Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fullly ported TIII heads and 8 valve heads-looking to offer with dyno proof!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Cool Not available anymore!!

I've mentioned this before but I met a very good head porter, he has been in the game for along time, used to do engine/head work on race bikes, IE the AMA and Formula USA series, drag bikes, before Yoshimura was around and even they used him, and won alot of HP contests, races and racers loved how is engines ran, they weren't peaky, anyhow, he's built alot of good heads, redid my friends ported 1J head and picked up 40 whp on less boost, the same truck I raced a few years ago,

I had him cut apart one of my TIII heads and he says they are good but there is lots of room for improvement. He has a boost flow bench so he can actually test it at boost. I have given him a swirl head for now to play with.

So, if there is any interest, on Wopr's 92 Iroc R/T-stock except for cam gears, 50 trim turbo, FWD Cal and exhaust, I will pay for a stock TIII head to get done, we will do a dyno session, take the head off, have him do it and go back, no tuning except fuel and redyno on the same dyno, same boost and compare.

There will be only 1 porting job, no stages etc, all will get the same and he also plays with the chamber, prices will be around $800 plus parts. If nobody really interested in another head porter, I won't bother as its not worth my time and money.

His flow bench, his name is Farrell-

http://www.flowbenchtech.com/forum/v....php?f=3&t=287
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 01-09-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Fullly ported TIII heads and 8 valve heads-looking to offer with dyno proof!

why dont u show us pics of this chopped up head!!

Re: Fullly ported TIII heads and 8 valve heads-looking to offer with dyno proof!

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    why dont u show us pics of this chopped up head!!
    I gotta take pics, I have only a slice, lol. Steve won't be happy,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I would be interested. Need to get repairs done first.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I gotta take pics, I have only a slice, lol. Steve won't be happy,
    wont be happy your showing pics? or wont be happy that you only got a slice???
    wtf was wrong with the head u chopped???

the ports r really nice. other then gasket matching the intake i wouldnt do much more then some bowl work. id love to see what kind of meat there is around the valve guides

could def use lots of exhaust pics

turbo addict

Simon,
    Having a fully ported whatever (16V or 8V) head will require you to have an intake & exhaust manifold ported to fully realize the ported heads potential. In other words it's not gonna show it's gains (or losses) unless the manifolds are matched to the modified ports on the cylinder head. You could make substantial gains on the cylinder head and it could just get choked off by the manifolds. You change the manifolds to rectify that, then you've changed more than just the head and the #'s are distorted that way too. For example running a highly modified ported head (exhaust side) with a stock exhaust manifold could be so turbulent it could flow less than a stocker. On the intake side, the intake could become the bottleneck. Do you understand what I'm getting at here?
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Simon,
    Having a fully ported whatever (16V or 8V) head will require you to have an intake & exhaust manifold ported to fully realize the ported heads potential. In other words it's not gonna show it's gains (or losses) unless the manifolds are matched to the modified ports on the cylinder head. You could make substantial gains on the cylinder head and it could just get choked off by the manifolds. You change the manifolds to rectify that, then you've changed more than just the head and the #'s are distorted that way too. For example running a highly modified ported head (exhaust side) with a stock exhaust manifold could be so turbulent it could flow less than a stocker. On the intake side, the intake could become the bottleneck. Do you understand what I'm getting at here?
    Todd

I do, but then your choking the heads potential with the manifolds and I guess it should be assumed if your getting a decent head, you should have a good intake and exhaust manifold's. I really don't want to get into a war but like i said he's been doing this 30+ years and made alot of fast engines. The back to back is also a good test of his abilities, wouldn't you think?
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 02-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.

turbo addict

It's great that you found a fella with his experience to work with you on something like this .. stuff like this doesn't happen every day and for some, not even in a lifetime. It's always nice to have another pair of eyes working with you. .... slip the guy a Ghead while you're at it.

If nobody really interested in another head porter, I won't bother as its not worth my time and money.
    im still trying to figure out why it would cost you $$$ when its someone elses car???
    if your offering to pay for a port job ill send my head out!! lol

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Is this Tom Farrell? long lost and formerly of Los Angeles?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    It's great that you found a fella with his experience to work with you on something like this .. stuff like this doesn't happen every day and for some, not even in a lifetime. It's always nice to have another pair of eyes working with you. .... slip the guy a Ghead while you're at it.
    He has one, I gave him a swirl head to cut up and he's figured out how to make it flow, he actually said they are not as bad as I told him, lol. He has a 287 head of mine, I am going to get him to do it and sell it, he mentioned the chamber sucks and he'll fix that.

im still trying to figure out why it would cost you $$$ when its someone elses car???
    if your offering to pay for a port job ill send my head out!! lol
    Why, do prove he can do it and to get his name out, helps me and him make some money and you guys a product that works. But at this point, probably won't, I am broke and we have alot of head porters already so I guess we'll see how my new head works out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Is this Tom Farrell? long lost and formerly of Los Angeles?

