Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Tubular K-frames now available

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Re: Tubular K-frames now available

Brian shared the blueprints for his tubular k-frame with me....I'll be doing a run of them on my 3D printer using the latest and greatest carbon fiber 3d printing filament(no welding needed). DJ also shared his designs with me so the k-frame will come with control arms too! I need at least 10 buyers to get this group buy started. Add your name only if you're serious and can make payment. Cost will be $500 total.

1. Rx2mazda

turbo addict

1/25 th scale ??

if so put me down for three please

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

That welding comment certainly was meant to deter people from living the high life. Easy to say when you think you are sitting on top of the world. Maybe we should get back to those safer"use stock everything" days (while all of us secretly cheat 1960's NASCAR style).

I do think people here should talk more about fabrication safety, but more so on the side of promoting upgrades. NOT telling people to give up. I was looking at SFI25.x chassis certs, and upgrades from 8.5 to 7.5 and 6.5 second setups. Part of this goes to Brian saying he isn't looking to upgrade his CERT. From all I was reading I did decide that even if you had to cut out a roll bar or 10 or 12 point to upgrade because what you had doesn't jive with upgrade rules, it seems like a very good waste of money. I am not exactly sure on how you cut things out and start over though. Cut the tube off and grind it down to the plate?

I would assume making the K-frames was a financial burden for Brian as that stuff always takes more "free time" than you can charge for. He has kids and therefore free time needs to be compensated. Even a big pile of money is sometimes not enough unless that money leads to "improved free time."
    I don't know about the spherical bearing hardware, does someone have a past technical breakdown on the tubular Kframes or a stock frame conversion? This website is basically stuck 5 years ago tech wise due to site problems etc.

Reaper1, looks like the cool thing to do now is build a jig table or two or three. Bolt down various jig parts to certain locations on the table and fit things up. I did mention to Reaper1 that saving few extra pounds on a K-frame by obsessively dissecting which excess load/stress margins can be subtracted from is not how I want to spend my time. Overbuild it and live with it. OEMs still do that for a lot of combustion engines. I would be most interested in improving access and not care about anything else. I would probably do something completely different. If all you want is to save weight while pretending to be a street car by keeping glass windows, go shove it. That is the attitude that kills all race classes. One guy throws money at the rules until they don't matter.

As always, exclusivity breeds coolness in small communities. In the muscle car world, it just revolves around who will spend the money. Brian posting up about how custom his transmission is to just run 160mph makes me sad. Yes thats fast but power wise he is just toying around right now. I would guess he has 400+whp left on tap if his camshafts are really on game. ANYONE can make the power. You just can't get the transmission to handle it and if you did beg borrow and plead for parts, you need the safety equipment to be a responsible member of your family.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 11-18-2015 at 09:21 PM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Cut the tube off and grind it down to the plate?
    basically yes, sometimes you can retain a few tubes, but when you "cut" away tubes, and grind/sand to "erase" what was left of the old tube, if you aren't careful and go to deep into the tubes you "left" you might not pass tech if they do a thickness check in that spot. this used to be my "job" when working on certain race cars be it drag or off-road, awesome place to work, not fun work I had to do, it sucks being good at something that sucks to do.

and on the welding thing, suspension is a huge difference, and I believe the comments were more for people to take precautions and be cautious when welding those pieces. if you aren't fully confident in your superior welding abilities, then maybe have someone else weld it together for you. ive welded control arms before, but k/frames have a lot more things involved in them... seriously...

Hybrid booster

Thread resurrection.

Still going to make a run of these ? I'll take one for my Lancer

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223