Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid Engine Charger...

Hybrid booster

Re: Mid Engine Charger...

Alright ... here is what I have Reaper1... (everything held in place with hot glue )

The wire on the back near the taillight frames what will be the end of the flare and the size of the vent opening...

Here is the mess I have now on the inside.

The idea is to end at the existing quarter panel and work a vent up from there around the strut tower...

Then once that is done then... I dunno.. What do you think will work best for the wheelhouse? Got any suggestions on how to let them breath without making rust traps???

turbo addict

Seeing as I'm a total sucker for composite stuff, I'd make the wheelhouse liners out of fiberglass and then use a combination of screws and body seam sealer to hold them in. This may sound kind of "hoky", but they'd be light, removable, repairable, wouldn't corrode, and fairly easy to make. You could make the "mold" out of chicken wire and use that as a backing support as well.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Seeing as I'm a total sucker for composite stuff, I'd make the wheelhouse liners out of fiberglass and then use a combination of screws and body seam sealer to hold them in. This may sound kind of "hoky", but they'd be light, removable, repairable, wouldn't corrode, and fairly easy to make. You could make the "mold" out of chicken wire and use that as a backing support as well.
    http://www.jerrybickel.com/carbon-ca...jbrc2115c.html
    10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

turbo addict

Yeah, this would be a good starting point!

Hybrid booster

Made a tiny bit of progress... But I think it is coming along nicely....

I have really been thinking about the wheelhouses... and if I can tie the quarter and the daytona wheelhouse sections together... Heck... I have been in and out of the plastics industry for years... and a guy down the street vacuum molds thermo setting plastics all the time...

I won't "cheat" on the outside... but maybe... hummm......

turbo addict

WOW!! I am digging how that is coming together! Makes me want to break out the cutting wheel and welder! LOL

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

Yeah, that's looks really good! I love how the Shelby sticker sits right inside the side scoop.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Garrett booster

Now that is sweet

Yeah looks really good man, nice job...will be neat to see this thing pull the front wheels!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Yeah looks really good man, nice job...will be neat to see this thing pull the front wheels!
    "Turbo Under Glass" ???

Since I already have the rusty L body floor pans to deal with up front... I will be able to see where I am going...

Run a 10 on the back wheels...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Mkay, I've just kinda been lurking and following along but the last set of pics prompted me to post some questions.

Did you make a final decision on the powerplant? (hmm, 450HP 16V four vs 500 HP big block)

Is this a drag only go-as-fast-as-you-can rig or blvd cruiser that can also kick arse?

Are you working on this thing full time? You said you made a little progress on the last set of pics but it looks like 25 hrs of bodywork to me

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

A Blvd cruiser with LOTS of bite.. and plenty capable of handling its own on the autoX or road course... wherever I end up.... Just something I always wanted to build and never got around to building.. I wanted a nice charger and kept running into rust.. So If figured.. what the heck.. If I have to cut half the damn car apart anyway to fix rust or other issues..... Why not put it back together the right way..

The Masi motor was just a big stroke of luck, and the tipping point for going ahead with the project... The original idea for power was going to be a 2.5/2.4 hybrid.. Sure.. I could cut up the body and drop it on a tube frame with a big ole V8.. boring... (ok not really but you get my point) It just has been done to many times... Somewhere in the thread I linked to an integra a guy converted to a mid rear setup... I love that car.. He just needs more power... and after this fall and I have a bit more budget to work with... finishing it off so it looks like a real car instead of just a race car is totally in the plans...

All these guys on here trying to build "streetable" 10 second cars... I plan to do that... as well as be able to hit the autoX and go for a country drive...

But for now...... I am still totally on track to have it up and running well for less than a 2011 dollar budget...

Typically get from 9pm after the kids are to bed till about 11 each night to goof off... sometimes I can squeeze an hour in the middle of day... and the weekends are up for grabs... Sometime they are mine.. sometimes not.

Not counting hours upon hours of research time.. I am probably 40 hours into actual working time on the project... Although... If I should ever need to do this again.. It could go MUCH faster.... But I am in no real hurry... and won't rush things... I have so much fun out there.... My little flaring job on the side makes me smile every time I see it..

Just got a little done tonight.. Cut all the rusty thrash out of that side.. Made all the templates for the wheelhouse... and have that side scoop looking frign awesome... I promise pics when it is done... Right now the quarter is laying on the floor getting the final tweaks... (that "hot glue" trick my dad talked me into works awesome... using the hot glue designed for paint-less dent removal to temporarily hold panels in place....) and I couldn't deal with it... the dang gas filler hole plug heat shrunk a bit to much.. So I cut it out and welded a new section in.... Working with all steel takes some time... But bondo ain't in this budget...

Hybrid booster

To many distractions tonight... but here are some better quality pictures of the progress anyway..

Love it! The side scoop looks really good. I'm not sure that i'm sold on the rear vent, I need to see it with paint. Any idea how many extra inches the flares give you for tire clearance?

Check out my Homepage

turbo addict

Looks good. Ive been toying with the idea of doing this to my rampage, but with a boosted 3.0

boostaholic

Not a TM but a cool site on a Mid engine conversion on a Integra I had saved on my Favorites. It has alot of pics and info. I thought it was pretty cool.
    http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19...onversion.html

Hybrid booster

Oh yeah... That integra is a really really neat garage build.. I wasted enough time over the last couple months to read that whole thread

Here is a link to just the pictures...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...SA/GSRProject/

And just for kicks.. just a couple more of my favorites for whatever reason...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2970226

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1266033

http://www.kimini.com/index.html

This... is a really cool site... http://zcars.org.uk/index.php

Hybrid booster

I always feel like I didn't get a lot done.. and it was frign hot today in KC.. it 91 degrees.. i wish I had gone sailing.. 30+ mph winds all day today.. I didn't go because the lake surface temp just hit 50 degrees.. and I didn't count on the air temp getting that high... Oh well... I had a little fun anyway... Like I said.. didn't get a lot done... and sure didn't feel like bodywork... So I hammered one of these out...

First.. Start with some old metal shelving.. and a cardboard template..

Then... a little cutting.. and tack some steel rod into place...

Then apply hammer and a flattened out cold chisel... and beat the snot out of the thing....

Finally... a little cursing.. some trimming... remove the tacks holding the steel rod.. some clamping... a few temporary sheet metal screws..... a few more whacks with a hammer......

and end up here...

With a coat of truck bed liner, or similar type of undercoating, I tink dat will do just fine donkey...
    Last edited by vipernbox; 04-03-2011 at 10:02 PM.

turbo addict

Love this project man cant wait to see it done! Keep up the great progress
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Quote Originally Posted by vipernbox View Post

With a coat of truck bed liner, or similar type of undercoating, I tink dat will do just fine donkey...
    Help me out here, what am I looking at that took so much time to fabricate?

Check out my Homepage

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast