Thread: L-Body 11" fronts and 11" vented rear questions

Hybrid booster

Question L-Body 11" fronts and 11" vented rear questions

I've read a bunch of threads about what parts you have to use to upgrade an "L" to the larger brakes. I was getting a lot of different info and I have a few questions about the combination of parts I should use. Here it goes!!!

1. What are the models and years of the cars had the 11" vented rear? Is there any difference in the backing plates or calipers on these different models? (91-92 Spirit R/T's, LeBaron GTC, Intercooled Daytona's.)

2. What is the best route to get 11" on the front of an "L"? I have no problem with machining the front spindles to have the proper width and proper angle and strut bolt position.

3. Am I able to get a off the shelf race pad that will work on the front of the car? When I upgraded the fronts on my 87 CSX using a 89 GTC parts I soon found out that none of the manufactures of track quality pads had any available for the car. I believe that all the rear pads are the same.

After all of this is figured out I'll have to write up a good thread on converting the L's to 11" brakes.
    Last edited by glhs399; 01-28-2016 at 03:51 AM.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: L-Body 11" fronts and 11" vented rear questions

Quote Originally Posted by glhs399 View Post
    I've read a bunch of threads about what parts you have to use to upgrade and "L" to the larger brakes. I was getting a lot of different info and I have a few questions about the combination of parts I should use. Here it goes!!!

1. What are the models and years of the cars had the 11" vented rear? Is there any difference in the backing plates or calipers on these different models? (91-92 Spirit R/T's, LeBaron GTC, Intercooled Daytona's.)

I believe all the rear parts are the same. They came on 89 TII cars and the TIII cars. Some of the later V6 daytonas came with them as well.

2. What is the best route to get 11" on the front of an "L"? I have no problem with machining the front spindles to have the proper width and proper angle and strut bolt position.

I would grab some knuckles off of a 91+ car with the cast arms. Then get the calipers and brackets off of a minivan with the 11" brakes. The rotors from the van won't work because they are a different bolt pattern, but a set of new rotors for the correct application will solve this. Then have them machined for the strut width.

3. Am I able to get a off the shelf race pad that will work on the front of the car? When I upgraded the fronts on my 87 CSX using a 89 GTC parts I soon found out that none of the manufactures of track quality pads had any available for the car. I believe that all the rear pads are the same.

Check out Rich Bryant's ad for the Hawk pads. That's where I would start.

After all of this is figured out I'll have to write up a good thread on converting the L's to 11" brakes.
    See red.

Hybrid booster

So the 91+ knuckles are compatible the "L" the stamped control arms and the stock "K" member? If this is so the only other thing that I would need to change would be the ball joint.

Thanks for the help!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

They should go in place like the other ones would. They supposedly have a little bit better geometry when combined with the stamped arms which is why I recommended them.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    See red.
    kind of a little misleading information here
    so how do u get 91+ control arms on an L body k frame??

find an all wheel disk car in the junk yard. it will have everything u need.

unless you have a dual pivot K frame theres no point in taking control arms BTW....

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post

unless you have a dual pivot K frame theres no point in taking control arms BTW....
    He meant get the knuckles off from the car (that came) with cast control arms. He was using the cast control arms as the way to recognize that they were the correct spindles. I am 99.99% sure that he didn't mean to get the knuckles and control arms. Of course I can make dual pivot frames for the lbody but they are a custom modified piece and cost $580... http://rbryant.freeshell.org/kframe_buy.htm

Doug,

I have the vented rear setup on my GLHS and plan to go down to to the non vented brakes. I can sell the vented setup with new rotors (ok well they were on the car for 150 miles driving and probably only have 50 soft stops on them) I also have some some brand new rear EBC greenstuff pads if interested send me a PM and I can work out a price with you.

Of course I have lots of the front 11" front Hawk pads left. I am still in the hole pretty big on these given that I bought a couple hundred sets so please buy some.

Are you looking for a real race pad or something that will also be driven on the street? I wouldn't recommend a race compound unless you are actually using them in an event where you are heating them up first. Otherwise race pads will never get hot enough to work correctly.

