Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mid Engine Charger...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Mid Engine Charger...

Good to hear its still an "active" project!

I for one understand that you have to make hay while you can and enjoy the other loves of one's life!

Looking forward to the new ideas!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

Great to here all Is well I know how hard it is to find the Time needed to work on a project of this magnitude. I wish you were closer as I would like to help out.
    You must have survived the wind and waves, glad that you made it back safe and sound.
    Sounds like a great adventure. Did you catch any fish ?
    Can’t wait to here you cool ideas for the Mid Engine Charger. How much Room is there between the rear of the car and the Daytona section after you installed it? I am looking at my GLH and PIC of you Charger and thinking that it well be tight but doable.

David H.
    Lost in Akron Ohio

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

So what's going on with this project?

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Hybrid booster

Life.. Give me one more month then there will be some real progress.. Very busy around here.. I have a Christmas lighting business in full swing right now.. and spent the summer racing Hobie 16's... then this week wife had a stroke.. kids sick.. me sick....

Don't worry.. It hasn't been forgotten

Garrett booster

subscribed. after u get the mid engine working maybeput the one back in front with it that should be easy to do... love it

ok i dont get it y do this to your car? I like what u did with the quarter

Hybrid booster

Ok... Time to get some updates and real progress on this.. But first.. I am to lazy to look this one up..

Right now the Masi engine and a 568 are swinging in the back of the car.. IIRC I have the 'proper' 568 tranny side mounted still bolted to that side... and the masi stuff still bolted to the engine mount side... Now something needs to change because the engine side is pushed way to far to the passenger side. It would bolt down but leave no room for adjustment...

Remember all of this is bolted in a 88 daytona engine bay.

I thought I remember something needed done to something to make a 568/523 live where a 555 used to be.. but I can't remember..

Yeah.. I know.. dumb thing to get stuck on, or even ask about given the scale of the project. but asking bumps this project up in my minds own forum and will get the ball rolling again..

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

did you accidentally use a L body mount somewhere?

accidentally use a 90+ mount somewhere?

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

The bobble strut on the back of the 568/523 is offset further to the passenger side IIRC. It's pretty far, about an inch, inch and a half? Someone else is probably better qualified on the measurement, but it is definitely further over - not sure if Masi used the same rear strut.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by vipernbox View Post
    Ok... Time to get some updates and real progress on this.. But first.. I am to lazy to look this one up..

Right now the Masi engine and a 568 are swinging in the back of the car.. IIRC I have the 'proper' 568 tranny side mounted still bolted to that side... and the masi stuff still bolted to the engine mount side... Now something needs to change because the engine side is pushed way to far to the passenger side. It would bolt down but leave no room for adjustment...

Remember all of this is bolted in a 88 daytona engine bay.

I thought I remember something needed done to something to make a 568/523 live where a 555 used to be.. but I can't remember..

Yeah.. I know.. dumb thing to get stuck on, or even ask about given the scale of the project. but asking bumps this project up in my minds own forum and will get the ball rolling again..

Only thing to make a 523/568 go where a 555 used to be is to use the 555 tranny mount and grind a bit on the bracket to clear the case like this. http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me...1604a.jpg.html

Hybrid booster

That must be what I have done.. I don't think I used a 555/520 mount.. I think I used the 568 mount... duh... I knew it was something like that... I thought I remembered doing that grinding.. but whatever...

Great.. Now I have to get to work.. The only excuse I have left is the wife's sebring which had a diff pin knock a hole in the case... Gota get that heap off the lift then the fun can really start..

Tubing bender and notcher are all bolted to the floor ready to go...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    All I know is that i'm going to be very disappointed if this turns into another one of those projects that never gets finished. Keep up the good work!!

haha!

This project is too cool to fail! Just gotta find some of that bailout money!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

It isn't money causing the problem for sure.. Some good old fashioned hard work paid off, and I have more work than I can handle. Which isn't leaving time to spend money.. and I ain't complaining.

And still can't find quality help. and won't tolerate anything less..

But the Charger is on the lift. Even did some more welding.. I have the shifter figured out.. Cables and stuff pretty well sorted.. Just gota get to it.

And even have been having lots of fun powder coating here in my shop. So.. (i'll have to post pix later)

Subscribed!!

Hybrid booster

Hybrid booster

Oh.. and March is "Charger Month" here at the Holm House.. I have been working tooooo hard.. Time for a break...

Picking up a real welder the end of this week.. Then game on...

But I have kinda of design question...

Do I shoot for more of a late/mid seventies kinda look... think Mustang II Cobra, Hot Rod Chevy Monza meets Pantera...

Or all out MTV 80's awfulness? Digital dash kinda stuff...

Just thinking outloud about the subtle details... as I am still leaning towards almost a standard Shelby Charger paint scheme.. except in black and gold...

Hybrid booster

I like the idea of keeping it shelby-ish! And wow, what a build!

I also like the idea of making it a Shelby "fantasy" piece, something Shelby might have built, but scrapped due to practicalities, and as such keeping it looking "Shelby" would fit best, if that makes sense... Of course, what really matters is what YOU want it to be, it's your effort making this thing a reality, it should please you, and if the rest of the world enjoys it too, well than that's a nice bonus!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

turbo addict

I like the idea of running a digi dash and atc and all those goodies along with digital readout boost, wideband, etc. I'd like silver/blue or maybe a reverse shelby scheme or solid sante fe blue or maybe the electric blue from the ram ss/t trucks. Feel free to do it the way you want, I plan on seeing it at SDAC!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast