Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 bolt crank gear, SQUARE TOOTH!!!!!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: 5 bolt crank gear, SQUARE TOOTH!!!!!

LOL yeah, about twice the mass!

Hey Todd, great pic/info! Check it out, I figured out how to turn posts into Tech Articles!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/co...r-SQUARE-TOOTH!!!!!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Attachment 29251Here is a pic of what you are looking for, and others to compare it to.
    Todd

Todd, I'm not following the snout measurements. Is that their diameters? Looks like I'm going back to the yard and seeing if I can grab the crank pulley off that 88 Turbo1 K car with the impossible to find 88 kcar smec harness. No I'm not pulling it in the snow for anyone.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

I know I have one in the garage if nobody else can come up with one easily
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

My curiosity is piqued. With the different length, won't that push the pulley out too far for everything to line up? Can you have it machined down to the length of the common block one, since you'll be using common block accessories?

Oh, and I do have one, but it's on the motor in my GLHS. Sorry, off limits.

Pretty sure the 4-bolt and 5-bolt crank accesory pulleys are different offset to take up the different timing sprocket lengths. I just looked for pics but couldnt find them.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Good luck, its a Dodge reman messed up cross over year part,

It's not square tooth!
    hey get those damn aluminum I sprockets going, and while your at it, have a 89 CB crank sprocket made up too in AL

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Todd, I'm not following the snout measurements. Is that their diameters? Looks like I'm going back to the yard and seeing if I can grab the crank pulley off that 88 Turbo1 K car with the impossible to find 88 kcar smec harness. No I'm not pulling it in the snow for anyone.
    Jay, yes that's just crank snout diameter. So in other words ID of sprocket.

turbo addict

As far as the weight thing, the diameter of the crank pulley is so small in relation to other things even if it's 3 times the weight of the 87 and older sprockets I doubt you'd notice or could measure it.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Pretty sure the 4-bolt and 5-bolt crank accesory pulleys are different offset to take up the different timing sprocket lengths. I just looked for pics but couldnt find them.
    Yes, I know. But since he'll be using a pulley meant for a slightly shorter sprocket, won't he have to match that length to keep all the accessories lined up properly?

JT, so the 5 bolt gear off the 88 will cause a timing issue vs. the 4 bolt? I don't think you're saying this, but just checking. The length I get, but I'll be using the accessories off a TIII, so the alignment width offset from the wider 5 bolt crank gear will be matched. If I were trying to use the 87 pieces (assuming the belt would even work with the pulleys), I could see the issue. But I will be running the TIII PS pump, TIII alternator and TIII water pump. So as long as I have all those pieces, I should be good right? I shouldn't have a timing issue, correct?

BTW, John Roberts is running this setup on his car right now with no issues, so I know it can be done.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Not a timing thing, just a position thing.

The belt pulley has a different offset to make up for the different length of the crank timing sprockets. I couldnt get to stock belt pulleys easily, but here is a pic of both types 4 and 5 bolt in Forward Motion underdrive pulleys for comparisson

You can also see the ID of each pullry is different to match the ddifferent sprocket snout diameters Todd mentioned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00261-20110227-1234.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	29258

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

someone didn't clearance the snow gaurd on the CB pulley before firing it up

LOL, hey, 15 years ago we all were did it once

And this tech article wasnt around yet

http://www.badassperformance.com/mtech/ud_pulley.html

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

As far as the weight thing, the diameter of the crank pulley is so small in relation to other things even if it's 3 times the weight of the 87 and older sprockets I doubt you'd notice or could measure it.
    I've often wondered why no one in the TD world ever produced an aluminum version of a crank gear. Pretty common in the 2.3 Ford world. The weight issue could be debated about forever. Steel vs. cast cranks, lightened or aluminum flywheels, iron cam pulleys, etc. each one no big deal but stacking them all together and it could become significant.
    Todd

turbo addict

JT: So the 4 bolts need more clearancing than the 5 bolts? I've only ever installed a 5 bolt and noticed it wasn't sitting flat as soon as I put it up to the crank.

Todd: I guess. But I think there's bigger/better things to worry about being that the weight is centered so close to the centerline of the crank. A flywheel, UDP, and the cam gears offer much larger gains. And with how cheap the TD guys are then it's probably gotta be less than $20 for anyone to buy it I'm a rotating weight savings fanatic too and I don't think I'd buy one for more than that.

JT: So the 4 bolts need more clearancing than the 5 bolts? I've only ever installed a 5 bolt and noticed it wasn't sitting flat as soon as I put it up to the crank.
    Nope the 4 and 5 bolt UD pulleys both need about the same clearancing as the inner v-belt groove is in the same location with respect to the end of the crankshaft

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Thanks for the pic JT!!! Hopefully this installation will go smoothly as soon as I find the gear. Still will have to pull the gear and mount everything up, but this should come out alright.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Attachment 29251Here is a pic of what you are looking for, and others to compare it to.
    Todd
    Almost forgot, thanks for posting the pics!! Great to see the differences side by side.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I've often wondered why no one in the TD world ever produced an aluminum version of a crank gear. Pretty common in the 2.3 Ford world. The weight issue could be debated about forever. Steel vs. cast cranks, lightened or aluminum flywheels, iron cam pulleys, etc. each one no big deal but stacking them all together and it could become significant.
    Todd
    I've got a friend with a Ford 2.3 and he was running an aluminum crank gear. It ended up wearing out even though it was anodized. My theory on this is that he no longer runs a dust guard and dirt got in between the belt and the gear and eroded it away.

This is my reasoning for NOT wanting an aluminum crank gear.

LOL, hey, 15 years ago we all were did it once

And this tech article wasnt around yet

http://www.badassperformance.com/mtech/ud_pulley.html
    Been there done that. Took me forever to figure out why I couldn't get the engine to crank over.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    JT, so the 5 bolt gear off the 88 will cause a timing issue vs. the 4 bolt? I don't think you're saying this, but just checking. The length I get, but I'll be using the accessories off a TIII, so the alignment width offset from the wider 5 bolt crank gear will be matched. If I were trying to use the 87 pieces (assuming the belt would even work with the pulleys), I could see the issue. But I will be running the TIII PS pump, TIII alternator and TIII water pump. So as long as I have all those pieces, I should be good right? I shouldn't have a timing issue, correct?

BTW, John Roberts is running this setup on his car right now with no issues, so I know it can be done.
    The '88 crank gear pulley attachment face is the same distance off the end of the block as a stock TIII. The TIII is the same distance as other common blocks. I had to open up the center register in the TIII crank pulley to fit over the larger register of the '88 gear.

I saw the gear you need today, but it was attached to the crank still in the car. All this was sitting in standing water from the rains so we couldn't pick it up. If you have the patience Andy and I will be picking this car up to part out sometime around June. LMK
    Last edited by glhs0426; 02-28-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast