Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 87 Plymouth Horizon

turbo addict

87 Plymouth Horizon

I've been getting parts together for this thing for about a year now. I have 2.5 cb out of my van with .020" Wiseco's. Block has been honed/cleaned. 782 head and 2 piece lower with one of Lengels flanges at the head porter now and actually being worked on (yay). OBX diff. MS2 for control. 160 lb/hr injectors, e85 for fuel. I have 4 puck unsprung and pp out of the van as well. A523 with the 3.50 FD. The header I posted in the fabrication section is for this as well. HY35 turbo and 38 mm tnetics evolution gate. I think I have enough money this year to finish the car and drive it so I thought I would start a build thread. I've got one car in front of this one in the shop and barring any disasters should be in there in the next 2-3 weeks. Car is to be my dd. I'll post on the progress as I go along. Pics of the car as it is now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horizon_ds.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	29374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horizon_front.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	29375  

turbo addict

Re: 87 Plymouth Horizon

Port work is done on head and intake. I got block cleaned and measured main bearing clearances all of them come in at .0017-.0018". I'm thinking that's a little tight? Went to set up rods to check clearances there and had on bad rod bolt I think I got some debris in the threads. Had to cut the nut off. I need to find out if I can get just two of the ARP wavelock rod bolts. Head flowed 172 on the intake and 127 on the exhaust at .450". I'll post some pics of the head and intake soon.

turbo addict

Mains are done. I set them to .0022-.0024. Got installed height on valves measured need to get a couple of shims. Using the Comp 942 spring. I don't have enough room to set the springs at 1.7 on the intake side so I think I'm going to set them all at 1.67. Cam is stock 88 TBI roller. Anyone see issues setting the springs up .030" tighter? Pic of ported intake with Lengel flange on it. As soon as I can get the engine assembled going to set it in the car and get started on the intake. I bought an SRT-4 aluminum flywheel yesterday so I think I'm going to try and run that with that style clutch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_piece with bell.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	31475  

Garrett booster

I could only speculate that 1.67 probably isn't a big deal with a stock cam and such, but I'm sure more people know a lot more on that topic.

On another note... cool car, my first TD (second car ever) was a 87 Horizon that I bought with no motor, my first project vehicle that I put a 2.2 log motor into... it got t-boned many years ago else I'd still have it to this day and who knows how fast that little thing would be considering what I've put into that cars replacement (now 12 second Lancer Shelby).

I love Horizons, peace!

turbo addict

Got the rod bolts for #1 yesterday and got them installed and sized. Crank was out .0015" I had that straightened while I was out there. Should be able to assemble the shortblock this week if time permits.

turbo addict

Rotating assembly is done. I set both rod and main clearances to .0022-.0024. I posted some pics of my windage tray/crank scraper setup I don't think I've ever seen pictures on this site so thought I would share, it's the Ishihara-Johnson one for 2.5. Have to get cylinder head assembled and then I can install in the car and start working on the upper intake manifold. I will never use the waveloc rod bolts again they are a GIANT pain to work with when setting clearances. Also posted a couple with the header, turbo, and intake on the stand.

turbo addict

Long block is assembled. Car is in the shop and I've removed the old engine and transmission. Should be able to get the new engine/transmission in there to start fab/mock up of everything.

turbo addict

Looks sweet! what are your goals with this car?

turbo addict

Thank you! It's a street car and built just for fun, if it will make 400 hp I'll be a happy camper. I do plan to take it to the track (for tuning mostly) but not going to break stuff just to get a number out of it.

turbo addict

Upper intake is about 75% done, I think it turned out pretty decent. I had problems with my welder and had to repair a trace on the board to finish up. Good news is the welder works much more consistent now. I need to weld a square end with a mandrel elbow on it to bring the throttle body about where a stock intake would be. Next is to tackle the intercooler and air intake. Watcha think?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

looks good....your gonna have a street terror on your hands!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

Plugging away. IC mounting location is set I'll level it when it gets finish mounted. I made a shroud out of .090" aluminum for the stock radiator and added a modern fan off of a newer car it's a 14" fan. Also have oil cooler that I think I'm going to mount between IC and radiator. Had to ditch the AC I had big ideas I was going to be able to keep it but I don't think that's goinig to happen. Should have everything to complete the upper intake today so hopefully will finish that Saturday. What have you guys done to support the hood latch area after cutting out the center support? It looks flimsy without some support. I could make the IC a structural part of that area but wondering how much stress that area is under. Any info to share would be great. Thanks.

fan shroud looks good! i use the intercooler/radiator as my core support.
    Carroll

turbo addict

Cool, that's what I'll do then. Thank you for the info.

turbo addict

Intake is complete minus a bung for vacuum. I may add a brace from tbody back to plenum to keep the elbow from cracking.

intake is definitly different Let us know how it works out. I worry about the air delivery to #4cyl with that 160° turn it has to make..hopefully its fine. Good luck!
    Carroll

turbo addict

I'm wondering how well it will function myself. I did some studying on air flow and intake manifold design and was surprised at some of the shapes that contributed to equal flow to all cylinders. If it doesn't work out I can cut it off and build another one. Thank you for the feedback!

turbo addict

Shifter cables are run and holes drilled in the floor. I used the stock dimple for the auto tranny cable for the shift cable and the selector went above and to the left of that one. I moved the shifter back about 5" and over towards the driver. Downpipe is going to be a bear to get in there and leave enough room around the shift cable.

turbo addict

IC is mounted and plumbed to intake and turbo. I welded a 45* on the compressor outlet, it clears the head no grinding needed.

turbo addict

I assembled the MS2 yesterday since it rained here. All that's left on that is to make the additional circuits for the extra's. Going with the LS2 truck coils in wasted spark, tach driver, launch/flatshift, shift light, 2nd fuel pump activation under boost.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast