Thread: 82-83 drivers side transmission mount on Rampage

Hybrid booster

82-83 drivers side transmission mount on Rampage

I've searched the archives but coulnt find a thread.

I'll be using an A555 in my TII rampage conversion. As long as you use the drivers side transmission mount bracket that came off a 82-83 Rampage, everything mounts up rights correct?

The 82-83 drivers side transmission mount bracket has in it what looks like the exact same motor mount that the passenger side does. So in other words, I could purchase two identical motor mounts from Johnny.

I am unsure if the 84 Rampage's use the same mounts like a GLH turbo uses or any L-body 84-90 uses
    Last edited by Steve in VA; 02-23-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: 82-83 drivers side transmission mount on Rampage

I beleive the driver's side mounts are the same, it's the passenger side mounts that changed in later Lbodies.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

The driver side lbody mount did change in 83 or so. Originally they used a bracket combined with the same mount as the passenger side. The frame rail also changed with the mount.

A few years back I was going to use the old mount style with a passenger side poly mount but then I found that the attach point on the frame rail changed and it wasn't a direct bolt on.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

So what do we need to use later mounts?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    So what do we need to use later mounts?
    I think that the later mount will work on the early car but the early mount won't work (or won't work as well) on the later car.

It has been a long time but IIRC the early cars had a much more open rail connection that wasn't as boxed in. It was a two piece deal with a bracket that connected to the trans and the passenger side style mount. It was more open because the driver mount was the same as the passenger mount and didn't have the slider piece in it. In order to center the car the bolts that hold the mount to the bracket on the tranny had to be loosend so the mount could slide back and forth just like the passenger side mount. It would be difficult to use the early mount on the later cars because it would be really hard to access the adjustment bolts.

There is actually one at the junkyard right now that I just pulled the front facia support out of so I have a spare for the GLHS but I didn't really look. If I happen to go back in the next couple of weeks I will take a picture.

Some of the rampage guys that have 83 and older trucklets might know the differences and be able to get a picture of both frame rails. I think there are more of those around these days than there are 78-82 chargers and omnis.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

The motor mount on the left is the 83 Rampage mount, the motor mount on the right is from a 89 Horizon or an 86 SC.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2220073.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	29201

The other 2 pics are of the 83 Drivers side Rampage frame mount

Name:	P2230075.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	29200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2230076.JPG 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	29202

The square shaped support where the long bolt goes thru on the newer mount is to long to fit inside the Rampage frame mount. I guess I could shorten it an inch or so to see if it does fit. But if it did fit, I wonder if it would hit the top of the inside frame mount on the 83.

Also notice how the Rampage tranny bracket mount 3 holes site about a 1/2 lower than the newer style

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in VA View Post
    The motor mount on the left is the 83 Rampage mount, the motor mount on the right is from a 89 Horizon or an 86 SC.

Name:	P2220073.JPG 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	29201

The other 2 pics are of the 83 Drivers side Rampage frame mount

Name:	P2230075.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	29200
    Ok that is what it was... The old frame rail has holes so that you can get at the two mount holes in order to loosen them and slide the mount back and forth...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in VA View Post

Name:	P2230076.JPG 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	29202

The square shaped support where the long bolt goes thru on the newer mount is to long to fit inside the Rampage frame mount. I guess I could shorten it an inch or so to see if it does fit. But if it did fit, I wonder if it would hit the top of the inside frame mount on the 83.

Also notice how the Rampage tranny bracket mount 3 holes site about a 1/2 lower than the newer style
    Hmm does the actual frame attachment point sit lower on the older cars or is it just camera angle?

-Rich

Hybrid booster

I have a drivers frame rail with frame motor mount from the 89 horizon I cut up. I'll take pics of that tomorrow.

I will also get another shot of the two tranny mounts side by side at a better angle. The newer tranny mounts 3 holes clearly sit lower that the rampages tranny mount.