Thread: srt-4 head onto 2.2 or 2.5

srt-4 head onto 2.2 or 2.5

I saw this hybrid combo. How different is it from the neon 95-99 DOHC? Does it have any benefits over the neon head? What is easier to work with the neon head or the 03-05 srt-4 head?

turbo addict

Re: srt-4 head onto 2.2 or 2.5

I believe the same goes into making each head work, but stock for stock, the srt head flows better and has the turbo valves, but the older head has the better cams. Once ported, both heads flow the same, and if you are gonna port the head, then you might as well get bigger valves, and then it wouldnt matter what head you decided to use...

Yeah, I have heard the srt-4 heads do flow better and the neon's have better cams. I figure the initial cost of a neon head is a lot less, plus you can upgrade it by getting it ported since it is off the car anyway.

turbo addict

it's going to be cheaper and easier in the long run to just bolt in a whole 2.4 SRT/PT engine.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The difference in flow in barely noticeable.

Go with whatever head you can find but the Neon head is easier to use as with the SRT head, you need to alter a few things due to different passage locations.

I disagree with Jay, I hybrid is easier, or so it seems, but some like the challange of installing a 2.4, plus if you stay hybrid, you can use the 568 vs the not so good SRT trans. If you go auto, then drop the whole shebang in.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

If Unaclocker can drop a 2.4 into an Omni then anyone can. You take the whole motor, fab up a couple motor mount brackets and go, It bolts up the stock trannies except for 1 bolt. That's a bunch easier than having to pull a motor apart and plug and drill a bunch of holes and run new drain lines IMO. No worries about what timing belt to get or anything else. All you need is a Megasquirt ECU setup or Rbryants dizzy adapter and run your stock electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    If Unaclocker can drop a 2.4 into an Omni then anyone can. You take the whole motor, fab up a couple motor mount brackets and go, It bolts up the stock trannies except for 1 bolt. That's a bunch easier than having to pull a motor apart and plug and drill a bunch of holes and run new drain lines IMO. No worries about what timing belt to get or anything else. All you need is a Megasquirt ECU setup or Rbryants dizzy adapter and run your stock electronics.
    One bolt and one dowel pin, that's huge, and not something for the faint of heart. Either way, each way has their pro's and con's.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

I believe Rbryant makes an adapter for that issue as well. I think it's a lot smaller deal than having to drill/tap/plug and run new lines for the oil drains.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor CNH320's Avatar

After witnessing 1st hand my brother's 2.2 Hybrid build on his 85 Turbo Z i would absolutely go with a full 2.4L swap if i ever decided to go 16V in my CSX. To me there is just a lot less "critical" fabrication needed. But that's just me, to each his own!
    -Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I disagree with Jay, I hybrid is easier, or so it seems, but some like the challange of installing a 2.4, plus if you stay hybrid, you can use the 568 vs the not so good SRT trans. If you go auto, then drop the whole shebang in.
    You add the aluminum engine plate to the SRT 4 / PT engine, so the 2.0 first gen Neon mount hole lines up. The first gen Neon mount lines up with the 2.2 mount. Then you bolt a Neon 350 or any 2.2 trans to it. But if you bolt the 2.2 trans to it then it is super easy to do a little mod work to the front engine bracket. Now the engine and trans bolts in. Add the NA 2.4 power steering and alt and some custom lines and wires, no big deal. Then with Riches adapter you bolt on the dist and run the 2.2 wiring and computers. Piece of cake vs the hybrid nightmare.

There are 3 16v heads, early DOHC, late DOHC and A420 DOHC. The SRT 4 uses NA 2.4 cams as well. The short blocks are where the SRT 4 engine gets a lot of improvement.

Mitsu booster

Building a hybrid is definitly alot of work, but I cant wait to build my next one!

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaTurboZ View Post
    Building a hybrid is definitly alot of work, but I cant wait to build my next one!
    Info?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor CNH320's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaTurboZ View Post
    Who are you kidding?! How about some pics of your current one!
    Last edited by CNH320; 03-07-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    -Chris H
    1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #91 E85 Powered
    2012 Dodge Charger SRT8

Shelby Dodge Auto Club National Member

SDAC Great Lakes Chapter & SDAC Ontario Chapter Member

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by CNH320 View Post
    Who are you kidding?! How about some pics of your current one!

I dont wanna hijack this thread, I will post some up lol..