Thread: intermediate shaft question

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

intermediate shaft question

I recently got my short block back from the machine shop, and I was starting to get the motor and trans ready to go back in the car yesterday.

I noticed that when I aligned the notch on the intermediate shaft with the crank sprocket, the oil pump slot for the dist. to fit into was perpindicular to the block, rather than running parralell to the block.

When I set my timing I always just pull the #1 plug, make sure the cam is in the right position, rotate the motor to TDC on the compression stroke, confirm by looking at the timing window on the trans, and then rotate the intermediate shaft sprocket so that the "extra" hole that is outside of the rest is straight up which puts the slot parallel with the block, and then tighten down the timing belt.

Would I be able to just rotate the int. shaft so that the slot is parallel, or is there some thing that indexes there that I don't understand?

Re: intermediate shaft question

There are timing marks on the crank pulley and intermediate shaft's cam pulley.
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Hey Brian. I just got your message earlier today. I forgot to call you back. Do you still need another shaft?
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Mario
    Hey Brian. I just got your message earlier today. I forgot to call you back. Do you still need another shaft?
    Yes I do!

When I line up the timing mark on the intermediate shaft the slot is perpindicular to the block. What will solve this problem, or is it a problem due to the way I like to set the timing?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Pull the distributor cap and see if the rotor is pointing towards cylinder number one when everything is lined up.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Hybrid booster

you need to remove the oil pump and turn the mark on pully to wear the shaft is line up when the marks are lined up. it might take 2 or3 time to get it . als

Quote Originally Posted by 5sp. mini
    you need to remove the oil pump and turn the mark on pully to wear the shaft is line up when the marks are lined up. it might take 2 or3 time to get it . als

Ok, that is what I thought. I really don't want to pull the oil pan again though, so would it suffice to just put pulley so that the slot is parallel to the block? I guess I don't understand what the int. shat indexes other than the dist. which could be addressed by pulling the dist when seting the cam timing.

turbo addict

You can do that.
    The issue came from the gears being helical. When you mated the oil pump to the shaft it turned as it went up.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet
    You can do that.
    The issue came from the gears being helical. When you mated the oil pump to the shaft it turned as it went up.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I figured that was what happened, but it was the machine shop that reassembled the motor. I guess they were in a hurry after 8 weeks.