Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G-bodies vs. L-bodies!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

G-bodies vs. L-bodies!

For the last three days, Ray (86Shelby) and I have been toiling over a TII/520 swap in my '86 Turbo Z CS (see other topic in this section). Over the course of the swap, Ray ranted on all the ways Daytonas are different from Omnis, and how Omnis are better. Now being the owner of '87 GLHS #103 and the former owner of Rays '86 GLHT, I've got nothing against L-bodies, but overall I've always been a Daytona guy. Ray has always been into Omnis. But after all our jesting, we thought it'd be fun to bring the topic to Turbomopar.com. So let's have it! Which is truly the better platform? Naturally, keep the discussion within the rules of the forum and remember it's all in good fun.

The battle of the L bodies and G bodies begins now!

turbo addict

Re: G-bodies vs. L-bodies!

I've owned both. I love L-bodies because of their faults. They rattle. They are bare bones cars. They are small. The Daytona Shelby I had was a great car. It rode better. It stopped better. It had all the power options. I think it may have handled better. For a daily driver, I wouldn't even consider an L-body. The G-body would be a great choice. For going fast (with the same engine), the G-body just can't touch an L-body. They are just too heavy.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I like them both... but prefer the P

L-Never owned an L but have worked on them with others, hands are too big to own one. But they are the power-to-weight ratio that Shelby is known for. Great race car platform.

G-I prefer the room under the hood of a G body. More of a fwd muscle car than a shelby car. Do not make good drag cars

P-Nice compromise between L and G

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Oh, I almost forgot:

Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Lol, Burn!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

.....and '89 GTC T-II cars.... part's cars for your L-bodies AND P-bodies!

(11" brakes, 1-1/4 swaybar, 555, T-II cb 2.2, smec wiring, 16" lace wheels, etc.. the forgotten brother of the Daytona Shelby)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

G v/s L... Wheel base 'bout the same, height "bout the same, Length, 'bout the same, Cabin space "L" bigger, engine bay, "G" bigger.

I swear, chrysler just took an "L" and made a few pampering changes to it..
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Hybrid booster

I've always been a G-body guy. They strike a decent good balance for performance and comfort. No one can deny that from the factory .... they have the good parts. Nooooo ... no .... no .....no ..... G-bodies are not parts cars for L-bodies.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I am a big fan of my L body. Nothing like the lack of respect that a 6'6" guys gets when driving an omni and being dead serious about it. I love the underdog, and I am not sure that there is much better a choice than an omni for that role.

oh it's a tie.

I love 'em both, after the SC it took me a while to get used to the Daytona but now I have I can appreciate its good points. With cruise, air, electric everything it makes for a fab high-speed cruiser ... but overall I prefer the L - the SC/'87 GLHS is a tough, crude, little street fighter.

turbo addict

Gbody faster above 150. Lbody stiffer, longer wheelbase on the 4 door cars, handles better, rides about the same, less chance of the car tearing itself apart because of flex. I like them both. But for a daily driver, racecar the Lbody wins. The chassis is way stronger than the Kbased cars. If it's got rattles then tighten up the screws.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Omni all the way! I'll always be an L-body guy since my first car was an '85 GLH. Never owned a G-body though. I think I just like the 4-door TMs better all around.

turbo addict

I own both cars currently.

85GLH-T with 2.5L, 5spd and 89 Daytona Shelby 5spd with T-tops.

Daytona is a better curiser than GLH-T. Hard to beat driving down with t-tops.

Everything else, acceleration, handling, weight, etc GLH-T wins.

Daytona is 700lbs heavier, that makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592
    I've owned both. I love L-bodies because of their faults. They rattle. They are bare bones cars. They are small. The Daytona Shelby I had was a great car. It rode better. It stopped better. It had all the power options. I think it may have handled better. For a daily driver, I wouldn't even consider an L-body. The G-body would be a great choice. For going fast (with the same engine), the G-body just can't touch an L-body. They are just too heavy.
    +1

Depends on what you want to do with it. For a driver, I'd rather have a G-body. For an all out race car, I'd rather have an L-body for the weight savings. So far, the Sundance (P-body) seems to be a pretty good compromise.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

My mother had one of those TC3's when they first came out. Everytime I look inside an Lbody, whether it's a GLHS or not, I get a sick reminder of that thing with it's cheezy interior.

But, don't let that fool ya... I'd still like to have a GLHS (87 or 86) or GLHT. I'd make due. After all... I drive a P-body and they're not much more attractive to the masses.

At least it's not a minivan!

I figured this would ruffle Simon's feathers
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I drive my GLHS everday, and love it. However it does rattle and squeak like hell, although most of that is due to wore out window rubber and the dash. The dash is the worst, it's actually pretty tight compared to other L-bodies I've seen, but it still shakes and squeaks in places I can never figure out.

I've never had a G-body, but I do have a J-body, and as far as daily drivers go, I loved my Lebaron. It's rode smooth, handled good, had a good comfortable seating position, you could drive all day in that thing with no problem. Right now it's tore apart for my V6 and late-model interior swap, but when it goes back together, I'll probably drive it everyday.

But if it came down to choosing between the 2, the Lebaron would be gone, no way would I take it over my 'S. So, my vote is L-body FTW!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Between the turbo, the exhaust, the bov, and the radio, I don't ever hear any noises in my L!

I'd say Daytona's are fun to cruise in and look a bit better. However I've grown partial to the look of the L's. Weight is definately a plus, and I feel they handle better.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN
    G v/s L... Wheel base 'bout the same, height "bout the same, Length, 'bout the same, Cabin space "L" bigger, engine bay, "G" bigger.
    ya that sounds about right to me, seeing how i have a charger and my daytona parked together all the time. but you whats weird, i have been looking into getting new car covers for the both of them; and when i look at the sizes the daytona is a size 3 and the charger 3-87 is a size 5.....

At the mo the Daytona and SC are both on my drive next to each other ... every time I pull up in my daily I think to myself "damn, that Daytona has a fat backside"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast