrote Shelby CSX on it but it came back still as a Dodge Shadow. They did that as mentioned above for cheaper insurance purposes, but I don't get why some did come as Shelby and some did not? Anyways, its a goal of mine to get it titled as a Shelby even though it is just a name on a piece of paper.

turbo addict

I had my "Dodge" Shadow (really a 88 CSX-T) changed to Shelby on the title.
    Gave them copies of info from books, photos of the car and mfg. tags.
    They sent them in, it Worked!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor amoparx's Avatar

It all depends on the state. My GLHS #784 originally came from Nebraska. Then ended up in South Dakota. It had a Shelby Title. Then "Mark", the guy I bought it from, bought it off ebay and it came to MN. He worked the people for a few days and couldn't get them to keep it as a "Shelby" It bacame a "Dodge" A few months later, I bought the car from him and tried for a few days to get a Shelby Title. The woman that was working with me on it said Minnesota doesn't recognize "Shelby" as a car manufacture and they would have to title it as a Dodge. If one person in a state can do it, then everyone in "That" state should be able to. Not possible in MN. though.
    Bob Doherty..... mnsdac.com
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Daytona Shelby TII T-Top
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII
    '89 Lebaron Convert TI auto

SDAC Member.expires 05/2016.MNSDAC Vice President

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

I plan to take this fight up this spring. I'll take photos, copies of literature, etc... We'll see how it goes. This is in Alberta where "registry" offices are privately owned and operated. It's currently registered as a Dodge.
    Last edited by glhs0075; 03-09-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling error

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

What is needed is the MSO/MCO (Mfg Statement/Certificate of Origin), these are available from the state your car was orginally purchased in. Good luck getting one though; Texas, Washington, Oklahoma and Arizona only kept them for 10 years. Az had them available on microfiche up until about 7-8 years ago and now those are gone, or at least not readily available.

I have tried over the years to re-title numerous Shelbys, and have only been successful once and that was on a car I was able to get the MCO for. All states use the VIN for registration and insurance and as we all know our cars started life as plain old Dodges, and without a VIN change we will be stuck with this problem forever... Unless we are able to get our hands on the reported copies of the MCO's that Shelby still retains; this will not change.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

turbo addict

MSO/MCO
    Had a "copy" of this for my GLHS once, filed it away. Took it out years later and the image was gone. Was an old fax copy and the paper was some sort of film paper. Image just faded away after while.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Hybrid booster

My GLHS is in long term hibernation, but doesn't the safety label on the door post state the manufacturer as Shelby Automobiles? If it does, doesn't that settle it for legal issues. The manufacturer is Shelby and should be listed as such on the title.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Nope the VIN is the final factor used to determine title, registration and insurance. You can replace the sticker on the door or even the door itself and no one will question it...replace the dash and the VIN # and see who knocks on your door asking about the illegal VIN change

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Yeah, the VIN is going to be the sticking point. Like someone said above, making copies of literature that details these cars may be helpful as well besides actual pictures of the car - noting the decals, that b-pillar sticker, etc. I'll see what I find out from my friend sometime soon I hope.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I brought a bunch of literature and other info including a copy of someone's registration that showed it as a shelby. Local DMV, line got big quick and i was first. Sweet talked her a little and now my 87 CSX is titled as a Shelby not dodge. I'll post up a copy asap.

Thanks man, that'd be great. My friend said they'd think about some options and let me know in the next few days. Woo!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

if you have insurance through the auto club, they will do it just bring documentation that it is what you say it is.....a SHELBY. I was able to get mine changed from Dodge to Shelby without any drama

That's cool man... my friend has sent a message to a connection in Harrisburg and is going to let me know what the turnout is from that. I review the title history report I ran on my car from a few years ago and it was titled as a Dodge as far back as 1993 in Colorado. I was hoping that it would show up as a Shelby on one of those titles so I could simply walk in and say "Look, it was a Shelby, so it still should be." But that isn't the case. So I'll await word back from Harrisburg to see what can go on. I know it isn't really a necessity to have the car titled as a Shelby, I just think it'd be neat to have it recognized as such.

The DMV didn't give me a problem when I asked them to put SHELBY down as the "Make"...I couldn't get "GLHS" as the "Model" though

[FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast