Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how much power and your et's for unported 8v heads (t3/t4 especially)

Garrett booster

how much power and your et's for unported 8v heads (t3/t4 especially)

I want to know what other people et's and mph's are with a stock 8v head on there rides especially if you have a t3/t4 and what are all your mods? I need to figure out exactly what im doing wrong.

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Re: how much power and your et's for unported 8v heads (t3/t4 especially)

291 at the wheels. 111.91 mph 2600lb car

T3/4 50 trim .63 ar stage II exhaust 2.5" ported S/v
    Dual stock cooler
    +40's
    22 psi boost
    3bar computer
    Ported Exhaust manifold
    3 " side exit exhaust with a cutout before the cat.
    89 tbi roller cam

Car was a dog til 4k then all hell broke loose. Gained 26-27mph in the last 1/8
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Previous owner... stock engine

13.0@105 mph 3200lb car

T3/4 50 trim .63 ar stage II exhaust 2.5" ported S/v
    Cummin's Intercooler
    +40's
    25 psi boost
    3bar computer
    Ported Exhaust manifold
    3 " side exit exhaust with a cutout before the cat.
    89 tbi roller cam
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

And it would build silly boost from a brake stand frank... My daughter ran a 13.8 @ 104 with that car on her third ever pass down the strip.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Here is a funny example of it also!
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/ph...t=504&ppuser=1
    Frank Katzenberger

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

original bone stock engine, head, turbo, and intercooler: 12.92 and 106.

mods: 3" exhaust, TU cal, +20's.

Is it just me, or do these Dodges need more boost for the horsepower than other cars?

It seems some cars need more boost to produce power than others... even if it is at the same RPM. COuld the tune be the key to unleashing the power? Is it the fuel you use? Intercooling? It also seems that less HP is gained per pound increased as you go up the ladder... i.e. x HP gained going from 7-8psi, 1/2x HP gained going from 20-21psi...

It's the poor flowing heads. Of course, we get more torque per psi than the other cars though!!!
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Hybrid booster

COuld the tune be the key to unleashing the power?
    I can't say Im worried about anyone else. I don't see any 200hp cars on the road that can compete with my Daytona. You make it sound like that's a bad thing. I'm always wondering what their problem is.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jere86TZ
    Is it just me, or do these Dodges need more boost for the horsepower than other cars?

It seems some cars need more boost to produce power than others... even if it is at the same RPM. COuld the tune be the key to unleashing the power? Is it the fuel you use? Intercooling? It also seems that less HP is gained per pound increased as you go up the ladder... i.e. x HP gained going from 7-8psi, 1/2x HP gained going from 20-21psi...
    As Ken said, its our crappy 8valve heads. Now bolt in a 16 valve head and its a whole different ball game.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

actually I have a problem with this. most Honda guys I know dont build any boost till past 4000 rpms or higher. They make power from 6000-8500+ even when near stock. A TD is making power from 3500-5500rpms unless some major work is done and someone installs decent cams to go along with that work.

Not sure where the "same RPM, less power" argument is comming from since most other turbo 4 cars I know of use bigger turbos and are spooling much later in the RPM range. Be it SR20's, Hondas, DSM's......whatever. DSM with a stock small turbo might be the only exception........and they really dont make a lot of power.

compare the two @ 3000 rpms........Most turbo hondas make NO power there.

Sure they make a LOT more HP on the same boost leve, but that is a function of RPM, bigger turbo, and better flowing heads.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Brents got a point there. We do build boost surprisingly fast, but of course it runs out quick due to our shatty heads. 5,500 is all I got in my motor, then it dies.

On my stock head with a '88 Garrett turbo pushing 18.5psi I went a 13.91 at 97mph. T3/T4 will be here this week though. I'll let you know how fast it goes then.

I have a tendency to speak without letting my mind catch me in the act of saying something stupid...

Story: Before I went Mopar, I owned a Saturn and kept up with the trends of turbocharged saturns (through TSN). Most Saturns can make about 220WHP at 7psi* vs. 223 @ 13psi* with the TIII. Now, I know TD's make a lot more torque, so the power is able to be made earlier than other cars. I believe my Daytona can hit full boost around 2k (or so I think) rather than the 3k they must wait out for full boost.

The main question I have with this is because of the original question of the thread: what power for the ET? I'm more or less asking for a specific ET and what one would have to do to hit that goal... which is to break 100MPH in the 1/4 mile.

These goals are far down the road.

"......what power for the ET? I'm more or less asking for a specific ET and what one would have to do to hit that goal... "

JERE that question is more a function of race weight than anything else, so, any answer would have to be a function of power-to-race weight, here's a fun calculator that is great for ballparking what a car can do in the 1/4 mile:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Story: Before I went Mopar, I owned a Saturn and kept up with the trends of turbocharged saturns (through TSN). Most Saturns can make about 220WHP at 7psi* vs. 223 @ 13psi* with the TIII.

You are forgetting something.... the Saturns and even the Hondas you have seen examples of are converted N/A cars to turbo. This means that they are using the stock high compression pistons. That makes a difference. But if they wanted to make big power, very few will be able to do so with compression like this.

Boost is basically a measurment of your engines poor volumetric efficiency.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection
    Boost is basically a measurment of your engines poor volumetric efficiency.

You are on the ball today Steve!
    Frank Katzenberger

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection
    You are forgetting something.... the Saturns and even the Hondas you have seen examples of are converted N/A cars to turbo. This means that they are using the stock high compression pistons. That makes a difference. But if they wanted to make big power, very few will be able to do so with compression like this.
    Exactly what I was about to say. My brother is into Hondas, and has turbo'd one, and several of his buddies have as well. My brother had a '94 Civic hatch w/ a stock 1.8 LS non-VTEC and a GSR 5-spd, and he slapped a T3/T4 turbo on it. It was done right, injectors, RRFPR etc. It didn't spool til 4K. On 8 psi it made enough power for him to outrun a Vette w/ it. But, at 8 psi, it also only lasted him like 3 months, maybe 4, before the motor took a dump on him. Head lifted under boost and blew the head gasket, then it started burning oil badly.

His new turbo Honda, a 91 Civic wagon, had a stock B20 VTEC w/ a turbo bolted on it. The guy he got it from built it, took it to the dyno, it made 350+ hp at the wheels. 3 days later it spun a main bearing. Now my brother is having it rebuilt, with an additional 600-700 bucks worth of bottom end parts and ARP studs to make it hold up.

Bottom line, there are very few cars out there that will hold up to our levels of boost as reliably (relatively speaking of course lol) as ours, for what little we put into them. The way I look at it, yeah they may be a making big power, but in 3 months mine will still be driving up and down the road, where as their Honda/Saturn/Mitsu/whatever will be back in the shop.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    You are on the ball today Steve!

Got the house all to myself today and went to bed early last night
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS
    "......what power for the ET? I'm more or less asking for a specific ET and what one would have to do to hit that goal... "

JERE that question is more a function of race weight than anything else, so, any answer would have to be a function of power-to-race weight, here's a fun calculator that is great for ballparking what a car can do in the 1/4 mile:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

Not bad but I don't believe its that accurate. I use the first chart, I am only making 266 whp, 2nd chart, 284 whp.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

so basically if you wanna move your gonna have to run high boost, like 20-25 psi if you have the fuel?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast