Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T1 Mods?

boostaholic

T1 Mods?

Ok so if I keep this Lebaron, How fast can you make a T1 set up? Can it be intercooled and is there cals for them? I dont know if I want to get into swapping a T2 set up in. I think it may need injectors so now would be the time to mess with stuff.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: T1 Mods?

If you don't want to swap to TII I don't think I would personally intercool the log. Just my preference, but the extra work for the TII setup would be worth the performance gain.

Lebarons are heavy so fast will be relative at 12-14PSI with a log. You can get a MP computer for it though. You could even socket your LM and burn a MP chip for it on the cheap.

turbo addict

From what I have seen, a T2 swap is easier then intercooling a log. My NY gained a bunch of power going from a log to a stock style t2 swap.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I have an MP computer for an 86 Log,

But yeah, do a cal, cold intake, exhaust, MBC and have fun, otherwise make it a blow thru setup and IC it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I did do a bunch of research on hoping up a log before I swapped my NY. The hot combo back in the say seemed to be a g-head, water injection, about 18psi, and 3" exhaust. A guy with a name I cant pronounce put a 87 4 door lebaron into the low low 14's with this setup. I really looked at going this route, but had all the parts laying around for a T2 swap.

boostaholic

I'd like to be in the 15-18 psi range on the log set up. Who can do me a cal and how much? What injectors to run?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by clocktowersniper View Post
    I'd like to be in the 15-18 psi range on the log set up. Who can do me a cal and how much? What injectors to run?
    You could probably get by just fine with 33lb injectors. Keep an eye on #3 & 4 plug. They will run leaner than the others. At least that is what I have found. Perhaps due to heavily ported exhaust manifold.
    Todd

boostaholic

33lb is stock? I know cut off is around 15 psi boost. So how do I make sure I have enough fuel?

turbo addict

27lbs are stock. 33's would be T2 or 2.5 or T3 injectors. Just like anything else you need either a wideband 02 or a narrow band gauge to moniter the a/f ratio. With your boost goals I think your going to need water injection. Water injection is very easy to do on a log, because you dont need the monster pump like you do with a T2 setup, as you can spray the water pre turbo. I would talk to Spraynlog, he built a really simple system for his 86 K-baron.

boostaholic

Ok, Cool. If this were a Daytona or something I'd go T2 but I just dont get into Lebarons. I will pick up the 33's, A 3 inch exhaust kit and now I need to find a cal. Any leads?
    I'll PM Sprayn on the water injection.

turbo addict

Honestly, If your going to buy a cal, and 33's... Id just pick up a 1-piece intake and go T2. You don't have to intercool it right off the bat, just run a 88T1/89+2.5 hose. Your only a few bucks away from being t2 at that point. Youve been talking about selling it and I think a T2 swap would make it alot more valuable. It would to me.

boostaholic

What electronics do you need to go T2? And I would have to change turbos right? Or could I run the same turbo? Is there a difference in the harness?

Quote Originally Posted by clocktowersniper View Post
    What electronics do you need to go T2? And I would have to change turbos right? Or could I run the same turbo? Is there a difference in the harness?
    You will need a TII compressor cover or conversion piece for the air inlet. You will need to add two wires for the AIS and then move a couple around in the harness.

boostaholic

Aaaak I really dont want to pull the engine apart on this thing. Its a PITA to get the manifolds off in car. Does the turbo have to come off for the conversion piece? And where does one find it?
    You guys are killing me! I think you are secretly conspiring to get me to mod this car. hehe.
    You guys are gonna make me get off my lazy butt and do this arent you?

turbo addict

Dont forget the OG! This right up was done years ago and should have all the info you need!

http://thedodgegarage.com/turbo_glhs.html

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

One of these may not be ideal, but they work. I have a home made one on my NY. http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/budg...pter-p-40.html

You don't have to take the turbo off, but you will need to take the cover off.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You don't have to take the turbo off, but you will need to take the cover off.
    Its going to have to come off to notch it to clear the intake. Doing this on the car would be a waste IMO. Id pull the head, do the mods and put it backtogether with a fresh MP gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Its going to have to come off to notch it to clear the intake. Doing this on the car would be a waste IMO. Id pull the head, do the mods and put it backtogether with a fresh MP gasket.
    You're probably right. I don't recall having to notch anything on my 600 when I used a TI blow through intake, but I may have and forgot about it.

boostaholic

Ok, I decided I am going to keep this thing as close to stock as I can right now. I will be giving it to my kid after all. When she saw the digi dash light up and I let her take it for a spin, She loved it. Ok then, I guess I am looking for a computer to run aprox 15 psi boost, slightly larger injectors and and exhaust. Any suggestions? Besides that I will put some nicer wheels on it.

An MP computer would be the easiest. Rob could burn you a chip for it.

When you say the kid will be getting it, are you talking about the 13yo? That's three years to have fun with it before giving it up. Don't limit yourself too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast