Thread: Purchasing a brand new turbo that is 5 years old?

Hybrid booster

Purchasing a brand new turbo that is 5 years old?

I have the chance to purchase a 50 trim with wastegate, and bracket that is brand new but was purchased back in mid 06 for $600 shipped. Should I be concerned that it was that long ago? The turbo was never ran but the warrantee is no longer any good obviously since it’s 5 years old.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Purchasing a brand new turbo that is 5 years old?

Time isn't an issue really, as long as it hasn't been underwater, lol. Just prelube it, check for play and install it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Time isn't an issue really, as long as it hasn't been underwater, lol. Just prelube it, check for play and install it.
    Awesome, kind of a sad question but how would I prelube the turbo? I've never installed a brand new turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdrizzle View Post
    Awesome, kind of a sad question but how would I prelube the turbo? I've never installed a brand new turbo.
    Squirt oil in the oil feed hole and spin the turbo by hand, oil should start to come out the drain, then you can install it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

AND DONT FORGET TO PRIME YOUR ENGINE TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SUFFICENT OIL PRESSURE TO YOUR TURBO BEFORE YOU START IT. pull the hep wires and crank til u have oil pressure reading on the gauge, could take multiple times cranking engine for 10 sec at a time... and let your starter cool for a couple seconds between cranking sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    AND DONT FORGET TO PRIME YOUR ENGINE TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SUFFICENT OIL PRESSURE TO YOUR TURBO BEFORE YOU START IT. pull the hep wires and crank til u have oil pressure reading on the gauge, could take multiple times cranking engine for 10 sec at a time... and let your starter cool for a couple seconds between cranking sessions.
    Take the plugs out, then its like cake,

Hybrid booster

Don't you want to pull the injector harness plug to prevent fuel from going in or will pulling the HEP plug prevent that?

turbo addict

disconnecting the hep will stop the spark and the fuel good idea on pulling the plugs, i always forget that one unless im working on the vehicle...

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the info everyone, I'm going to pick this up for $600.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    This is a fatal mistake that many mechanics make.

Priming should also include verification that the TURBO is getting oil, not just the gauge is seeing pressure. This procedure is echoed in Garrett and other turbo manufacturers installation instructions.

Leave your oil drainback hose disconnected and place a catch can underneath it to collect the drainback oil. At engine cranking speed ONLY (NOT engine idle speed) you should have a steady stream of oil coming out of the bottom of the turbo. Anything less and you have oiling issues which should be addressed prior to starting the engine.

GODD LUCK!!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by DevoBuzz View Post
    Don't you want to pull the injector harness plug to prevent fuel from going in or will pulling the HEP plug prevent that?

The HEP is easier and quicker, plus you kill the fuel pump, injectors and ignition in one fell swoop.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    This is a fatal mistake that many mechanics make.

Priming should also include verification that the TURBO is getting oil, not just the gauge is seeing pressure. This procedure is echoed in Garrett and other turbo manufacturers installation instructions.

Leave your oil drainback hose disconnected and place a catch can underneath it to collect the drainback oil. At engine cranking speed ONLY (NOT engine idle speed) you should have a steady stream of oil coming out of the bottom of the turbo. Anything less and you have oiling issues which should be addressed prior to starting the engine.

GODD LUCK!!

Chris-TU
    Thanks for the tip Chris I'll be sure to do that.

The HEP is easier and quicker, plus you kill the fuel pump, injectors and ignition in one fell swoop.

Good to know you can kill it all with one action.

Now, will my TU 3" swingvalve still line up with the downpipe on the hybrid or will I have to mod anything to get it to line up correctly?
    Last edited by tehdrizzle; 02-24-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Now, will my TU 3" swingvalve still line up with the downpipe on the hybrid or will I have to mod anything to get it to line up correctly?
    Our 3" SV was designed to be a bolt on replacement for the 2.25 and 2.5" version. As long as you have a 3" Downpipe you should be set.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

well that would depend what exhaust housing you have, and which TU swingvalve version you have....if u have the new style your good 2 go, as it will work on the TD and standard T3 5 bolt discharge flange..

if u have an older TU SV, and a T3 exhaust housing....your kinda screwed
    in that case id ditch the TU swingvalve and get something that will flower nicer