Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Tubular K-frames now available

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Re: Tubular K-frames now available

Interesting, maybe it's because of how Brutal our roads are around here. I felt the difference the first time I drove it down the side street (actually a 90KM/hr RD) about 5 miles long, but in fairly rough shape.

Going from the 250lb springs to the 350's/ struts remained the same I would say that the old set-up was softer, but harsher if that makes any sense. That is to say that it was too soft of a front suspension for my liking but when you hit a bad strech of road it would give a bang and rough feel as well as big bumps would give a jownsy feel that I now realise was the urathane bushings flexing one way, then the other.

The car is stiffer now, which is great, but it's not harsh at all. I hit a bad part of road and it's like the car absorbes it instead of impacts it. I'm guessing it's a combo of the instant response of the hiem joints + the fact that the springs are now working to a much higher degree. To me (and ppl can think I'm exaggerating all they want) it's the difference of the K-based car it use to be vs the European feeling car it now is (BMW/ Volvo/ Porche) It's stiff and Tight, but increadibly responsive and comfortable.

Now, most ppl don't pay enough attention when they drive to pick 1/2 of this stuff up so I can deff understand them not "getting" how this much could change. There are ppl out there that prefer the "floatation" feel over the feel of a car that gives accurate feedback from the road, so for those ppl they would prob Not like this.

The best way I can sum it up is this; I have a pair of 14lb racing seats that are made of a hard plastic and covered with the S/C seat covers. (so no added foam, just covers and hard plastic seat) I put them in the car when I'm racing it and remove them when I'm driving it on the street because they are brutally harsh on the roads around here. I remember one time several years ago, I went for a quick blast down the side road before heading to the track and the race seats were already in the car. Just driving 5 miles down that road and back was brutal and uncomfortable enough to tell me I would Never run these for any amount of time on the street.

Fast forward to SDAC 21. I installed the seats before I left because there was no way I'm dragging an extra set of buckets with me and swapping them there. Now I should have realised this the first time I took the car up the side street and drove it on the trailor, but it didn't even dawn on me. The race seats don't bother me at all anymore!

I drove the car around at SDAC, took several ppl for a ride in the car (wonder what they thought?) and never was bothered by the harshness of the seats. So much so, that when I got home I drove the car for the rest of the summer that way, including several 300km round trips to the cabin and every time I go into Winnipeg it's a 100km trip + driving around in town. The factory buckets have yet to go back in.

So, take it however you want, I'm just trying to give honest feedback for what I've Experienced, which is what I've always tried to do. I would imagine results may vary because different ppl like different rides (stiff/ floating/ spongy) and have different opinions of things.

To me, these pieces absolutly enhanced every aspect of the cars suspension exactly the way I could have wished for. (picture a wish list and I'm checking everything off here)

Now to the track results; Everything here is based on a good hooking track where the car has netted it's best average 60"s.

Before the tubular crossmember and DJ's hiem joint a-arms; Average good 60's were mid 1.7's with 1.72 being my best average (did this multyple times) and a couple 1.69 and one 1.67.

After the swap and without an alignment (still haven't got in and almost afraid to now); Average good 60's are mid 1.6's with 1.63 being my best average so far and a couple 1.62's and a 1.59 And 1.56! (and I was just getting things sorted out)

So, when I invested in these pieces I was hoping to drop 1 tenth off my 60' And hoping I could get into the 1.5X's. (realistically a 1.58-1.59) Had no idea it would happen this fast, but it did! (really glad I cut that 1.59 60' on my last run or else there would be those who would scream "foul" and say that the 1.56 was just a timing glitch! lol)

I knew that the stars would have to align and several things would have to work out 100% for me to achieve my goal of going 9's with the Charger, specially keeping it a street driver. This is Deff one of the pieces of that puzzle that has worked out 100%+! One of the best investments I've made in the car and I'm just glad that we have members who are willing to make stuff like this available to a small community like ours where "cheap" is the average mid-set!

These pieces were a bargain at this price and I just hope ppl out there realise that!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Yes, sorry, forgot to mention that. I upgraded K-frame and control arms at the same time.
    I would love see some pics

turbo addict

Drag racing results really have nothing to do with RW's valid point. I also don't think Sunday drives were the intended point of the product. More like Sunday drives in a vehicle that has a more serious main purpose.
    Subjective arguments about how something feels on the street are not backed up by drag racing results, and when it comes to street driving, nobody ever seems to agree on what they like. Some people like riding on bumpstops and some old people want a waterbed.

