Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Brakes???

Garrett booster

Big Brakes???

I have an 88 Shelby Z. I want more stopping power so naturally I want to do a big brake conversion...My question is what do I need? I have the caliper brackets off an 11in setup already. Could I bolt those on to my stock hub and just buy rotors and calipers?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Big Brakes???

Quote Originally Posted by brokendaytona View Post
    I have an 88 Shelby Z. I want more stopping power so naturally I want to do a big brake conversion...My question is what do I need? I have the caliper brackets off an 11in setup already. Could I bolt those on to my stock hub and just buy rotors and calipers?
    You will need a 91+ knuckle off of a cast control arm car. With that, the caliper bracket you already have, a caliper, rotors, and pads you will be all set for the front of the car.

It would be a good idea to check which proportioning valve you have. The 11" brake cars came with yellow tags on the prop valves from what I've seen.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The 90 and older 11" setup didn't use brackets, it was a one piece knuckle, so if you have brackets, they are either the regular 10" 90 and older brackets or you have the 91+ brackets in which case, Cordes explained it. I would go one step further and get the matching K-frame and cast control arms.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The 90 and older 11" setup didn't use brackets, it was a one piece knuckle, so if you have brackets, they are either the regular 10" 90 and older brackets or you have the 91+ brackets in which case, Cordes explained it. I would go one step further and get the matching K-frame and cast control arms.
    Why cast arms? The stamped arms are lighter.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that he could have picked up 10.5" caliper brackets. I should have been more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Why cast arms? The stamped arms are lighter.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that he could have picked up 10.5" caliper brackets. I should have been more specific.
    I think the jury is still out on running the old set up on the new knuckles, unless I missed it where its a good thing. I sure if Rich sees this, he'll correct me, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I think the jury is still out on running the old set up on the new knuckles, unless I missed it where its a good thing. I sure if Rich sees this, he'll correct me, lol.
    From the measurements I've seen Rich post running the later knuckle on the earlier arms is a benefit.

Garrett booster

I took the caliper brackets off a 92 Daytona IROC. I knew they were 11in rotors because I measured them. Thats why I took the brackets from the pull it yourself junk yard. The car also had a 568 that somebody else grabbed before I could.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    From the measurements I've seen Rich post running the later knuckle on the earlier arms is a benefit.
    At stock ride height the swaybar is harder to install because the arms are pushed downward but that is about the only real difference.

All of the changes to geometry are below the axle.

I am working this out with Simon in a PM and I think we are close to an agreement that they can be used with no problems. Lots of people are currently running 91 knuckles on older cars with no issues.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    At stock ride height the swaybar is harder to install because the arms are pushed downward but that is about the only real difference.

All of the changes to geometry are below the axle.

I am working this out with Simon in a PM and I think we are close to an agreement that they can be used with no problems. Lots of people are currently running 91 knuckles on older cars with no issues.

-Rich
    Yes, a few more NICE pm's and we'll have it hashed out, lol.

Yes, a few more NICE pm's and we'll have it hashed out, lol.
    Yea I get too carried away with what I think is technically right or wrong sometimes and I can be impolite.

Sorry about that. It is like that at my work so I get conditioned to argue on technical merits and not worry about it getting personal. I have worked with the same guys for 8 years or so and we are pretty harsh with each other and know that it isn't ever personal. I can't act that way with people that I don't know that well.

-Rich

So yeah, use the new knuckles on the old control arms.

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Yea I get too carried away with what I think is technically right or wrong sometimes and I can be impolite.

Sorry about that. It is like that at my work so I get conditioned to argue on technical merits and not worry about it getting personal. I have worked with the same guys for 8 years or so and we are pretty harsh with each other and know that it isn't ever personal. I can't act that way with people that I don't know that well.

-Rich
    No worries, just bustin your chops,

Garrett booster

honestly I don't like the stamped CA. Mine collapsed when I was pressing in the bushings. And the dual pivot k-frame seems like a better design for a smoother ride.

honestly I don't like the stamped CA. Mine collapsed when I was pressing in the bushings. And the dual pivot k-frame seems like a better design for a smoother ride.
    Note that there are also dual pivot stamped control arms.

Overall the cast arms are probably the best and will give the most comfortable ride but they do weigh 2.25lbs more each compared to the dual pivot stamped arms. They also move the wheels forward a little which can be a clearance issue on some of the cars due to the fender skirts.

-Rich

turbo addict

how the hell do you collapse steel pressing in bushings? Love my stamped steel Dual pivot arms and the "lightweight" 89/90 spindles.

Garrett booster

lol I honestly didn't think it was possible but it happened.

Hybrid booster

so when we get the shadow out we are doing brakes??

Garrett booster

hopefully it all depends on money...just to avoid possible head aches....15s will fit over the big brake set up right?

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

I am gonna try to make some aluminum control arms...would anybody be interested in something like that?

Hybrid booster

i think the vans came with 15s and big brakes. you are going to make control arms?? this should be interesting lol. good luck bud

turbo addict

15's fit most of the time. I've seen where 91+ big brakes had to have some grinding done to clear Centurions

Quote Originally Posted by Spr-T-23 View Post
    i think the vans came with 15s and big brakes. you are going to make control arms?? this should be interesting lol. good luck bud
    They did but they have the larger wheel pattern and they reduce your turning radius, alot.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    15's fit most of the time. I've seen where 91+ big brakes had to have some grinding done to clear Centurions
    And some Pizza's, minor grinding fix's that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast