Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid Engine Charger...

Hybrid booster

Re: Mid Engine Charger...

All tacked in place

but still having the ride height debate.. So....

Right now the top of a 205/60 15 (about the same height as the wider tire I will be running) will sit about a half inch short of flush with the wheel opening (which is getting changed, widebody? ) Sitting at half the strut travel where all the daytona's I have here at the house sit..

hellaflush yo dawgz..

The question is whether to sacrifice a little suspension droop by raising the engine subframe into the body allowing me just a tad higher real roll center.... and a very wee bit of extra (albeit minimal) camber gain.. I should be a bit lighter than the front of a daytona meaning this should be where the stock spring settles.. and "normal" height may require a snip

(coilovers are for later)

So anyway... If I still like what I did last night when I go out there tonight and quadruple check everything.. It should be a rolling chassis late tonight.

Hybrid booster

Alright... So untacking it again... everything was set right where I thought I wanted it.. but instead I am going to go up just a fraction more giving up some suspension droop in favor of a slightly higher roll center... This should balance nicely with a only slightly overlowered front setup....

And ... Still debating how much anti squat to try and dial in by rotating the subframe vs moving only the K frame mounting points.. There was more "anti-dive type geometry built into the front suspension than I first thought...

So... Still measuring... I have to get this part right... and there are so many things to take into consideration... and it isn't something I do everyday... So i just decided I am in no hurry on this part... Probably splitting hairs for nothing at this point... but... yeah..

Plenty of time tomorrow to tinker with it though.. No worries...

Hybrid booster

Alright still stuck on the geometry problem..

and have a couple questions.. Asking them here.. (Or maybe just talking aloud hoping it clicks... )

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ge2&highlight=

I did make it to the yard today and pick up the Van hubs.. SO we have 11 inch brakes and a little better roll center all around if nothing else.. oh.. and 5 on 4.5" (Thanks again Larry)
    Last edited by vipernbox; 03-16-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Hybrid booster

Alright.. The limited progress on the suspension geometry.. Explanations in the linked thread above... and a couple more pictures of some other progress...

The Old Charger rear frame getting recycled...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	304.5 KB 
ID:	29734  

Very nice...progress is good!

Hybrid booster

Help me answer one of the big questions right now Box Flares... WIDEBODY!!!!! Or simply cut the fender flares from a four door omni and do a little stretching.. (something along these lines http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?2,19586 )

I am going to have to deal with the wheelhouse soon enough.... might as well get to cutting huh?
    Last edited by vipernbox; 03-20-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Garrett booster

I have been reading of your progress with the mid engine Charger Very Nice.

Now back in the Day when the Charger was new, I had some lengthy conversation about doing a Mid Engine GLH but. It was deemed out of our reach, Cost wise$$$. I know you have a lot on your mined at this time but have some Question.
    1. What are you planning on running for a Parking brake?
    2. What are you planning on for a exhaust System?
    3. What Trans are you planning on using 5 speed Or Auto?
    4. What type of Linkage mechanical rod or mechanical cable or Hydraulic?
    Keep the INFO coming. Your project has started me thinking about A Mid Engine GLH.
    Just my bad luck. I only have a Running 85 GLHT Project and a Daytona 89 C/S AGS running Parts Car, Just sitting around taking up space.

David H.
    Lost in Akron Oh.

Hybrid booster

The parking brake will be either a line lock.. or something along those lines....

Check out what this guy did for that.. (he has a table of contents in his first post.. but this should take to to the P brake stuff... )

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19...4.html#1385909

I probably won't get that advanced with my setup... but who knows.. Still thinking on that one...

For the Exhaust... What exhaust??? It is going to be right there at the back of the car... Building a one off header and as short of a system as possible...

I am planning on running a 5 speed... But an auto would be stupid simple... Just be stuck with a reverse pattern and the deal is done... I have yet to decide if I am using a 555 or a 568 and that will make a difference for how the linkage is done.. But I plan on running stock cables back to the trans area... Reversing on direction is as simple as flipping the selector arm over and fabing up a way to mount the cable... the other plane may require a bell crank set up of some kind...... I dunno.. I have lots of ideas on that one also.. But that should be simple enough... For the Clutch... I have been studying Larry B's setup pretty close... and I have not made the decision about a cable or hydraulic yet... Thinking hydraulic at this point.. but if a cable goes in easy enough I may try that for a while...

Cost wise... because of some dumb luck and some great deals..... I am actually ahead at this point It depends on what I end up bolting to it to make it go... but yeah.. except for the time.. I have given the wife little to complain about... and she doesn't get to worked up about that because I have a great helper...