No, Farrell is his first name.

turbo addict

He has one, I gave him a swirl head to cut up and he's figured out how to make it flow, he actually said they are not as bad as I told him, lol. He has a 287 head of mine, I am going to get him to do it and sell it, he mentioned the chamber sucks and he'll fix that.
    cc on the g-head chamber. Todd had mentioned to me a few years ago how todays chamber shape/thinking has favored the chambers like on our swirl.

I am interested in what his approach to "fix it" will involve. That welding thread was intended to see about the practicality of doing some work in the bathtubs chamber ... to more "modernize" the shape and to diminish some of the volume. Basically mimicking the swirl chamber @ the short turn(s) and maybe also filling a little on the exhaust side of the plug boss.

Would like to know his reasoning on the positive flow bench aside from a better understanding of the flow dynamics of a running engine. An invite here and an open thread would be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    cc on the g-head chamber. Todd had mentioned to me a few years ago how todays chamber shape/thinking has favored the chambers like on our swirl.

I am interested in what his approach to "fix it" will involve. That welding thread was intended to see about the practicality of doing some work in the bathtubs chamber ... to more "modernize" the shape and to diminish some of the volume. Basically mimicking the swirl chamber @ the short turn(s) and maybe also filling a little on the exhaust side of the plug boss.

Would like to know his reasoning on the positive flow bench aside from a better understanding of the flow dynamics of a running engine. An invite here and an open thread would be pretty cool.
    No welding is needed, he is using Epoxy in the swirl port and its the location of the spark plug on the G-head that's an issue, so'll be address that with grinding.

I haven't talked to him since last Saturday as he does this as well as his other job.

Why, do prove he can do it and to get his name out, helps me and him make some money and you guys a product that works. But at this point, probably won't, I am broke and we have alot of head porters already so I guess we'll see how my new head works out.
    ok, you want to get the guys name out, so your saying your paying for the port job on wopr's head??? and when you say, help make "me and him" some money, what exactly are we paying you for if hes doing all the work? lol

if someone wants to make a name for their self, maybe they should think about doing a "pro bono" or whatever the heck its called.....

ok, you want to get the guys name out, so your saying your paying for the port job on wopr's head??? and when you say, help make "me and him" some money, what exactly are we paying you for if hes doing all the work? lol

if someone wants to make a name for their self, maybe they should think about doing a "pro bono" or whatever the heck its called.....
    You obviously don't know how business works, lol.

Ok business 101, if the vendor sells a product, they are sold that product for a discount, so then they mark it up to make some money, this is called making a profit. If you don't do this, you go bankrupt or ask for a government bailout.

How do you know he isn't giving me a deal on the porting? Shouldn't assume.

I would never expect someone to give me free port work, especially in the turbo dodge market, we are all mostly cheap azz's,

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Forgot to add, he's going to look into relieving the valve spring pressure thru playing with valve height and machining down the spring pocket, EDIT, this is for the TIII head, to avoid buying Ti retainers or modifying stockers.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 02-21-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Talked to him last night, he's very excited about the 8 valve head, lol, lots of material to work with he said.

He also trained with Smokey Yunick and Grump Jenkins, pretty cool,

turbo addict

[/COLOR]Forgot to add, he's going to look into relieving the valve spring pressure thru playing with valve height and machining down the spring pocket,
    Simon, You guys better take a good look at the seat material thickness on a swirl head. Between cutting that down and raising the roof, your gonna be flirtin with disaster IMO. There is some material to play with, but not huge amounts. Anyway, why are you concerned with relieving spring pressure? The 8V motors don't seem to chew up valvetrain parts like the Lotus head from having too much seat pressure. Are you trying to get more installed height or reducing seat pressure? I can easily get to 1.7xx installed height with the right combination of parts and w/o sinking valves.
    Todd

Hey Simon, did you get those heads from Don yet?
    later Dick Westerhof

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Simon, You guys better take a good look at the seat material thickness on a swirl head. Between cutting that down and raising the roof, your gonna be flirtin with disaster IMO. There is some material to play with, but not huge amounts. Anyway, why are you concerned with relieving spring pressure? The 8V motors don't seem to chew up valvetrain parts like the Lotus head from having too much seat pressure. Are you trying to get more installed height or reducing seat pressure? I can easily get to 1.7xx installed height with the right combination of parts and w/o sinking valves.
    Todd
    Its for the TIII head, thought I'd been more clear, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    Hey Simon, did you get those heads from Don yet?
    No, Don's been busy. I can't wait to boost flow the 655 head, giddy up,

I can't wait to boost flow the 655 head, giddy up,
    awesome, you the man! now get me some TIII head chop pics n ill be really impressed

so im guessing there isnt much meat to work with on the TIII head? as he is saying there is lots to play with on the swirl head......I have a ported swirly here I had raised the roof on. each port roof has a different angle leading into the bowl, as I was trying to guessimate or "laser eye" a nice angle to get it done, without breaking through! lol. I was very pleased with the swirl head afterwards. I thought I had the port looking better then a G head one (or very similar) combine that with the swirl chamber and it should work nice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast