Thread: 87 shelby z runs like crap

turbo addict

87 shelby z runs like crap

This is for a friend. He has an 87 shelby z that runs like crap. It randomly misfires at idle, At cruise it misfires and when you hold the engine at 2000 rpm the thing just starts going crazy with dropping cylinders and just not running right. So far Ive cleaned the injector harness, we changed the plugs and changed the wires. We haven't checked the timing but the distributor is locked down and it came from a running car so I dont think thats the problem. Does it sound like the injector harness could still be fubar?

I also have a question about the pulse dampener, its leaking on that car and what would you do? Replace it with another (where do I get one) or is there a pipe thread that fits it so it can be plugged off?

Thanks
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: 87 shelby z runs like crap

Has it been sitting for awhile? What's the fuel pressure? Any codes?

Not sure you can remove it, as the fuel actually goes inside of it, I'll see if I have a rail kicking around and look at it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Re: 87 shelby z runs like crap

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Has it been sitting for awhile? What's the fuel pressure? Any codes?

Not sure you can remove it, as the fuel actually goes inside of it, I'll see if I have a rail kicking around and look at it.
    Yes it sat for quite a while. The PO bought it with a cracked ring land and bought a t1 motor for it. We got it and spent the 3 hours putting it back together. Fuel pressure is 55 with vac line disconnected. and there are no codes.

It also did this with different Logic modules, Stock and a socketed one with turbonator LM on it.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.