Back to back autocross or circuit events would be useful, not sharing preference. I know my preference tends to aim towards anything I am excited about. Thats why I want a certain house very badly while there might be red flags going off to other parties involved.

Sway bar seems pretty important for anyone wanting to turn while maintaining a tolerable ride. Drag cars trying to teach circuit cars about how awesome they can turn won't get you far. Tell me what you know about putting on 300 wide hoosiers and tossing her around. I myself can't give anyone like that advice about turning. I don't think anyone with the product can pull enough G force in a turn to really give an honest answer.
    Someone showing otherwise would be cool. I myself am not 100% committed to straight line with my next move forward, and that would still require hacking up the center of the tubular K frame and probably ruining it for that T case. I don't know who races the turns. If nobody does, then who really cares about how good we think it would do?

Best to advertise your strengths (seems to improve short times, axles might be happier?) without starting something that is unproven. My one technical point to make regarding turning is that you are increasing the roll center of the car when you remove weight from the bottom. I have not heard about any quantifiable qualities that will help the car turn. Thats where I would leave it up to the people designing the product to give their input.

I know when most people make tubular subframes, that drag and circuit setups tend to be different. When you build your subframe with advantages, you will often create shortfalls for things you don't care about.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 10-24-2011 at 06:13 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

Gang, I am looking to get a few more orders together. I will need a minimum of 3 commited buyers per design to move along.

Also as of the 1st of the new year, these will be getting a price increase to $900.

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point2 View Post
    Gang, I am looking to get a few more orders together. I will need a minimum of 3 commited buyers per design to move along.

Also as of the 1st of the new year, these will be getting a price increase to $900.
    I'm in!

If you were on the fence the price increase should knock you right off!

turbo addict

I wish I could be all over this like stink on sh*t. I'm simply not in the financial position to do it with my Masi engine build getting under full swing. AARRGGHH!!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

put me in for one B. (Carroll pricing of coarse)
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    put me in for one B. (Carroll pricing of coarse)
    So, like $1000, but really we won't know cause you'll only tell us the bench pricing?

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    My one technical point to make regarding turning is that you are increasing the roll center of the car when you remove weight from the bottom.
    Roll Center is a totally different term for what you are describing, and consists of a few technical intersecting lines/angles of the strut to ball joints, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point2 View Post

Three before this year and they're $800, is that how to read that?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Three before this year and they're $800, is that how to read that?
    I thought I saw an original price of $825.00 in the early pages of the thread but I could be wrong. I'd just give him the $900.00 anyway because he's a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    I thought I saw an original price of $825.00 in the early pages of the thread but I could be wrong. I'd just give him the $900.00 anyway because he's a great guy.
    That sounds right, I think I just rounded based on the new price. I feel like I'm a great guy as well if you want to give me part of the $75.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I wish I could be all over this like stink on sh*t. I'm simply not in the financial position to do it with my Masi engine build getting under full swing. AARRGGHH!!!
    My issue is life in general, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    So, like $1000, but really we won't know cause you'll only tell us the bench pricing?
    LMAO!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

I really wish my omni was at a point where I could justify spending the cash on it. There's so much more that needs to be done before I can get this. I really hope your making them for a while cuz I will for sure buy one at a later time

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I'll take one for the Sundance, guess we are going to have to convince DJ to make some more arms...

What was the decision on sway bars? Brian I know you aren't going to include mounts for them, but it's still possible we'll be able to fab something up?
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    my issue is life in general, lol.
    lmao!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt View Post
    I'll take one for the Sundance, guess we are going to have to convince DJ to make some more arms...

What was the decision on sway bars? Brian I know you aren't going to include mounts for them, but it's still possible we'll be able to fab something up?
    If I thought the Charger needed a sway bar I deff could have made something work. I'm going to hit up the local road course next spring and see what happens, but like I already said, with the rear anti-sway bar and this set-up with DJ's A-arms the Charger has sig Less front body roll than it had before the changes were made.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Any autocross/roadrace info on these yet?

turbo addict

Mines installed but havnt driven with it yet. I know that reeves has been running his for a while now
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Garrett booster

As I posted in my project log, last Wednesday I made a trip up to Philidelphia to Brian Slowe's shop and picked up one of these for my Land Speed Rampage:

Thanks again Brian!
    All I can say about Mr. Slowe is WOW! There is so much going at his shop it is incredible. From the work he has done on his car to the transmission stuff he is currently doing to the work on Eric Depenbrok's Spitit.....absolutely incredible. If you get a chance to get to Philly by all means go see Brian.

I have an email in to DJ to see if I can get his control arms for this.....fingers crossed.

Gregg