Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hey turbo engine experts.. got a few minutes? (dsm warning)

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Hey turbo engine experts.. got a few minutes? (dsm warning)

This article was written some time back about the 'ol "crankwalk" theory on the 4g63 2g 7-bolt. Granted, I don't really think it was as big of a problem as it was made out to be, but this is an interesting theory. Now currently I have a few of these blocks laying around; all of which need some type of machine work done. I was considering blocking these squirters off after doing some reading about them and how they can get clogged or bleed down, ect. However, I know that their purpose is to cool the piston/rod. "They" say that if you go with a good set of forged pistons that there will be no issues with not having them. Just curious as to what other people's thoughts are on this. Apparently they have run a few race-built engines with no issues.

http://magnusmotorsports.com/?page_id=323

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

turbo addict

Re: Hey turbo engine experts.. got a few minutes? (dsm warning)

Dsm=fail

yeah, yeah.

too bad that can be said for just about any car that has had a following of moronic kids and hacks.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Hybrid booster

I'm no engine expert but I recommend running the squirters because the pistons get very hot in a turbo engine that gets driven more then a 1/4 mile at a time. Lack of oil changes/extreme oil temp will allow the oil to coke up the squirters. (not *usually* a problem with synthetic oil) As for the dreaded crank walk I've drilled a 1/16" hole thru the main web where the oil hole is that feeds the bearing & thru the thrust surface of the bearing facing the flywheel side of the block. Big block chevys had the same problem & that's where I got the ideal from... Hope this helps !

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I had a TIII with major crankwalk. It was so bad the crank had to be replaced, but the block was OK. I got the block off of eBay so I don't know how it happened; I always assumed it had some mondo pressure plate that wore out the thrust surface on the #3 main. Replaced crank with 2.5L after reading about Cliff R's Aries wagon.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    yeah, yeah.

too bad that can be said for just about any car that has had a following of moronic kids and hacks.

True, but even moreso for mornic TM owners.... hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by TurboJerry View Post
    I'm no engine expert
    What?! That's news to me (btw: how's it goin' Jerry?)

One thing people fail to recognize is that ANY engine that gets beat on a regular basis and is making more HP than stock needs to get rebuilt every so often (race engines = every season) This means NEW rings and bearings....

I think if that Shepard guy can run in the 8s, then he's got crankwalk all figured out
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I had a TIII with major crankwalk. It was so bad the crank had to be replaced, but the block was OK. I got the block off of eBay so I don't know how it happened; I always assumed it had some mondo pressure plate that wore out the thrust surface on the #3 main. Replaced crank with 2.5L after reading about Cliff R's Aries wagon.
    hey do u happen to know the link to that article?? i was trying to find it a week or so ago. alls i remember was that the car picked up like 40 wheel tq and not a loss of HP. I got a 2.5L lotus too

That's true about the more HP part; but these people claim to have seen premature failures on stock engines. Shep runs a 6-bolt... the oil squirters are fed from the main oil galley; whereas on the 2g they are fed from the main journals. So the thought is the location was part of the problem.

Thank you for the input thus far.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Unfortunately Cliff's site went down some time ago. I also heard he sold the car and is back to 2.2L because they couldn't keep a head gasket in it. I'm hoping for the best for my 2.5L TIII.....not making a bunch of HP like Cliff was, just want to make my SL fun again! Honestly I will probably just use stock head gasket and maybe ARP studs.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

I actually read the article this time around....

The guy has some valid points.... but I am not sold that the "stuck open" squirters are the culprit, causing loos of oil pressure/flow at the main bearing/thrust. I am sure it makes a difference, but not so sure it's enough of a difference that he's seeing those problems. But every band-aid fix will add up and help...
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor "Top Fuel" Bender's Avatar

10's AGAIN '07, '08, '09
    TFB Fabrications custom billet machined parts for you Turbo Mopar

turbo addict

That's al I got.

turbo addict

I had a non-cb T2 motor that developed crank walk... destroyed the thrust surfance on one side of the crank. Had a t2/t3 clutch and got beat on alot. The machine shop I took it to, to see if it could be fixed years ago told me the first machine that turned it could have messed it up when the turned it, or I could have been twisting the block but its almost impossible to tell.

As for your oil squirters, I would try to find a way to keep them. But if it will fix the crank walk, and its not going to be going into a real high HP car maybe you could get away with it?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Bottom line on the squirters is that they are there to cool the pistons as has been mentioned. Replacing cast for forged is always a step up, even they loose much of their strength at elevated temperatures. A cooler running piston is a stronger piston, so I'd keep or even add them to an engine, but you do need to ensure the oiling system can maintain 10PSI of pressure for every 1000RPM.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Thanks for the suggestions. That's kind of why I was on the fence about it. Magnus builds race engines; not daily drivers. This could be fine for that application, but maybe not so much for a daily driver. They also use N/A blocks (which do not have squirters) but once again; racing purposes. Sure a good forged piston could probably handle the extra heat; but what if it can't.. then I'm out the 400-500$ for pistons. lol..

I guess what I'm trying to do here is build something that is done right and reasonable. All three of the engines I have do not show signs of the dreaded "walking crank" but sometimes I'll come across some interesting articles like the one above and it makes me stop and think. Mitsu also DID change the thrust bearing design in 1998. I was thinking of using that bearing; if possible.. since this so called problem seemed to have disapeared in 98 and into the EVO platform.

There's just been so much hacked and slashed on this car it's really sad. I'd rather see someone body kit a car up then mess with the suspension and drivetrain components.

Oh yeah.. in response to the one image above: never had a trans problem with the car. Until about 197,000k. CLUTCH problems; well that's another story.... then again this is more of a manufacturer problem than a car problem. A stock 215HP car shouldn't be able to break fingers like this:

NEver will use another ACT clutch again.

turbo addict

ok i need a dsmucation - are you talking about the squirters that are in the pistion where the rings are, or does this beast have extra squiteres in the block that are hosing the piston/ bores down like a wet t-shirt contest bimbo?

Forged Pistons are more ridgid and hold their shape better than cast or hyperuetic (spelling big time on that one). misisng squiriters is probably not recomended regardless of the type of piston used. i think the best solution is to find out WHY they get clogged. is it crappy manteneice schedule? wrong oil? are they too small? sh!tty rings that allow too much blow-by and coke up the oil?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I'd say get rid of them, we don't use them and other cars don't. Sure, it would be nice but having crank walk isn't nice either.

If you really must have them, then retrofit them like the older engines.

I know my friends TIII took out 2 thrust bearings and cranks due to the Double Diagraph? sic, clutch and low oil pressure, so maybe they are onto something.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Unfortunately Cliff's site went down some time ago. I also heard he sold the car and is back to 2.2L because they couldn't keep a head gasket in it. I'm hoping for the best for my 2.5L TIII.....not making a bunch of HP like Cliff was, just want to make my SL fun again! Honestly I will probably just use stock head gasket and maybe ARP studs.
    I have never blown a head gasket, everything else but no head gasket.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    If you really must have them, then retrofit them like the older engines.
    Can you please post a picture of what you're talking about?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast