Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Chromoly Lower Control Arms for Sale

Garrett booster

Re: Chromoly Lower Control Arms for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Gregg.......I have the same setup coming and its going on my Rampage so Im very interested in hearing how everything works out for you!
    I have my truck on a rotisserie at the present doing the wire wheel cleaning thing on the underside. After I finish that it will be on to primer and paint. The k-frame and LCA's will probably go on towards the end of May / beginning of June.

Gregg

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

As Gregg mentioned we've been talking for quite some time and he was instrumental in the jump start of a second batch. I just happened to have enough material and parts on hand to complete his as he was also the only person who expressed some urgency so he was a special case. But as he also mentioned they were sent raw and he accepted the responsibility to have things coated/finished.

As an update on the larger picture I have all the material and parts now. The tubes are cut and bent with the next step being notching. As I have mentioned before I ended up with 4 times as many orders as I expected which also meant I wasn't equipped to handle the volume efficiently which I've been taking means to rectify. One of those areas has been notching. I calculated that I will need to do 324 tube notches which I'm just not going to do with a hand drill. The notcher I built was made for a vice and 1/2" drill so last night I finished modifying and building new pieces so it can be used in a drill press. Notching will commence soon followed by the machined pieces and then welding.

I know people are excited and all I can do is curse Brian for his quick turn around times. I'm giving as much time as I can to get these out for you as soon as I can. That isn't to say I've been getting any pressure from you guys or do I mind the occasional check ins. I appreciate all your patience and look forward to delivering the best product I can.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

"I appreciate all your patience and look forward to delivering the best product I can. "

Now thats what we all wanna hear.
    Do these come powder coated? I that they were all raw?

They will be salt bath nitrided. Powder coating can chip and adds thickness which means it can't be used in quite a few areas. The nitride gets it all with a
    small bit of case hardening as an added benefit.
    Last edited by turboshad; 04-23-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

If you were as fast as my Omni you would have them done 1 year ago!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Are you suggesting your Omni takes a year to finish the 1/4 mile?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    LOL, I think I'll just make another website where we can all talk about owning them. We'll call it bench owning.

Hybrid booster

Any update on these?

I'm still in the process of notching and machining. I had a project that was started before I took on these orders which needed to be finished and had a higher priority. Once again expecting to have 5 or 6 orders I thought they could easily be done side by side but that wasn't the case. That project took a bit longer then I expected with a few hiccups but I completed it last week so now my top priority is the control arms. I expect to be welding things together shortly after I return from SDAC. Sorry for the delays and once again I appreciate everyone's patience.

You flying in this year or do you have a car you're driving?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Neither. I kind of told people I would make some control arms so this vetoed any working on my own car until they are done. My parents are heading to Toronto to pick up some things they inherited so I'll be helping them drive as far as Chicago and then hitching a ride with Benji the rest of the way. I'll meet up with them again in Chicago on the way home and help them drive back. With what I want to do I may be lucky if it my car even makes SDAC 24.

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully you'll have the car ready by next year. Are you making a Shadow from scratch or something? That may prove difficult to be ready for 24. See you in a couple weeks!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Thanks for the update

Hybrid booster

Any update on these?

Still notching and machining. Our machine shop was put on 12hr shifts 6 days a week so I haven't been able to get in to machine anything for the last month. The long shifts end this week with the delivery of a large project so the machines will be freed up again and I can make more progress with the machined parts. I expect to be done the notching next week. Progress is being made, I'm sure not as quickly as anyone would really like but these are at the top of my priority list right now. Once again thank you for everyone's patience.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Still notching and machining. Our machine shop was put on 12hr shifts 6 days a week so I haven't been able to get in to machine anything for the last month. The long shifts end this week with the delivery of a large project so the machines will be freed up again and I can make more progress with the machined parts. I expect to be done the notching next week. Progress is being made, I'm sure not as quickly as anyone would really like but these are at the top of my priority list right now. Once again thank you for everyone's patience.
    PHEW! I thought you were going to pull the old "cutest baby in the world is taking up your time" excuse.

turbo addict

Thanks for the update! Not like my car is going anywhere anytime soon, but hey...still good to know!

Hybrid booster

Any updates on these?

I have one night left and all the notching will be done. All 216 cuts. Then 2 more nights of machining to finish the 72 parts I need to start welding the first half. There are a total of 324 parts including spacers that I need to machine for all 18 sets with 36 extra finish passes for the bearing bores once welded. Some parts are quick, others take a bit of time. I will start welding the first half while I finish the machining for the second half. I will be talking with my nitriding company today to discuss if there would be any extra cost in doing it in half batches which would mean I could get the first half out a bit sooner. My current plan would be to let those go to the first 8 people that put deposits down and yourself (Wastelands) as so far you are the only one that has expressed some urgency. While those are being done I should be able to finish up the machining for the second half and then begin the welding on those. I will be sending out emails shortly with a couple questions so I know what to make for kingpins and spacers. As always, thanks for your patience.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

well i can wait for mine so someone thats being held up by not having these control arms can get their car together. I'm still getting mine together and i have the cast amrs with poly bushings so I can wait for now..
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast