Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shelby Dodges to be included in Carroll Shelby Tribute

Mitsu booster

Re: Shelby Dodges to be included in Carroll Shelby Tribute

Answers to frequently asked questions:

Strange set-up? Perhaps, but I've always done my own thing in life. Why stop now? In a mundane, predictable world, it's nice to come home to a place that is truly unique and not status quo!

Daily Driver? '03 Ford SVT Focus. Euro package, bought new, love it! 23 mpg on a daily basis. Did I consider an SRT-4? Of course, but waaaay to crude for a daily driver! Plenty of thrust, but no refinement! And, I don't drive 4 door cars....which means YOU guys need to snap up the Omni GLH's and Turbo Lancers!

Fluids: I keep all my cars filled. I start them up time to time. On blocks? No. Flat spots don't bother me, it's not like I'm taking my parents out for dinner in them!

On not driving them: My mantra is the same as Daniel Carpenter's (he collects low/no mile Fox Body Mustangs). "A car can be restored a thousand times, but they are only original once." Thus, I consider my cars not only "survivor" cars, but "guidepost" cars. Ones that can be used for reference during restorations in the future!

Just because I don't drive them doesn't mean I don't love them. I mean, how many guys build a house and shrine around theirs!

And about being in it for profit? BULL#$%! I was offered six figures for the last Mustang SVO built and turned it down. owning part of history is much more important to me than putting cash in a bank! Plus, what do you replace a "one of one" or "last one" with????

See you at the show!

Gerry

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Strange set-up? Perhaps, but I've always done my own thing in life. Why stop now? In a mundane, predictable world, it's nice to come home to a place that is truly unique and not status quo!

On not driving them: My mantra is the same as Daniel Carpenter's (he collects low/no mile Fox Body Mustangs). "A car can be restored a thousand times, but they are only original once." Thus, I consider my cars not only "survivor" cars, but "guidepost" cars. Ones that can be used for reference during restorations in the future!

Just because I don't drive them doesn't mean I don't love them. I mean, how many guys build a house and shrine around theirs!

Gerry
    Sweet!!

I have a Ducati 888 SPO Ltd. 1 of 200 for world production. 3800 miles and doesnt' get ridden much... 100 miles in the last 6 years. i have other stuff to ride. This one is the prize, it will stay in the house as well as soon as moving is complete. Not everybody gets it.
    Gene

turbo addict

Gerry, you have the ONE car I want, but I know I can never have....the last Daytona built! I'd at least love to SEE it in person some day!

Mitsu booster

On Ducati's and Daytonas!

OMG....my brother has a Ducati Monster "something" (sorry, I'm not into bikes!) which he keeps inside. Actually, he was driving it, but has a little boy and wife. I think he started getting some jitters since we've had a rash of motorcycle fatalities around here, so he dropped insurance and stashed it away. I remember him telling me...."it's like getting formula one type performance on two wheels!"

Now, regarding the G-body Daytona, last one made IROC/RT. It had 7.5 miles on it when it came to the dealership. It has nine (9) on it now. I will always remember my conversations with the Dodge management regarding that car.

Things like...."are you SURE you want the UAW workers to autograph it?" "Yes, we found you a delete (no a/c or power lock car) R/T at a dealership in the midwest. Has sat unsold for over 8 months." "Sorry, we can't build you a blue delete car, what's your next choice?" "Because of your Chrysler collection we are allowing you the final unit built. The car is not to be resold, do you understand?"

And, the ultimate....."Gerry, can you come to Sterling Heights to be with your car when it comes off the line? We are having a small celebration."

You guys will kill me but.....I couldn't go to due a hectic work schedule. So far, one of my life's biggest regrets!

Because I couldn't go, they made it up to me. Sent me pictures of the car from stage 1 of assembly (bare shell) to the final inspection (sticker being put on window).

I can easily see why you are in love with the last G-body made. She's rare and unique. Lean and green, and best of all, still a virgin!....LOL!

Another funny thing. At the dealership I work at, the ORIGINAL SALESMAN is also there. He ribs me everyday about that Daytona!!!!! "Hey G, when do I get to drive it?" "You know I gave you a great deal on it!", etc. etc.

Hell, that was what? 18 years ago? And I see this dude almost every day. Just proves that truth IS stranger than fiction!!

Gerry

turbo addict

On Ducati's and Daytonas!