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Oh... and about flaring the quarter to cover the extra wide tires and slightly (2 inches) wider track of the Daytona suspension setup...

I think I am going to do both... meaning I am going use the omni fender lip on a box flare built from an omni front fender... Still up in the air at this point.. but I really think I cam make that work... Then so the front then will have a slightly less aggressive flare.... and.... I think the Daytona quarters can be shaped to work out perfect...

Does anyone think the 89 ES/Shelby daytona bumper would look weird back there??

turbo addict

hehe looks a lot like my helper. Helped me strip a shortblock down the last couple weeks.

Hybrid booster

Had a moment... So worked on the boxes for the boxes for the rear frame rails...

Hybrid booster

Alright... It is a rolling Chassis didn't finish the rear frame rails... But they ain't going anywhere... and I just didn't want to mess with them... Will say though.. If you must have a non running rolling chassis in your shop... This is the one to have.. Easiest darn thing to parallel park in the world..

Ok... and this is a shot of the hellaflush stance yo!!! The front is on springs still and clearly riding just a wee bit high.. but this is very close to all of the suspension sitting at the height it would have sat in a daytona, using some really really stiff springs made from some scrap metal.... No extra lowering required.. Sitting on 205/60's... and these wheels will require a spacer to change the offset to clear the brake.. about 3/4 of an inch...

So then to make room for more tire I am going to need a couple of these...

Now... I have a choice... first just use the fender lip and end up with roughly this...

Or do I go all out.. full on box flare and do something more like this... The top of what is left of the fender will get trimmed back as no not "overflare"... and the lines will follow the body lines... The back can be left open... or blended smoothly using part of the existing quarter.. What used to be the headlight bucket could make the start of a side scoop for intercooler or just "underhood" cooling...

Opinions on this one are very welcome...

And if anyone is wondering about roll center... and that kind of stuff... Here is the LCA .. again riding very close to "stock" ride height for the suspension.... with the only changes being the late knuckle from a cast control arm Minivan... and the change in height of the mounting point for the front of the K frame...

turbo addict

Subcribed!!!!
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

I like the idea of the side scoop. Not only because it looks kinda cool but because you are probably going to need the airflow back there anyways. If it were me, I would just use the fender lip for the flares and then think up some sort of additional side scoop instead of using the headlight bucket opening. I don't like the boxed flare look.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Wow. Really looks cool!

On the flares, I to think about it a bit more. I thought I'd like the box flares, but now I'm not so sure.

Hybrid booster

I know... I am so back and forth on this one... If I didn't need the wheelhouse for basic body structure I could play with it a bit... (like my avatar ) until I came up with something I really liked and then make it permanent... Maybe I will just trim up the quarter and build the wheel houses that way and keep thinking about this... making it simply decoration instead of a solid part of the quarter... If I go full on box flare building it that way would add a tiny bit of weight... and I like the idea of really trying to make it look like a factory build instead of a tube frame hot rod... But.. hummmm....

Trimmed up I think the box will look far more refined than it does in those pictures.... But... Still I am kinda stuck... If it were 10 or 15 yrs ago I would take the subtle approach for sure, no questions asked..... but with a car this obscure now.. what is the point? Might as well have some fun with it...

I still may end up just shaping what is there... Adding maybe a little "coke bottle" to this charger and seeing what happens... after all... This thing really is a Charger/Daytona now...

Quote Originally Posted by vipernbox View Post
    Adding maybe a little "coke bottle" to this charger and seeing what happens... after all... This thing really is a Charger/Daytona now...

When you put it that way, it kinda sounds intriguing....

Check out my Homepage

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    When you put it that way, it kinda sounds intriguing....

You don't know me very well... That could be purposely awfully awful as easy as it could be intriguing..

(don't think about the wheels I have on there to much.. it might come to you)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dukes-Hazzard-GE...-/170616160681

Quote Originally Posted by vipernbox View Post
    You don't know me very well... That could be purposely awfully awful as easy as it could be intriguing..

(don't think about the wheels I have on there to much.. it might come to you)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dukes-Hazzard-GE...-/170616160681
    Ha ha, either way I am going to be pretty interested to see how this turns out. Keep the pictures coming!

Check out my Homepage

turbo addict

How come I never caught in the suspension thread that you were going after a RWD set-up!? LOL This is friggin COOL!

On the flares...I think I like the more subtle approach. It looks better, looks like it will be easier to make look good, and probably will be lighter.

Hybrid booster

What about this...

Stock...

Not Stock

Hey... Lets try out a daytona bumper... Why not right? I always disliked the charger bumper anyway...

Then... Looking at something like this shape for the side scoops...

I think I was just way to thirsty late last night or something.. I think I got it tonight...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast