Thread: TU Rebuilt my blue plate clutch! Thanks Chris!

TU Rebuilt my blue plate clutch! Thanks Chris!

Just a bit of background...I've mentioned in the past that I've been very happy with TU's clutches. I bought a blue plate/4 puck back in 2006 for my Shadow that I ran for four years, beat the crap out of mercilessly at the track and ran for quite a few street miles commuting in DC traffic. That clutch held up wonderfully and at the end, held enough to squeeze a 10.98 @ 128 mph out of it. I was thrilled with how it did and how long it lasted.

After I overpowered the blue clutch, I bought a purple plate 4 puck, which has also served me well. In the same Shadow, it's held a best ET of 10.57 and a best MPH of 137. Pedal feel on it is like stock, it's easy to drive and it's held 1.6x short times and in the ballpark of 500 whp on the track.

Last week, I was speaking to Chris about the clutches and I mentioned that I still had the original blue plate clutch and didn't know what I was going to do with it. We got to talking about it and he suggested we see if it could be rebuilt. Since I was heading to visit family, about 20 minutes from his clutch manufacturer, I stopped by his shop with my clutch on Saturday. Mark, the owner, was a great guy to deal with. Very helpful, knowledgeable and seemed to be very willing to help. He inspected it and suggested that he test the diaphram for clamping force, resurface the plate and replace the pucks with a slightly thicker puck to make up the difference for the material that was removed from the plate surface. He also offered to upgrade the plate up to the TU yellow plate specs if I wanted, which I took him up on.

Long story short, Mark and Chris hooked me up. The clutch is already done...since the work is done in their shop, Mark actually turned it around same day. I essentially have a yellow 4 puck clutch assembly for a fraction of the cost of having to buy a new unit. I'm thrilled that this worked out the way it did and can't wait to get the clutch in a car to beat the crap out of it. Eh, I mean run it.

Thanks Chris for working with me and getting this set up. Please pass my thanks to Mark also.

Pat

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: TU Rebuilt my blue plate clutch! Thanks Chris!

That's awesome,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

NIce!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Hey Pat,

After 4 long race seasons I would say you are definitely getting your money's worth out of that Blue Stage II clutch...

Glad to hear everything worked out with Mark and that you were happy with the clutch rebuild/upgrade we provided. The fact that our Entry Level Clutch supported a mid sized P-Body into the 10's speaks volumes here. To date your 10.98@128MPH is a record for our Stage II Blue Plate 4 puck. We would love to see you toss in that Stage III Yellow Clutch and push it to it's limits also. We know the potential of our clutches, but, many customers are still on the fence post and would prefer to hear this kind of feedback from a reliable, un-biased source. The fact that we can rebuild and upgrade our performance clutches will make these units even more desireable now.

In case anyone is wondering......

Target pricing for clutch rebuilds is as follows:

Performance clutch rebuilds will be around $225. for Stages II through IV.
    Currently upgrades are only available from Stage II Blue to Stage III Yellow for an additional $50.
    Stage IV Purple 228mm to 232mm disk upgrade for an additional $25.
    New TOB and alignment tools can be added to any rebuild for $25.

Pat, please post pics of your rebuilt clutch once you receive it. Thanks for your write up and I passed your message on to Mark for you.

Thanks!!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster

+1 CHRIS i've got your 4 puck and yellow plate and that thing grips like no other!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Pat, please post pics of your rebuilt clutch once you receive it. Thanks for your write up and I passed your message on to Mark for you.

Thanks!!

Chris-TU
    I'll snap a few pics this weekend and post them up.

Thanks again, Chris.

Pat

Sorry for the delay...my son was rushed in for emergency surgery last week. We got back home yesterday and all is well, but I'm now playing a bit of catch up.

Here's the pictures of the clutch. As you can see, the puck on the disk are new and the PP has been resurfaced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tu clutch 2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	29463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tu clutch.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	500.3 KB 
ID:	29464