Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does it take to put a BIG 16g turbo from my 92 Eclipse onto my 90 Spirit ES?

Mitsu booster

Question What does it take to put a BIG 16g turbo from my 92 Eclipse onto my 90 Spirit ES?

OK.. I have a 90 Spirit ES turbo 5spd..stock for now..but I have plans for a stage 5 FWD Performance computer..3 bar map, +40 injectors..Walbro 255 fuel pump..52mm tb, 3" turbo back exhaust, eBay bar and plate intercooler, Turbo XS RFL BOV...and more..I know my stock Mitsu turbo is not up to par and I have been getting suggestions as to what turbo to run with this setup..Well I just happen to think I have a super nice big 16G turbo that came as a extra with my 92 awd 5spd Eclipse laying around..turbo is in superb shape...now how do I mate it to my 2.5 TI engine? I know I need custom oil & water lines, but what about the exhaust mani..My Nephew said some one was making a cast manifold for our TD's that this turbo would bolt to..I think he said it was Turbos Unleashed..anyone know what he is talking about? I didnt see it on there site if there actually is such a thing...Can someone give me any info on doing this swap please? Thanks..

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

Re: What does it take to put a BIG 16g turbo from my 92 Eclipse onto my 90 Spirit ES?

correct, there's cast iron header: http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/cast...der-p-318.html
    but i'm not sure, that this turbo will just bolt on.

there's no sizes, but the turbine housing flange looks different than our's or the standard T3

you'd better call Chris @ TU and see what options you have.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: What does it take to put a BIG 16g turbo from my 92 Eclipse onto my 90 Spirit ES?

the dsm has a different style flange than the TU header.

you would need to make an adapter plate or build your own header.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

Could try a syclone turbine housing. It uses a t3 inlet, four bolt mitsu outlet and should fit your 16g as long as it's not a reverse rotation turbo.

Hybrid booster

i did a quick ebay search and came across this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4...ht_3746wt_1058
    1985 Dodge Shelby Charger *never ending project* 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z *SOLD* 1989 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5 Turbo Convertible *CRUSHED* 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T *SOLD* 2006 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L

turbo addict

I wouldnt even bother if i were you. First off you can make as much or more power with a turbo already able to bolt on to these tm engines. Plus mitsu turbo's seem to be a lot hotter than the turbo's on these things everyone uses. It will not bolt to anything offered for these engines. custom header/mani will have to be made or an adapter plate as stated but with all that wtf bother for no more than you would get otherwise. Reason i mention the temp of those is because idk how well the cast mani and hardware does against such heat. The 16g and such has a tendency to keep even the oem nuts/studs come lose on the mitsu dsm stuff. Crack mani's etc.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Also as for that piece in your link, i dont think thats going to even fit anywhere in there lol.

Hybrid booster

You need Clearance Clarence....

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

While it is true that the manifolds crack on the dsm; this also happens on n/a cars as well. Jeep 4.0L's and Neon SOHC"s are known for manifolds cracking...

you will have to make something to adapt it.

I believe that the hotside measurement is 7cm on the big 16g.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGLH View Post
    Could try a syclone turbine housing. It uses a t3 inlet, four bolt mitsu outlet and should fit your 16g as long as it's not a reverse rotation turbo.
    They shouldn't be unless he's got form from a EVO8/9. Those are also twin scroll. Since he said it came off a dsm; chances are it's "normal".

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

turbo addict

Yea thats because of poor quality mani's though. Plus my point is we dont really have a mani cracking problem using the turbo's we have, so why cause one by using a turbo that would surely up the odds lol?

BTW what do you guys use for upgrading the turbo that fit the 8v's stock mani patterns? Just wondering since the holset/t3 lotus use the same t3 pattern, and different than the pattern sed on the mitsu 8v turbo's found on the tm's like this guys' thats posting here. There has got to be a bolt on for him?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Hmmm.. I'm not sure about that. I think it's more in the design of the manifold vs. the turbo on it or if the car sees more hot/cold cycles. All turbos create a ton of heat... I've honestly never heard of problems with a 16g creating more heat than other turbos.

