Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Brakes???

Garrett booster

Re: Big Brakes???

I have aftermarket 15s so I think I'll be good

Hybrid booster

i have some neon wheels or steelies, if your dont work, as some temporary wheels if yours wont work bud. BTW CHECK YOUR TEXT MESSAGES HOMIE

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I know this must be common knowledge for most of you, but what's the easiest way to change my 10" front rotors to 11" on my '91 Shadow? What model am I looking for at a strip yard?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict

pretty sure the 91+ minivans will get you the brackets and calipers you need, then just buy rotors for a spirit R/T. You'll want to upgrade to 11" rears with a matching MC and prop valve though as well.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

You'll need the newer spindles, the caliper mounts won't bolt onto the shadow spindle, the bolt spacing is way different. Some of the latter spindles have the mount cast in as well.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

His 91 shadow should have the newer spindles. only 87-90 11's had the molded in caliper brackets.

Missed the year, so yeah, should be fine with the adapters only.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Missed the year, so yeah, should be fine with the adapters only.

Mike
    Adaptors? So, I need the calipers and rotors/pads and what else?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

The spindles/knuckles either have the caliper mounts/adapters cast-into them or they'll bolt on. If yours bolt on you may need the adapters, I can't recall if the adapters for the different sized calipers are the same or not.

I got mine from rock auto as loaded calipers, and those came with the adapters, which makes installation very easy, just the two bolts for the caliper adapters and you're done! These were called out for a 92 caravan.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

turbo addict

91+ 11" adapters have the same bolt pattern as the 91+ 10" brakes but the spacing where the caliper sits is much larger for the larger caliper. So you have to have the adapters to match the calipers.

Thanks for the info! Is a different proportioning valve really necessary if I keep the rear drums?

The short answer (IMHO) is no, but would be if rear discs were installed.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

turbo addict

agreed, though I wouldn't be putting 11's on the front and only running drums on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    agreed, though I wouldn't be putting 11's on the front and only running drums on the back.
    My goal is less overheating in mountain driving. I had my 10" disc pads catch fire on a long downgrade in Austria. I would prefer disk all around, of course, but the rears look like a much more complicated conversion that will have to wait a while.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

You'll be fine with 11" fronts and rear drums. Just grab the calipers, caliper brackets and rotors for a '91-up 11" brake car, bolt it all on and call it a day. Well, make sure you bleed them too lol. And actually, flushing the brake system wouldn't be a bad idea either if you haven't done so all ready.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Definitely flush and fill with some good fluid if you used them hard enough to catch them on fire! Glad you didn't get fluid boil, might not be having this conversation otherwise!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

turbo addict

you caught the brakes on fire?? Maybe try a lower gear in the trans so they could get a breather?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    you caught the brakes on fire?? Maybe try a lower gear in the trans so they could get a breather?
    The mountain road down from Garmisch in Germany to Insbruck is notorious for causing brake fires. The lady at the Gasthaus restaurant where we pulled in to put out the fire said there was one just about every day that pulled in smoking or on fire. I'm sure certain types of pad material are more combustible than others. This was on my Voyager LE BTW, but it has the same 10" brakes on the front as my Shadow. They were brand new pads and rotors but I don't recall the brand. I went back with ceramic.

turbo addict

Anyone ever find a after market large brake that fit our cars?
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Me and DodgeZ put complete SRT4 front strut/spindles assemblies w/ Wilwood 12.25" brake kit in his GLHS.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast