Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Tubular K-frames now available

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

Re: Tubular K-frames now available

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    Hi Brian

Are you planning on making any more of these in the future? I'd buy the one u have now but I have a P body...
    I will most likely be starting a new batch late this winter, feb-mar. I will post here when I am ready to take deposits. Thanks!

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point2 View Post
    I will most likely be starting a new batch late this winter, feb-mar. I will post here when I am ready to take deposits. Thanks!
    Cool, Daddy O!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

brian, any thoughts yet on incorporating the sway bar yet? (stock or aftermarket sway bar)
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

L-body k frame sold. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    brian, any thoughts yet on incorporating the sway bar yet? (stock or aftermarket sway bar)
    I am working on putting a sway bar on one of my frames, but I dont see it working it's way into production. I know it's a deal breaker for some....

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

turbo addict

I honestly couldn't tell the difference with the sway bar gone. Going to do any frames for an Iroc r/t slowe?
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

turbo addict

So how long will i have to wait for anymore l-body k-frames that use the stock cast dual pivot arms so that i can actually use the k-frame...

Quote Originally Posted by 86seeS View Post
    I honestly couldn't tell the difference with the sway bar gone. Going to do any frames for an Iroc r/t slowe?
    I will most likely be doing another batch over the winter. A frame for the IROC r/t is no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    So how long will i have to wait for anymore l-body k-frames that use the stock cast dual pivot arms so that i can actually use the k-frame...
    Unfortunately I will not be making that style any longer, sorry.

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Brian, if there was enough interest, would you consider some van k-frames? (However I don't know if they are simply wider, or if other dimensions are different also.)
    Just curious.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Mitsu booster

Love it! I am working the engineering to install a vw 1.8t into a carbed charger 2.2. This would make it much easier. Do you sell them unpowdercoated so I can weld in supports as needed for the engine?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

OK, quick question:
    Trying to install my slowe K-frame and DJ arms. The k-frame hits the diff cover. I'm running an l-body with a 2.4 and auto trans. I had no issue using the stock k-frame.... anybody use this k-frame with an auto? Is there a different one for auto vs manual?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	243.jpeg 
Views:	159 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	49256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kframe1.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	49257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kframe2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	438.9 KB 
ID:	49258  
    Last edited by glhs727; 03-09-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    OK, quick question:
    Trying to install my slowe K-frame and DJ arms. The k-frame hits the diff cover. I'm running an l-body with a 2.4 and auto trans. I had no issue using the stock k-frame.... anybody use this k-frame with an auto? Is there a different one for auto vs manual?
    Brian uses his with an auto

How do you have the 2.4L mounted? I know the way I mounted mine in the Z (rotating it back so valve cover is 2" further back from the core support, and pivot about the axle centerline) the diff is closer to the stock K-member than when it was a 2.2L.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Is the engine offest more towards the driver side? How about the tilt of the engine?close to what the 2.2 is? Never had one in an l-body with a 2.4 so i cant say what the issue could be. I know for a fact that the 2.2/2.5 w/auto fits with no issue. Is the 2.4 trans case larger in that area?

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Is the engine offest more towards the driver side? How about the tilt of the engine?close to what the 2.2 is? Never had one in an l-body with a 2.4 so i cant say what the issue could be. I know for a fact that the 2.2/2.5 w/auto fits with no issue. Is the 2.4 trans case larger in that area?
    IDK, I might have to take some measurements. But I will say that the stock l-body k-frame fits fine.... not looking forward to cutting, notching and rewelding..... I'm hoping we were just doing something wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing we are the only people to use a 2.4/auto in an l-body...
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

I'm guessing we are the only people to use a 2.4/auto in an l-body...
    Not the Only people.............

Just the first to try out the tubular K-frame with that combo

Just by looking at your pics, it would appear that you only need 1/2" to an inch to clear, is that accurate? Just move the P/T further to the pass side and see how things line up.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

Just by looking at your pics, it would appear that you only need 1/2" to an inch to clear, is that accurate? Just move the P/T further to the pass side and see how things line up.
    what's the p/t ? powertrain?

what's the p/t ? powertrain?
    Correct, move the powertrain over to the passenger side if it's only an inch or less that you need. Passenger side has all the leeway on an L-body and I always run the powertrain as far to the pass side as possible. (this, so we can fit the full size Dynasty axles in the drivers side)

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

Correct, move the powertrain over to the passenger side if it's only an inch or less that you need. Passenger side has all the leeway on an L-body and I always run the powertrain as far to the pass side as possible. (this, so we can fit the full size Dynasty axles in the drivers side)

Like Cindy said we need to check some measurements. I'm not sure there is enough room in the lateral movement to get the room I need. As it sits, the bobble strut lines up perfectly. Also moving to the passenger side also creates axle problems though, I've never tried a Dynasty axle. Do they have the same spline ends for the hub and diff? As for engine rotation I may have some room there but, that probably amounts to some rework of the core support and passenger side mount. Its probably going to take some work all the way around.

I have to say the frame and control arms are incredibly nice. When I told Cindy about the interference she said "well, put the stock k-frame back on". NO WAY is that thing going back on this car. We will make this work. I'm going to go out of my way to make sure I don't have to mod it to do it.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Like Cindy said we need to check some measurements. I'm not sure there is enough room in the lateral movement to get the room I need. As it sits, the bobble strut lines up perfectly. Also moving to the passenger side also creates axle problems though, I've never tried a Dynasty axle. Do they have the same spline ends for the hub and diff? As for engine rotation I may have some room there but, that probably amounts to some rework of the core support and passenger side mount. Its probably going to take some work all the way around.

I have to say the frame and control arms are incredibly nice. When I told Cindy about the interference she said "well, put the stock k-frame back on". NO WAY is that thing going back on this car. We will make this work. I'm going to go out of my way to make sure I don't have to mod it to do it.
    James, how much room do you need to clear? What is it interfering by? (1" or less?)

Which auto trans are you running, A413 87 and newer? Or which axles were you planning on using?

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

James, how much room do you need to clear? What is it interfering by? (1" or less?)

Which auto trans are you running, A413 87 and newer? Or which axles were you planning on using?
    It hard to say exactly, the mount point for the k-frame lacks about 3 inches vertically. To clear that bottom corner cover bolt, probably about a inch but then as I swing up, I might come in contact with another portion of the cover before I actually get seated on the mount point.

The trans is an a413 newer then 87. Cindy thinks the case is actually from a neon. The axles that are in the car are late Omni axles. As was said, everything fits nicely with the stock k-frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	928.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	49272
    Last edited by JamesL; 03-10-2014 at 09:59 PM.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Does anyone else have one installed with an auto?
    I was going to use one in Slug eventually. 2.5 T1, auto.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini