Thread: HID projector headlights

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

HID projector headlights

So I've had e-code housings for my HID's but I've always wanted "the real deal" which are true projectors with a perfect cutoff. The only way to do this so far is to get the insanely expensive "boob" headlights:

Or do your own.

I started out with a set of ebay housings someone gave me. They are junk to put halogens or xenon bulbs as they were. I found out there were fiberglass when I tried to cut them. The glass would not bake off either, apparently it was not an adhesive seal that melted.

I went to theretrofitsource.com and bought these: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...e7ae3921e3bece

They aren't the benchmark S2000 projectors in terms of beam pattern or lack of hotspots, but they are quite good, above ebay quality.

I copied more or less what someone else had done, cut out the housing to match the shape of the projector, and mounted it with 4 bolts, using nuts to achieve the desired aim. The stock adjusters can be used for fine tuning as well.

Came out pretty good. Keep in mind you do have to cut the header panel behind the headlights and the headlight buckets themselves. Note that this is just a writeup, I wouldn't make another set for any price.

I didn't get any beam shots, but its way better than anything you will get otherwise and I'm not annoying anyone. The cutoff is perfect, though the headlights do sit a couple degrees off (they peak in the middle) which is fine, and actually its so slight im shocked given that I didn't exactly CNC the hole positions. Even went 8000k with the color which is pretty high for me. I think I'll go to 6000k if one of these ever burn out though.

These are the same size as Charger/Omni 200mm headlights. Not sure if you could do them with daytona/lebaron/shadow ect 165mm.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: HID projector headlights

Very cool, I would love those for a Minivan, too lazy to make my own, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Here ya go. Real Phillips HID kits for 4656's.

http://www.fireprogramsestore.com/di..._detail&p=1843
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

$1000, that cost more than the 3 motors I've put in my car! Daaaang.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Here ya go. Real Phillips HID kits for 4656's.

http://www.fireprogramsestore.com/di..._detail&p=1843
    That makes me feel alot better on "blowing" $150 on this project.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You can get those housings on Ebay for like $20,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Those aren't real. They're a reflector kit with a projector looking cover. The "projector" does absolutely nothing if you think about the end of a bulb and the reflector being black makes it absolutely useless.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Glad to see this done the right way. I am in the middle of doing a retrofit on my Ram using BMW M3 projectors.

turbo addict

Im am going to make a setup for the spirit with these.

http://www.rallylights.com/SearchRes...CategoryID=568

They dont need any other shielding so I am just going to make a flat steel plate that bolts in place of the factory headlamp with the holes for these modules.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Yeah, that's the way I would go if I did a set of these for the lebaron seeing as you'd only see them when the doors were open, and it would be dark anyway. Could lose the light beams and make more room for IC and or intake tube too.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Mitsu booster

I installed HID headlights on my 1988 Daytona back in December 2005. I bought a Bi-Xenon kit off of eBay from a company called HIDynamics, about 6 months later they were gone and i haven't seen them since. There was a recall on their kits for being to bright so i think they got shut down. I choose a 12000K kit which didn't exactly give me the color output i wanted but i kept it because the color was different and still is. Its like a pinkish white color, not that ugly blue stuff you commonly see. I paid $350 for the kit, not including the headlamps which were probably 50 each. HID kits have come down a lot in price since i bought mine 6 years ago. It was a real pain installing these on the Daytona, i remember doing a lot of cutting! I would post a picture on this thred if i could figure out how to do that....im kinda new to the forum thing.

I just have them held in place to make sure that there is enough clearance, but this is how the lebaron's will work:

Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Hybrid booster

J&H Ryan posted a special kit there, because its a single headlight with a moveable shield to make it high or low beam. This is useful for Omnis and Chargers or course. For those with dual lights like the 84-86 Daytona, you can get the simpler cheaper ones that don't need a moveable shroud since they just switch to the other assembly.

Good job! How did you mark and cut out the plastic, and what did you seal it with?

What I really want is to retrofit some LED strips in the rear tailights of the SC.

Actually I posted both, the moveable shield with the jeep and the simple one with the lebaron. I used a little jigsaw and sealed with aluminum tape. Gaps were small when cut right. Could use a a sealer, but that seemed more permanent. As far as the cuts, I traced conservatively and trimmed to fit. Led strips are good, but I liked the 10th second simplicity of the led Detroit bulbs. I did it already to the daytona and lebaron. I have more if you don't want to be ripped off with online prices.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Do these send out a focused beam or the typical obnoxious deluge of white light like most ricer conversions? I.E., is there a visible line where it doesn't shine above, like expensive CORRECT HID kits?

The higher the number, the more purple they are. Helped a friend install 4300K HIDs in his M3, and they were crisp clear light.
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

It's a perfect cutoff. They're fx35 headlights. I have 8k for fun in the jeep, 6k in the lebaron and 5k in the 300m. 300m has headlight assemblies from a special.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