Thread: L body trans horror

Hybrid booster

L body trans horror

ok the struggle is a a520 into 87 sc.............

i have done at least 5 trannys in l bodys......

never enjoyed one

someone (KEN ?) mentioned pulling the snout ?stub off tranny for ease of install........

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

is this easy to put back on once its installed?

use black rtv on seal?

this is for my t2/t3 clutch upgrade....so i need quick and easy ...car is on stands and tranny is ready to go on......

help

deuce

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: L body trans horror

I once pulled an A525 out of a Charger in the junkyard. Didn't pull the K-frame or the axle tailshaft and it was a nightmare getting it out the bottom. It's so much easier to pull the engine out and attach the trans and then drop everything as an assembly through the top.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Yes, EASY to get in once in the car. Use black RTV.

Make some guide pins...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Hybrid booster

thanks KEN ............lol rookie trouble have fresh clean homemade guide pins ive used before......it was 88 degrees in the garage and i said enough fun for the night.....i pulled tranny by myself and it would be sweet to put it back together by myself.........a challenge...

and i have done the "pull the whole motor/trans routine........just didnt feel like doing it that way.....i mean if i overpower this new clutch it comes out in a few weeks........

deuce

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Another tip...

Jack the engine up using the oil pan and wood block approx 1/2-1" and pull it forward slightly.

They will sit in the bay with just the 2 mounts but will settle down and back... This makes the K frame really come into play...

Duece... 94 in my garage yesterday. Thankful I was only cleaning it
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

^^^ That was one of the tips that worked well for me with the guide pins. But I was working on a Daytona, supposedly has more room, but sure didn't seem like it.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Hybrid booster

sweet 94 degrees..........thats what i put up with turning wrenchs last year in my garage..........and those temps make the pik n pays feel like a sauna....

why 88 degree's makes me want to throw on a jacket

gonna jack up that motor...........doh..................

deuce

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt
    ^^^ That was one of the tips that worked well for me with the guide pins. But I was working on a Daytona, supposedly has more room, but sure didn't seem like it.
    More room behind the intake and between the block and rad support. The geometry is the same due to the same drivetrain, so the K frame issue is the same (pretty much) for all models.

That jack and slight move forward REALLY help. Tail shaft housing off...
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

AH ok, I understand now
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Everytime I do a trans, I seem to learn something new... And I've done a few
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

I've yet to do the tranny in my "L" however with the stock carb 525 I've been told the time is coming soon. Ken, you say pull the motor forward; towards the radiator? Leaving the pass and under radiator mounts attached? The guide pins, do you put those in the top two bellhousing bolt holes to align the motor and tranny together?

If you put the block and jack under the oil pan, the engine should tilt forward into the area it should be in. For guide pins, I took one of the trans bolts(forget the size off hand) bought two bolts from the store that were a little longer then cut the heads off and added a slot for a screwdriver. Threaded them into the top two holes. Then from underneath once the trans was in the vacinity I could essentially "hump" the trans up onto the pins. Once on the pins it was cake.

Fun times
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle
    I've yet to do the tranny in my "L" however with the stock carb 525 I've been told the time is coming soon. Ken, you say pull the motor forward; towards the radiator? Leaving the pass and under radiator mounts attached? The guide pins, do you put those in the top two bellhousing bolt holes to align the motor and tranny together?
    Just slightly, As MC said, Top 2 block bolts for the pins.

Yes, Leave the pass and rad support mounts attached. As you jack it up, it will move forward towards the rad support by itself.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo
    It's so much easier to pull the engine out and attach the trans and then drop everything as an assembly through the top.
    I agree. If you ever have had a transaxle that won't let go from the engine, you'll wish you did pull them out first. Getting everything to line up properly while under the car with the tranny is frustrating. I've done it both ways and the comeplete assembly through the top is the easiest.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Hybrid booster

ahaaaaaaaaa.!!!!!!!!!!!

pulling tail shaft was the ticket......also jacked up motor........but the tail shaft gone made it a breeze.......i will do it that way again..........ooops is that bad luck???

and 200+ miles on new clutch and it works sweet......

now to hit 18 psi and let that motor talk.......

biggest thanks to KEN..........

deuce

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I pulled one at the junkyard over the weekend and it was 112 (phoenix,az) out so I have you all beat... It was so hot in the sun that I couldn't touch most of my tools without dropping them in pain. I drank over a gallon of water, etc.

I always lower the car down until the engine/tranny sits on a moving dolly then unbolt, jack the car up and it roll the engine/tranny in/out on my car.

The process is pretty quick if you don't count the time to put the accessories (alternator, pwr steering, ac) on/off. The chances of smashing a finger and/or dropping a tranny on your head are also greatly reduced.

The junkyard is a different story though since I don't have to put the tranny back in which is what I really hate to do so I just unbolt the frame and then drop only the tranny out. This saves time because you don't have to remove all of the accessories.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by mcsvt
    Then from underneath once the trans was in the vacinity I could essentially "hump" the trans up onto the pins. Once on the pins it was cake.
    Gary,

That has got to be one of the stranges mental images I have ever gotten while reading a post

88, 94 degrees heck with that! I think I just found my next referigeration project. I'm gonna air condition my garage! Just gotta get the floors done in the house so I can move everything in. Right now it's a 2 car storage building.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant
    I pulled one at the junkyard over the weekend and it was 112 (phoenix,az) out so I have you all beat... It was so hot in the sun that I couldn't touch most of my tools without dropping them in pain. I drank over a gallon of water, etc.
    Which tranny did you pull? I didn't see any TII cars lately.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe
    Which tranny did you pull? I didn't see any TII cars lately.
    Just a newer 523. I wanted the 3.77 ring and main for adding an OBX to my 568. That will bring my gearing up a little but not super high like the 3.50 gears would.

-Rich