Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 5 bolt crank gear, SQUARE TOOTH!!!!!

Re: 5 bolt crank gear, SQUARE TOOTH!!!!!

Well what a glorious day! I made a special trip to visit John and drop my stuff off so he could modify the A/C bracket and machine out the center of the pulley.....but I forgot the pulley!!!! AAAAGGGGHHH!!! He did however lend me the crank gear removal tool so that's good. I'll have an actual REAL update with some substance this weekend. And I think I'm going to do a small write up about this procedure as the overall process seems relatively easy as long as you have the parts.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

A writeup would be awesome.

Hybrid booster

Jon, bring your camera with you tomorrow. I'll bring an unmodified a/c bracket to shoot pictures for your writeup. Your a/c bracket is missing a too much aluminum to tell what was done.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    Jon, bring your camera with you tomorrow. I'll bring an unmodified a/c bracket to shoot pictures for your writeup. Your a/c bracket is missing a too much aluminum to tell what was done.
    Will do! Just hope I remember the pulley this time.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

any updates?

I've been working on mine, just need to finish the aluminum piece that presses into the gear and holds the belt pulley on.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    any updates?

I've been working on mine, just need to finish the aluminum piece that presses into the gear and holds the belt pulley on.
    Aluminum? For weight savings? HA. Saw your pics Jay. Looks good. BTW that's what those 5 bolts are for. Hehe. Just fabbing something up to locate the pulley? It looks like that outer ring on the masi pulley is just pressed on. Is that your take on it?
    Todd

turbo addict

hehe, the weight savings are just a side benefit. Yea the outer ring does look just pressed on. It also dictates how far the gear is pressed onto the crank snout. The gear only touches the crank on it's i.d. and that steel outer piece is the stop. So that's what I did, it's only pressed in .047" on both the stock and mine. My ring is made from aluminum because it's easier to machine than steel I should be finished with it monday so I'll post some pics and weights then.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    any updates?

Well for me it's pretty much dead in the water. For the L-bodies, the PS bracket fits, but the tensioner pulley ALMOST it's the frame and the pump for sure will hit it, or at least they pump pulley will. I'll post some pics later, but the clearance was just amazingly close for the tensioner. The sad thing is, I had that car torn down and putting everything back on before I realized it wouldn't fit. I needed to get the car back together for the next day, so I didn't pursue it anymore, but I don't see it happening on an L-body without some tricky moves for the PS bracket and pump.

On the bright side, I did get the crank seal replaced, that was good and I found out the stupid PS pressure hose was loose, so got that tightened. I also replaced the PS fluid, as it looked like brownie batter, it was so bad. If you get anything done on this or find a solution to the PS pump location, I'm all ears and would love to see a mock up out of the car. I just didn't have the capacity to do so before attempting.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Really sorry to hear that Jon. I know you've been wanting to do that for a while now. At least I can cite you as the guy who figured out it wouldn't work in it's original configuration.

turbo addict

sorry Jon, would love to see some pics so I can get more a visual of what you're describing.

I got mine finished today. I weighed it but forgot the # and it's written down at work. I'll post it tomorrow. It's close to half the weight.
    http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me...Two+Five+Masi/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234