Thread: New 1985 Lebaron GTS owner

Mitsu booster

New 1985 Lebaron GTS owner

So I dived in to owning a GTS. I don't like the looks yet, but have seen some nice Lancers in here that I will start converting over hopefully as I can acquire parts. I bought the car in Danville, CA, and must say I like the way this car rides. It has 43,000 miles on it, I verified through carfax, but not too worried as I got it from a rich old guy in Blackhawk. Anyways, the car is pretty clean but needed some cleaning due to it being in storage for the last 8 years, but it passed smog no problem. Everything works, it had a belt issue that just needed the alternator belt tightened and it has a leak in the trunk. It looks as if the foam was removed above the tail lights. It does need new struts, but I will search for some good springs as well. I bought it for driving in rain and commuting and will now retired my 96 M3 in the winter. Here's some pictures of the car. I'll put up some nicer ones when it stops raining here in the Bay and hope to have fun wrenching on this car.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: New 1985 Lebaron GTS owner

Like a time capsule...
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Try Kyb shocks. Definitely NOT Monroe. I have 4 H bodies. 1-85, 2-87, 1-87 Shelby lancer. Oh, another spare body 200 miles away. 85 and distant one are for spare body parts.

REPLACE the rubber fuel lines ASAP. Two under the hood and to and from the filter at the rr wheel. Number one cause of fires on these, and use Injection lines and the original style clamps NOT the regular hose clamps.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the heads up on the Fuel lines. Are KYB OEM replacements? I'm looking for a stiffer ride.

If you have the 15" 60 series tires, they would be equal or better than the originals for the handling package option. The handling package came with the 60's, quick ratio steering and stiffer springs.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the site!

Mitsu booster

Even if it has a handling package, it's still too soft for me. I will be upgrading the suspension regardless. I just changed the thermostat which was getting stuck closed. Also, I think the Original owner used 87 because I just put some 91 and the car pulls much better now up top. I checked the fuel lines and they look new. Everything is in great condition and was stored in a garage all its life. So now after I change the plugs and wires today, I will work the suspension and wheels, and then raise that boost for a little fun once in a while. BTW tuneup parts for this car are cheeeeeap. I love it.

Garrett booster

I noticed yours has the rear wiper...it could also be the source of your leak.
    The rubber grommet were the motor shaft protrudes thru the rear deck are bad about rotting out from the bottom up (read not entirely noticable).

My 86 GTS went thru 3 of those while it was up and running...Texas sun kicked the snot outta those things.

Yes,
    The cover ( or estuchion that mopar calls it ) will cause a leak. I bought one from a guy that had two but it rotted away in less than six months. What I did is fill around the shaft and the other hole with black Rtv. Put something heavy on back of wiper blade ( like as brick ) and put black RTV in the holes and let dry overnight. After drying remove brick and it was fixed for me.
    Yes, replace the fuel hose with Goodyear J30R9 hose and good fuel injection clamps. The best hose you can get and as a plus it is easy to go on and off because of inner liner. I know first hand what a engine fire can do.
    Replace fuel filter and fuel lines also.
    Check inner fender wells behind front tire for any rot or undercoating missing. Fix rot or re undercoat to protect this weakpoint.
    I have owned four H bodies. Still have two.

Good luck,
    Jim

Hybrid booster

welcome! I live 30minutes away from danville! but is that your location?
    1985 Dodge Shelby Charger *never ending project* 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z *SOLD* 1989 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5 Turbo Convertible *CRUSHED* 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T *SOLD* 2006 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L