Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Tubular K-frames now available

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Tubular K-frames now available

Is it just me, or is there some extra webbing on the diff cover area, compared to older 413s? Also, are the number/spacing of the bolts the same?

As an aside, the mount on the factory K-member is not round, which may be where the extra clearance comes from when using it.

Might just have to have a section of the round mounting tube cut and re-welded 180* out of "normal" to give you the relief to clear the diff cover...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Does anyone else have one installed with an auto?
    I was going to use one in Slug eventually. 2.5 T1, auto.
    I have 3 frames in cars with automatics. No clearance issues.

James, I am eager to see what you find with your measurements. I am not sure if there is any/ much difference between the a413 and the 31th in the diff area. I have a 31th case at the shop, i will take a look to see if they are different.

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2point2 View Post

James, I am eager to see what you find with your measurements. I am not sure if there is any/ much difference between the a413 and the 31th in the diff area. I have a 31th case at the shop, i will take a look to see if they are different.
    It will be Friday or Saturday before I can look at it again. Are any of the 3 cars you have frames in L-body (Charger) 2.4 Auto? I appreciate your looking at this Brian.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

Silly question, but is the 2.4 block wider than the 2.2? Just wondering if the offset from side to side is what's causing the clearance problem if all else is in alignment.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    It will be Friday or Saturday before I can look at it again. Are any of the 3 cars you have frames in L-body (Charger) 2.4 Auto? I appreciate your looking at this Brian.

See post #372

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Silly question, but is the 2.4 block wider than the 2.2? Just wondering if the offset from side to side is what's causing the clearance problem if all else is in alignment.
    I didn't check that....

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    See post #372

Ok, as you can tell from the attached pictures there is very little if anything I can accomplish by trying to move the motor to the passenger side. As it stands, I have about .5 to .75 inches before I collide with the frame over there. And please pardon my mess, I've done nothing to clean up in here, just fit up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrameClr.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	527.2 KB 
ID:	49309

So again, I lack about 1.25 inches from the front attachment post.

Name:	frntAttach.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	490.1 KB 
ID:	49310

This amounts to the diagonal support tube of the k-frame colliding with the diff cover corner. The straight section of tube which has the control arm mounts clears the transmission by about .5 inches. So if the diagonal piece were removed completely, the k-frame would swing up and bolt with no problem. Clearly we don't want to do that but, If we did you'd have to remove all the way back to the tube that supports the forward mount point because as the k-frame swings up the 1.25 inches it needs, it continues to hit the cover.

Name:	Collide.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	424.6 KB 
ID:	49311 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swingdist.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	483.4 KB 
ID:	49312

Some bench comparison is interesting.

Name:	Contact.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	49313 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutcorner.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	490.5 KB 
ID:	49314 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PassSide.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	501.9 KB 
ID:	49315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DriveSideIssue.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	475.1 KB 
ID:	49316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DriveSide Issue2.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	419.7 KB 
ID:	49317

Mod required? So I guess this section of tube needs to be removed and replaced with a tube that has a circular roll moving the top of tube location down about 1.5 to 2 inches for good measure.

Name:	mod1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	487.6 KB 
ID:	49318 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mod2.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	515.9 KB 
ID:	49319
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

James I don't have one of these, so I can't speak for the issues. With regards though to the comparison pics, when I got the dual pivot one from Rich Bryant that was made to fit an L body, visually it looked WAY off and did not look like anything lined up. Once installed it fit perfectly, so looks can be deceiving.

I would not want this much trouble on an enemy, but if you haven't already, maybe try to install the tube K frame on an L body with a 2.2? I know it would be some work, but that may be a good indicator. Or again, if you haven't already, measure the center bolt holes on the tube K frame against a good known K frame?

Seriously, good luck with this. If it measures out ok and still doesn't work, let me know and I'll be happy to take it off your hands.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

James, I just measured the difference between the 413 and the 31th. There is only a very small difference <.025" on the case in the area you are hitting. I am sorry you are having issues with the fitment. I looked at the customers L body I have here to try and find out what the difference is.

After seeing the pics you posted vs. the one here in the shop,I now know why you are having trouble. It is because of a change that I made to the support in that area. I deeply apologize for the trouble you are going through. So, anyone with the L body frame that has the narrow spacing for DJ's lca's will run into the same issue if running an auto.

James, I just spoke with Cindy and I'll call you tomorrow a.m.

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Seriously, good luck with this. If it measures out ok and still doesn't work, let me know and I'll be happy to take it off your hands.
    LOL. I bet you would.