However, back on topic... you are right he would be better off using something that didn't need custom work since there are options out there.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Am I the only one who thinks the Mitsu turbos are baby-dick sized and not worth the effort at all?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Might wanna check with Hahn Racecraft. They sell Mitsu turbos that use standard T3 inlet flanges. Maybe they have a turbine housing and swingvalve that will make it work.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

i wasnt saying the 16g i said mitsu turbo's in general do. Thats a fact. Garrets even water cooled dont get as hot as the mitsu stuff.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbo-joe View Post
    OK.. I have a 90 Spirit ES turbo 5spd..stock for now..but I have plans for a stage 5 FWD Performance computer..3 bar map, +40 injectors..Walbro 255 fuel pump..52mm tb, 3" turbo back exhaust, eBay bar and plate intercooler, Turbo XS RFL BOV...and more..I know my stock Mitsu turbo is not up to par and I have been getting suggestions as to what turbo to run with this setup..Well I just happen to think I have a super nice big 16G turbo that came as a extra with my 92 awd 5spd Eclipse laying around..turbo is in superb shape...now how do I mate it to my 2.5 TI engine? I know I need custom oil & water lines, but what about the exhaust mani..My Nephew said some one was making a cast manifold for our TD's that this turbo would bolt to..I think he said it was Turbos Unleashed..anyone know what he is talking about? I didnt see it on there site if there actually is such a thing...Can someone give me any info on doing this swap please? Thanks..
    Sell it and buy the correct turbo. It will save you alot of hassle and time.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    Sell it and buy the correct turbo. It will save you alot of hassle and time.
    While thats easy to say, its not always the best option financially. If I was the OP, I would use it. Its a better then stock turbo and he already owns it. If it was me, I would build a log mani with the correct flange. But, Im a fabricator by trade and that would be alot easier for me then it would be for alot of people. Even though you would then have a mani that no "stock" Tm turbo would bolt to, you would be able to use any DSM turbo and I think that would be a good thing. Used upgrades I think would be alot cheaper, as there is ALOT more DSM/evo guys out there then TM guys. Id guess if you wanted to do this REALLY cheap, you could port a stock mani as close as possible to match the DSM flange, and then weld a DSM flange onto the stock mani.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    While thats easy to say, its not always the best option financially.
    Please post up the math you used to come up with this.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by turbodaytona87 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the Mitsu turbos are baby-dick sized and not worth the effort at all?
    i do i do....my 46 trim is bigger and flows way more than a 16 G... sell it off to a DSM'r and get the correct turbo for your application...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Putting a 16g on a stock manifold wont do JACK ---- to affect the manifold's durability, imo.

Saying one turbo runs hotter than another without being able to say why is useless, and in this case probably false. Running coolant through a center section has no significant affect on the heat that a turbo radiates or conducts outward to other components, and whether ANY manifold will crack has everything to do with the specifics of that application like the physical and metallurgical design of the manifold itself, the weight of the turbo, any bracing, etc, and there's basically no way to compare manifold cracking across platforms.

The big 16g is a perfectly good turbo and there's no reason why it wouldnt work great AFTER its mounted up. Mounting it, if you try to do it by paying someone else to sell you a bolt-on solution, will probably cost more than the difference between what youd get from selling the 16g and what you could buy a bolt-on turbo for.

I say call Hahn and see what they say about their housings. If it's cheap, it might be worth a shot, but keep in mind that they sell a stock t3 pattern, not whats on our stock manifolds, and if you cant drill and tap your own manifold for the new pattern you'll be paying someone else for that too.

Basically the cost of anything custom depends on your fab skills.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Basically the cost of anything custom depends on your fab skills.
    ...plus the cost of materials and more importantly the cost of your time

If someone likes to fab stuff up and is on a junkyard budget, why not go Holset or something bigger?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Well i guess he'd have to sell the 16g and buy a holset and THEN do most of the same fab work. and throw some extra lag in. hehe.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast