Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubular K-frames now available

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Is anyone using this on a daily driver/weekend racer?

Longterm impressions/review?
    This has been on my radar since first seeing that custom part.
    And again, super work Brian!

my android sent this for me using Tapatalk...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Re: Tubular K-frames now available

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post

I think Shadow is using this on his Charger. It is a street car.

boostaholic

I don't know if they are going to be made again, but if you have the money get it, you know it won't crack like the factory ones and you have more room underneath, makes changing a rack easy. Here is my review

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...yant&highlight=

I am working on a small anti-swaybar now for it, I figure something is better than nothing

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post

I've had this piece along with DJ's A-arms in the Charger for just over a year now. Took a 1700km trip a few weeks back with my wife and 6-700lbs in the back of the Charger. Car drove awesome, both there (loaded) and back (unloaded).

I said it when I first reviewed this piece, it has completly revolutionized the car. I originaly bought it for the drag race benefits, but I believe the benefits on the street in the pure comfort and "feel", (specially over rough roads that use to just Suck having to drive over) far out-weight the benefits just on the track.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

depenbrok

Can I have Carroll's since he's in the deadbeat file? Lol

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by fishcleaner View Post
    I don't know if they are going to be made again, but if you have the money get it, you know it won't crack like the factory ones and you have more room underneath, makes changing a rack easy. Here is my review

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...yant&highlight=

I am working on a small anti-swaybar now for it, I figure something is better than nothing
    When I was there last week, Brian said he was going to make some more but it would be the 1st part of next year.
    Lucky for me he had 1 left. Now, I just need DJ's control arms to complete my front suspension trifecta.....like you fishcleaner.

Eric,
    The work Brian has done on your car is incredible. Very, very nice.

Gregg

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Well if DJ goes back into the control arm business, and Brian makes more next year, maybe these would make good Christmas 2013 presents for Slugmobile!

Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

depenbrok

Thanks Gregg! Would you expect anything less from the Master Fabricator Brian Slowe?

Hybrid booster

still watching and wanting one also,I gotta have a anti-swaybar though.Next year around march will be great timing for me.Not really wanting it for drag racing just to help balance things out
    10 black Challenger Speedfactory Mopar 10 1of1,544hp,530tq 08 black Charger R/T w/R&T 98 black (slate)Jeep GC 5.9 ,M1,E-codes,headers,BBK 89 black dodge daytona shelby T2,13.6@105 71 black Cuda 383,1988-2009,sold

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I've been looking into this too. Early next year would be a lot better timing wise for me. I hope another run of control arms will be made to compliment the K-frame though, and some kind of sway bar provision would be nice.

I was hoping to take the Charger around the local road course this year, but won't get the chance. Maybe a video next year to give some of you an idea of how stable this car is now with out a sway bar.

Any thought of the Charger needing a swaybar has left me. I actually look at sway bars now as a "band-aid fix" for poor suspension

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

Any thought of the Charger needing a swaybar has left me. I actually look at sway bars now as a "band-aid fix" for poor suspension
    Eh, I wouldn't say that...all depends on the weight of the car, the lateral grip it has, spring rates, how agressive of an alignment it has, what the rear is doing/rear set up, etc. With enough spring and not enough tire or neg camber, no bar may be needed. The tires let go before the car really starts to lean over. Throw some fat r compounds on it with reasonable/streetable springs and give it an agressive alignment and some bar certainly is a benefit.

For your car set up to your liking, a bar might not be needed and that's great. Might perform just fine for what you are looking for in the corners. For someone else with a different car set up to their likings, a bar could certainly be a valuable piece.
    Last edited by Pat; 08-22-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I agree with a sway bar being something of a "band-aid" for an unbalanced car regarding spring rates, but it is alot easier to tune a bar than try a bunch of springs, unless you have coil-overs.

We are severely limited on spring choices in the stock location these days. This and tire clearance is a big motivating factor in my desire to go coil-over...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Agree with both of you. As always, I prob came across very cut and dry/ hot and cold, gotta learn to be more "luke warm" when writing this stuff! lol

Heavier car, deff different situation. Guess all I can really say is I'm happy with things the way they are, but results may vary............

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Nothing wrong with having a strong opinion, people just have to "grow a skin", and not get but-hurt when someone disagrees, there are, more often than not, "more than one way to skin a cat"...

Funny thing is, back when the Firebirds were just coming out, John DeLorean felt strongly the same way, that anti-roll bars were a cop out to proper springs... In the end I think he lost that argument, no doubt due to practicalities/costs, not engineering.

To each their own, if it works for you, it's the way to go!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

boostaholic

I can back Shadow up, with the tubular K-frame and A-arms the car handles much better than stock with a sway bar and who knows how much weight was saved, 100lbs.? The autoX course
    had 2 sweeping 180* turns and I could see a benefit of a swaybar there. I'm going to try a small one and if it doesn't work, I'll take it off.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gkabbt View Post
    When I was there last week, Brian said he was going to make some more but it would be the 1st part of next year.
    Lucky for me he had 1 left. Now, I just need DJ's control arms to complete my front suspension trifecta.....like you fishcleaner.

Eric,
    The work Brian has done on your car is incredible. Very, very nice.

Gregg
    Quote Originally Posted by depenbrok View Post
    Can I have Carroll's since he's in the deadbeat file? Lol
    Too late Eric, Brian sold mine to Greg!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

Guess it wasn't yours then, lol.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I was hoping to take the Charger around the local road course this year, but won't get the chance. Maybe a video next year to give some of you an idea of how stable this car is now with out a sway bar.

and your spring rates are???????

Quote Originally Posted by fishcleaner View Post
    I can back Shadow up, with the tubular K-frame and A-arms the car handles much better than stock with a sway bar and who knows how much weight was saved, 100lbs.? The autoX course
    had 2 sweeping 180* turns and I could see a benefit of a swaybar there. I'm going to try a small one and if it doesn't work, I'll take it off.
    Just because the car is stiffer, and the suspension isn't flexing as much doesn't mean you don't need a sway bar. Sway bars are one more way to tune the suspension and balance of the car. If you think they're a band aid fix then go tell the F1 guys that their suspension is poor. Compensating with huge spring rates just hurts mechanical/lateral grip. What's flexing? the springs or your car?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    and your spring rates are???????

Just because the car is stiffer, and the suspension isn't flexing as much doesn't mean you don't need a sway bar. Sway bars are one more way to tune the suspension and balance of the car. If you think they're a band aid fix then go tell the F1 guys that their suspension is poor. Compensating with huge spring rates just hurts mechanical/lateral grip. What's flexing? the springs or your car?
    My front springs are 350"lbs, but you'd Never know if you drove in the car. Ride quality they feel like 185's, but they respond 500% better on dips and bumps because of the hiem joint a-arms and the Fact that the pro lift is allowing the springs to do more of the work, not the joints/arms ect.

F1? Nice comparo! lol Lets try to keep this one apples to apples eh!

I'm comparing the Charger from what it was before (one of if not THE best "feeling" L-body I ever drove) to what it is now, Way better than it ever was before! lol

What F1 guys do I could give a $hit. I'm only interested in what difference this had made to the Charger.

I went from urathane bushings with stock k-frame, swaybar, a-arms and 250"lb springs to this k-frame, DJ's heim joint A-arms, No swaybar and 350"lb springs and
    the difference is night and day.

If I could auto-cross the old Charger (and I know I could as many out there auto cross with stock components) I would DESTROY it with the new Charger!

Nuff said

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast