Thread: Rebuild, or not rebuild, that is the ?

Mitsu booster

Question Rebuild, or not rebuild, that is the ?

ok, so, i bought an 88 shadow es 2.2 t1 car for 300.00. i had it taken to the dodge delership where i work as a tech rebuilding transmissions so i have ALL the tools i need to fix this car properly. i knew when i walked into this that the previous owner popped a head gasket (big suprise there lol) but she kept driving it until the engine quit. i pulled oil pan and valve cover and the amount of rust was stagering. cam rusted in head, #1 exhaust rocker fell out of place crank has rust and cylinder walls have rust. should i have this one rebuilt or just get one from a local bone yard and rebuild it, only trouble is i'd need to remove covers and caps to inspect bearings and condition. Wich reminds me, i was poking around 1 of the few yards here and found a shelby daytona all f'ed up, laying facia down in the dirt getting destroyed, how sad. can i put a t2 long block in this car too? how about fabbibng my own FMIC? my 05 5.7 ram getting hard to keep fuel in, this little 4 cylinder would be a releif.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Rebuild, or not rebuild, that is the ?

Well, as you know, when overheated, they can turn into paperweights, usually the head warps so badly and cracks its junk.

I would search for another decent long block, which is great as you can use a TBI engine if you want, 89+ will be alot more common, then all you need to do is find some decent rods if yours are buggered and get some new pistons, forged of course.

FMIC is easy to install, and you might want to source up a Garrett turbo, the Mitsu is ok but as we all end up doing, you want more.

Go surf this site for a few hours for more ideas-

www.thedodgegarge.com turbo database section.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would be sourcing a new long block too.

Mitsu booster

ok, yea i was already planning on junking the current engine and rebuilding a good one from the boneyard. i was just thinking in terms of cost. i already have 2 garret turbos, and not the ones with the removeable 3 bolt inlet. they have the 2.5'' outlet, the good ones haha, found em on fleabay for about 40 bucks a peice plus shipping so 60 a peice. plus a dozen of the mitts turbos. what trans bolt up to the srt4 2.4 liter that i can run since the t-850 doesnt fit from what i have read and been advised of. its got a 3spd auto in it now, and would like to keep that since you can never shift as fast as an auto trans and theres no boost loss between shifts. and i can build it to handle it, but i dont plan on makign a drag car out of this either haha. just a little sleeper to go along with my 87 conquest tsi :-), anyone close to vegas that has a good buildable 2.2 turbo engine?? id like to get a t2 long block if possable. i have a truck and can come get it.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

i forgot to add im putting a 2.2 back in it for now because nevada dmv will do a vin inspection and TOTAL emissions check since the car has out of state title (california). the 2.4L turbo engine can go in later lol

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You don't need a T2 engine, the only diffference is the crank, cast is more than adequate.

As for the SRT engine, you can fit the 568's etc but you need to weld on another locating dowel. Check out "turboshad" build log, he has pics.

If you want to run an auto, just use the Neon 3 speed, bolts up then modify it to last and get a decent TC.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

awsome. thanks for the info!! :-)