Thread: Need help with 18" wheel fitment on a turbo Spirit..

Mitsu booster

Need help with 18" wheel fitment on a turbo Spirit..

I know...why 18"s you ask..well it just floats my boat and they are only $6 more per wheel then the 17"s. I have decited on the XXR 518 style wheels in white for my white spirit turbo 5 spd..My question is will they actually fit..I can get them in a 7" or 8.5 width...both 48mm offset..how do I find out if either of these fit before I order them? Thanks and no flaming please..

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Need help with 18" wheel fitment on a turbo Spirit..

I tried 18" on my Lancer, ended up liking 17" better. Mine were 18x7.5" Flik brand wheels, 35mm offset. They fit great, never had a problem with them. I was running a slightly smaller tire than stock diameter tire though; 225/35/18....if I had to do it again I would have bought 215/40 or 225/40.

I don't know about the 48mm offset though, I'd try to stay 40mm or less.

Mitsu booster

OK..40mm or less..yeah im back n forth on the whole 17" v/s 18" thing..I was going to run stock SRT-4 17" wheels but they are only 6" wide I hear and I dont want that on my car..have not made up my mind for sure I guess but I REALLY like the XXR 518 wheels..thanks

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

I hate using offset for a figure because it's more difficult to measure. It appears Tire Rack suggest about a 5.50" backspacing for most 16x7. If you're going with 18's they don't have any suggestions, but I do know 18's fit, they we're on my old Acclaim. I could take some measurements for you if you'd like. But basically the only true way to know is to take into consideration tire height, in inches, say 24". Go from center of hub 12" up and 12" down (this is suspension compressed to btw) and 12" side to side, take another tape and measure inside your backspacing, say 5.500" go inside that measurement on all 4 measurements. If that checks out ok go forward for the remaining wheel width (ex. 18x8.5 with a 5.50" backspacing nets 3.0" inches in front of the hub... roughly...) now go 3" in front of the hub on those 4 measurements and this will give you a ballpark idea if it's doable. Or just spend $60 and get the Percy's Wheel Rite. lol

turbo addict

7.5 wheel will fit anything 35 to 40 offset. 8" you need a 35 offset and even then you may rub on a Spirit. I wouldn't recomment anything wider on an AA body.

I ran 18x8 +35 and a 225/40 tire for a season on my driver Spirit. Best overall combo I've had on the car. I've had something different every summer on it. They did rub slightly on the back corner of the bumper wrap around but not bad at all.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Also if you want more results when shopping for wheels search for a 2003 golf or jetta.

Hybrid booster

i have 18s on my r/t i know bad pic i think my rim is 7in wide