- - - Updated - - -

James, I just measured the difference between the 413 and the 31th. There is only a very small difference <.025" on the case in the area you are hitting. I am sorry you are having issues with the fitment. I looked at the customers L body I have here to try and find out what the difference is.

After seeing the pics you posted vs. the one here in the shop,I now know why you are having trouble. It is because of a change that I made to the support in that area. I deeply apologize for the trouble you are going through. So, anyone with the L body frame that has the narrow spacing for DJ's lca's will run into the same issue if running an auto.

James, I just spoke with Cindy and I'll call you tomorrow a.m.
    It's all good Brian. This is just the way it goes when everything is so custom. I'm a long way from giving up on this and I'm sure we can figure it out. Thanks again for your support. We'll chat in the morning.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Any chance of making another run of these?

Hybrid booster

And it begins with a simple inquiry.

I may have to start checking into my available credit,
    and get myself a loan to buy one if they make another run of them.

I personally would encourage Brian to build them and anyone who wants one to buy them, however, I have heard he won't be making more. I hope that's not true, for the sake of others. I LOVE the setup I have and can tell you that the weight reduction and functionality of the tube K-frame is incredible. The simple access you have to just about anything above the K-frame is nothing short of necessary when it comes to maintenance.

Garrett booster

Sounds like people need a good place to spend their christmas cash!! Just got to work on DJ too....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Wonder if begging would do any good?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by karlak View Post
    Wonder if begging would do any good?
    Not sure, but if you read through the whole thread,
    you'll see that Brian is very professional about the whole process.
    The results really speak for themselves,
    but the people who've installed these frames have been literally floored!!!

Of the MANY MANY performance gains this frame offers are:
    - Light weight(compared to the strut type or dual pivot frame)
    - Completely tightens the suspension to the point that an anti-sway bar is not even required.
    - Access to the engine compartment from below is beyond anything we can imagine without actually seeing it.
    And these are just the ones I've heard from many buyers.

I'm not a personal friend of Brian's, but he's somewhat close to me travel wise.
    I think the main issue would be TIME.
    What I know of Brian is he's usually pretty busy with all kinds of things.
    But maybe he'd give it a go again; patience, I guess.

I'm sure he's seen this thread brought back to life.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I'm interested in the context of the comment about "no sway bar required".
    Mainly, is this the case only if you have aftermarket suspension (springs & struts) or would this be the case with stock front struts?

I would like to use the tube k-frame i bought during the group buy on Slugmobile, but i have factory style suspension stuff. I have Spirit R/T springs which did stiffen up things a bit.

Also, i think from my recollection the offer to make these was kind of a winter project. So it is likely it was a means during slower business.

I'm planning on mine being installed over the winter in conjunction with other repair work on Slug. I hope it all works out.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    I'm interested in the context of the comment about "no sway bar required".
    I believe the "no sway bar required" would be if you had the tubular K-frame AND the tubular A-arms.

There's no bushings between the arms and frame; it's heim joints with zero play.

Sorry to have misled you, if I did.

Quote Originally Posted by knownenemy View Post
    I believe the "no sway bar required" would be if you had the tubular K-frame AND the tubular A-arms.

There's no bushings between the arms and frame; it's heim joints with zero play.

Sorry to have misled you, if I did.
    Well, not necessarily a disappointment, since lucky me i do have a set of DJ's tubular control arms to round off the install.
    But the sway bar has been the hangup for me. I guess i could always test it all out by installing it and seeing how it manages.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

turbo addict

You might be surprised at how the car handles and rides with no anti-roll bar up front. I actually haven't run one in years, but the thing is that yes, I do have Eibach's and Koni's. However, I believe that a similar balance of the car can be had with stock springs. With the tubular A-arms and the '91-up style front uprights, the roll center is raised quite a bit in the front so the actual amount of roll the car will experience should theoretically be less. If you are lucky enough to have one of Slowe's K-frames I remember that part of the design was an altered anti-lift geometry as well. This will also help in corners, especially when you get on the gas on the exit.

The cool part? The car will ride better because the front suspension isn't all bound up and can actually work!

BTW, I know my tubular a-arms have a provision for a mount for an anti-roll bar if I would want one...but I had to ask for that to be done when I bought them.

I'm right there with you!
    I signed up for the sway bar mount provision on my tubular control arms.

I might try that out. It is mostly going to be for racing, but Slug is just too fun as a daily driver also to take that from her.
    Wayne H.