OMG....my brother has a Ducati Monster "something" (sorry, I'm not into bikes!) which he keeps inside. Actually, he was driving it, but has a little boy and wife. I think he started getting some jitters since we've had a rash of motorcycle fatalities around here, so he dropped insurance and stashed it away. I remember him telling me...."it's like getting formula one type performance on two wheels!"

Now, regarding the G-body Daytona, last one made IROC/RT. It had 7.5 miles on it when it came to the dealership. It has nine (9) on it now. I will always remember my conversations with the Dodge management regarding that car.

Things like...."are you SURE you want the UAW workers to autograph it?" "Yes, we found you a delete (no a/c or power lock car) R/T at a dealership in the midwest. Has sat unsold for over 8 months." "Sorry, we can't build you a blue delete car, what's your next choice?" "Because of your Chrysler collection we are allowing you the final unit built. The car is not to be resold, do you understand?"

And, the ultimate....."Gerry, can you come to Sterling Heights to be with your car when it comes off the line? We are having a small celebration."

You guys will kill me but.....I couldn't go to due a hectic work schedule. So far, one of my life's biggest regrets!

Because I couldn't go, they made it up to me. Sent me pictures of the car from stage 1 of assembly (bare shell) to the final inspection (sticker being put on window).

I can easily see why you are in love with the last G-body made. She's rare and unique. Lean and green, and best of all, still a virgin!....LOL!

Another funny thing. At the dealership I work at, the ORIGINAL SALESMAN is also there. He ribs me everyday about that Daytona!!!!! "Hey G, when do I get to drive it?" "You know I gave you a great deal on it!", etc. etc.

Hell, that was what? 18 years ago? And I see this dude almost every day. Just proves that truth IS stranger than fiction!!

Gerry
    Very nice! I know it's a lot to ask, but is there some way to post the build pictures of the car as it went down the line? This is something I've always wanted to see because it gives an idea of how each of our Daytona's came into this world! I own 4 myself (2 90 baseline V6's one being my first car with around 350,000 miles and the other is for parts, a '91 V6 ES that used to be Rick Lozier's 12 second nitrous car, and my DD '88 Shelby Z).

I've made it a goal to try and track down a sister to your car as close in production as I can get, restore it, and enjoy it. Besides a Phantom R/T, it is truly the only TIII car I want! I've heard stories and rumors over the year that all of the last Daytona's were Emerald Green R/T's all optioned exactly the same. Can you confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I've made it a goal to try and track down a sister to your car as close in production as I can get, restore it, and enjoy it
    http://www.motoverse.com/vehicle.asp...XW64A0PN544922
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

WOW!! That's in good shape! What's the VIN of the last Daytona Gerry? Also, doesn't it have leather seats? Makes me wish I had $5000 and a place to store it!!

Mitsu booster

If I were you....I'd hunt down one of the last 63 made. Yes, they were all built the same. Mine was emerald green, cloth enthusiast seats, overhead console, rear wiper, premium sound.

Found out the VIN's and start hunting!

A few made in that "last batch" pop up every now and then. Go for it!

I don't have a scanner, can't forward pics. You can refer to the story in a mopar magazine that showed pics of it throughout the assembly process. Forget what issue and what month! I'm thinking one of the guys on here can scan and post it! Perhaps our friend Paul Fosen with all the blue IROC's? Or maube Ralph Scott with the blue '93 IROC/RT.

Thanks, Gerry

turbo addict

If I were you....I'd hunt down one of the last 63 made. Yes, they were all built the same. Mine was emerald green, cloth enthusiast seats, overhead console, rear wiper, premium sound.

Found out the VIN's and start hunting!

A few made in that "last batch" pop up every now and then. Go for it!

I don't have a scanner, can't forward pics. You can refer to the story in a mopar magazine that showed pics of it throughout the assembly process. Forget what issue and what month! I'm thinking one of the guys on here can scan and post it! Perhaps our friend Paul Fosen with all the blue IROC's? Or maube Ralph Scott with the blue '93 IROC/RT.

Thanks, Gerry
    I've seen and read that article several times. I still don't own it, but that day will come as well! LOL My only complaint is that the pictures I remember seeing were #1 B&W, and #2 small and grainy. I'm sure you have a more complete album that just the few that were posted in the magazine.

Anyway, not having a scanner is kind of a deal breaker. I suppose that means I'm going to have to make a trip to seee your collection in person...of course only if you're ok with that and invite me. I do respect the fact that such a collection is a treasure and you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Respectfully,
    Chris "Reaper1" Grimm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123