-Rich

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post

He said, get the KNUCKLES off a 91+ CAST control arm'd car, then machine the knuckle to fit the L body strut.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

So the 91+ knuckles are compatible the "L" the stamped control arms and the stock "K" member? If this is so the only other thing that I would need to change would be the ball joint.

Thanks for the help!
    There is no need to change the ball joint. The only thing you have to do is thin the knuckle and then slot a hole so you can get your camber back. If you don't slot them you lose somewhere around 5 degrees of camber when using the lbody knuckles so you will end up around +2 degrees or more which is pretty bad.

If you were to run a daytona or neon/srt4 style coilover with them then it would fix the camber issue without needing to thin or slot them. The SRT4 coilovers would need some spacers to use the 91+ knuckles but that isn't a big deal.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the info guys, Now I just need to find a car at the yard. I missed out on the Spirit R/T last weekend. It was there the weekend before, I went back and it was already crushed. Are all the 91+ front brakes the "big" 11" setup? I'll just keep a lookout for a 91+ car with the vented rear, and pull off the knuckles, front calipers and all the goods off the rear. It will be nice to be able to use the bolt in bearings also! I have some spare 5X100 bearings that I have on hand for the Chump Car that I can utilize. Rick, this setup is for the stage rally GLH. I might have to order up a set of HPS pads and see how well they work. I'll need something that heats up pretty quickly but you also need something that can withstand 20 miles of left foot braking. They also might be good for the Chump Car also. I've just been using some high end Monroe's due to the fact that that's the only thing that I can get off the shelf. They hold up well enough to last 10-12 hours of track racing and don't fade too bad with easy braking. Thanks for the info guys! A proper how to thread will proceed.

D.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Thanks for the info guys, Now I just need to find a car at the yard. I missed out on the Spirit R/T last weekend. It was there the weekend before, I went back and it was already crushed. Are all the 91+ front brakes the "big" 11" setup? I'll just keep a lookout for a 91+ car with the vented rear, and pull off the knuckles, front calipers and all the goods off the rear. It will be nice to be able to use the bolt in bearings also! I have some spare 5X100 bearings that I have on hand for the Chump Car that I can utilize.

Rick, this setup is for the stage rally GLH. I might have to order up a set of HPS pads and see how well they work. I'll need something that heats up pretty quickly but you also need something that can withstand 20 miles of left foot braking. They also might be good for the Chump Car also. I've just been using some high end Monroe's due to the fact that that's the only thing that I can get off the shelf (I have 89 GTC 11" brakes on the car now.) They hold up well enough to last 10-12 hours of track racing and don't fade too bad with easy braking.

Thanks guys! A proper how to thread will proceed.

D.

Thanks for the info guys, Now I just need to find a car at the yard. I missed out on the Spirit R/T last weekend. It was there the weekend before, I went back and it was already crushed. Are all the 91+ front brakes the "big" 11" setup? I'll just keep a lookout for a 91+ car with the vented rear, and pull off the knuckles, front calipers and all the goods off the rear. It will be nice to be able to use the bolt in bearings also! I have some spare 5X100 bearings that I have on hand for the Chump Car that I can utilize.
    The spindles and bearings from the 91+ cars are all the same. The caliper brackets and calipers are the difference in the 11" brake cars. The calipers with brackets are actually available from rockauto and even autozone and so are the bolt in wheel bearings so you just need the spindles from the junkyard.

Rick, this setup is for the stage rally GLH. I might have to order up a set of HPS pads and see how well they work. I'll need something that heats up pretty quickly but you also need something that can withstand 20 miles of left foot braking. They also might be good for the Chump Car also. I've just been using some high end Monroe's due to the fact that that's the only thing that I can get off the shelf. They hold up well enough to last 10-12 hours of track racing and don't fade too bad with easy braking. Thanks for the info guys! A proper how to thread will proceed.

D.
    The HPS pads should work well for you. They work well without needing warmup laps and can still take a good amount of abuse. They aren't a "full race" pad but they will perform as well as any street pad that you will find. They are designed to take more heat than the Caravan LTS pads that are a colder temperature pad (so they can stop the heavier vehicle when cold).

If you want them just order them from the link in my Sig. I guarantee the lowest price anywhere on new 91+ 11" HPS pads for our cars.

-Rich