Thread: Forcedfedmopars VAN

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Forcedfedmopars VAN

5spd = mpg magic.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Go argue with shadow will you. Stop mucking up his build thread. I'm gonna hit you with the ban stick.....LOL.
    Oh go order some pizza,

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    lol, i was simply stating that they are not as bad as what they are made out to be (brittle, weak ect). I, and others have had good suscess with them. Would i use them in a performance application, no. But for what im using them for they were a great alternative to the 500+ forged slugs.

I used the van again this weekend to take the omni to a track about 200 miles away. Got around 19mpg on the way there around 80mph with minimal winds. and got close to 24mpg on the way back with less wind! van full of tools, parts, 3 people, ect and pulling the omni
    Awesome MPG, damn.

For a stockish commuter, I wouldn't hesitate to run hypers or cast, I ran for years on cast,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

well went to the dyno today, made 192hp and 238ftlbs to the front wheels at 10psi before 4300rpm. The van was cutting out at 4300 rpm (boost cut). I didnt realize it was boost cut before i unstrapped otherwise i would have turned boost down and tried at 8psi.

supercrackerbox informed me that some cals have boost cut at 11-12psi which is more than likely what was happening. looks like i will zener diod it tomorrow morning before the track.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Misunderstanding. I did not say boost cut, simply that it was the stock max boost level. Actual overboost cutout would be closer to 14.7, and there should be a code to go with it.

Ive seen cutout as low as 8 psi because of inaccurate map sensors and bad/floating ground on the map sensor. If you have a hand vac/pressure pump and a multimeter you can check both to make sure you dont have an actual issue before you start pushing the setup a little harder.

Very cool,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

well, i tried a different comp and map yesterday, did the exact same thing. I turned boost down to 9.5 and it did not do it anymore. So it is boost cut. I did not check voltages or data log it. But am confident that is the issue. My boost gauge and the dyno were reading within .5 of eachother. Im going to try the diode today so i dont hit cut as boost creeps on the top end of the track. I wont raise boost til i confirm for sure as i dont want to blow my daily up.

Well i would check for resistance and voltage between the map sensor ground and the battery. Any resistance or voltage on that wire is going to offset the signal voltage up so you can have a map sensor that would be sending back 4.2v on a good ground be sending back 4.7 on a bad ground and then hitting cutout.

If it's hitting cutout it should be giving you 14psi of fuel beforehand so if you can get it set to where it doesnt cutout it should still be giving you all the fuel, but it would be better to make it work right, in the long term.

turbo addict

well, added the diod but still cuts out on the track! ugh. oh well. I never really go over 3.5k on the street. But for shifting at 3800 and not launching it i managed a 10.52 at 66mph i hit cut out 3 times that run at the end of the track.

What cutoff voltage did you get on the diode? I just put some diodes in a friend's lancer and they were cutting off several tenths higher than the rated voltage. So, for example if you get a 4.7v diode and it really cuts off at 4.95 and you have a ground problem on top of it, it's actually doing jack ----. Had to go to a 4.3v diode AND fix the ground on that car.

turbo addict

im guessing i have a ground issue. I think the diods were 4.3v. Ive tried, different computer, map, bypass baro, diffent boost, fuel, and timing. nothing effects it. Still the same cut out. (makes me damn near bite the steering wheel) So im convinced that the problem is wiring. I will dig into it later. It doesnt effect daily driving one bit.

Faulty TPS? SDS?

turbo addict

do you think an SDS would do that? my speedo has bounced around lately while stopped at a light. I didnt think it would as it will do it in any gear or speed but at the same RPM

turbo addict

Well, tonight i swapped to my winter wheels (white pumpers with nokian WRs) and unplugged my speed sensor. After driving around for awhile i found a nice empty stretch of road and gave it hell. made 3 back to back second and third gear pulls with NO CUT OUT!

You win simon!!!!! So i guess ill look for another SDS and swap it in one of these days and head back to the dyno to find out the real numbers!

Which SDS do you have in there. The 2-wire ones always seemed prone to failure, especially after a few high speed passes.... If it is 2-wire, I would definitely recommend rewiring and going to a 3-wire hall-effect sensor.

turbo addict

Prone to failure? Mine has been over the top a few times in the last 24 years......

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    Which SDS do you have in there. The 2-wire ones always seemed prone to failure, especially after a few high speed passes.... If it is 2-wire, I would definitely recommend rewiring and going to a 3-wire hall-effect sensor.
    I have a 2 wire in it, actually its out of the omni so yes, it has a *few* high speed runs. lol

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Prone to failure? Mine has been over the top a few times in the last 24 years......
    You may be lucky... My past experience is that 2 or 3 100+mph runs (drag strip) and the SDS's days are numbered...

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    I have a 2 wire in it, actually its out of the omni so yes, it has a *few* high speed runs. lol
    I bet it does... The 3-wire ones are pretty cheap. RockAuto lists them for $15-30 with a wiring harness pig-tail. '93 is the first year I am seeing them listed for.

This is what it should look like:

turbo addict

SO, no news is good news I suppose. Ive been driving daily with no issues. I haven't gone on any long trips with it this summer like I normally do. I did however talk to shel game recently about doing a cal for me....because I picked up a 2.4 srt engine that may find its way into it this winter....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

You're kinda starting to hoard those engines . . .