Thread: srt4 cams in a n.a 2.4 head

Garrett booster

srt4 cams in a n.a 2.4 head

i was wondering if i could use srt4 cams in my head i am building it already has 1mm oversize intake valves and 2mm oversize exhaust valves from fwd performance and it has Brian crower springs and retainers already so i wanna run some brian crower cams any info on this would be nice thanx

turbo addict

Re: srt4 cams in a n.a 2.4 head

i don't see why they wouldn't work, but I don't think they would offer a performance gain for you. SRT4 guys run regular Neon cams becuase the cam profile holds the valve open longer. Turbo engines don't necessarily need that kind of duration becuase the turbo charger is forcing air into the combustion chambers where as the N/A engines are creating a vacuum sucking air into them.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Physically, the cams interchange.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Physically, the cams interchange.
    Except that the holes for the cam gears are machined differently for the early 2.4l cams. The SRT4 cams actually have the same cam magnet position as the 2.0l DOHC cams.

2.0l cams are the best stock cams.

-Rich

Garrett booster

im building a hybrid motor for my omni and im using a 2.4 neon head i want it to have a choppy idle like this srt4 i just bought the cams 350 with free shipping from ebay

Hybrid booster

I had my SRT 4 cams checked with 96 NA 2.4 cams by Delta, same thing. So buying SRT 4 cams is a HUGE waste of money, which of course I found out too late lol. My plan was to buy the SRT 4 cams and copy them for doing more cams, but they are exactly the same as NA 2.4 cams. What would be nice though is 2.0 lobes on 2.4 cams though

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    I had my SRT 4 cams checked with 96 NA 2.4 cams by Delta, same thing. So buying SRT 4 cams is a HUGE waste of money, which of course I found out too late lol. My plan was to buy the SRT 4 cams and copy them for doing more cams, but they are exactly the same as NA 2.4 cams. What would be nice though is 2.0 lobes on 2.4 cams though
    Yup, in later years all the 2.4 cams shared the same part numbers, N/A or turbo.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    What would be nice though is 2.0 lobes on 2.4 cams though
    Why not just run 2.0l cams? The 2.0l cams are a bolt in replacement for the SRT4 engine. The only thing that is different is the pin position for the intake cam pulley. Even the cam magnet position is the same on the 2.0l and the SRT4. The NA 2.4l is the one that is the oddball for cam magnet position.

-Rich

Garrett booster

420A cam swap

Speacial thanks to Mike M. (neonrt_98) for sharing this information in great detail. The pics used are his. Most information pulled from this thread 420a Cam Swap

This is a 420a engine, commonly confused with a dohc neon engine. while they share some parts in common, there are differences as well. The cylinder head for example has reverse placement of the intake and exhaust manifolds, in comparison to the dohc 2.0L neon. The cam shafts are also reversed; the 420a intake cam is the dohc neon exhaust cam. This is a focal point of this post.

The 420a exhaust cam is smaller than the 2.0L intake cam, so that is not mentioned. We are all aware of the 2.0L dohc cam shaft upgrade for the 2.4L. To take this idea a step further, the 420a intake cam is larger than the dohc neon exhaust cam, making it a cheap factory upgrade. As the chart clealy shows the size difference in these factory cams. The amount of low end you get from this cam is ideal from a 2.0L, and would be even more profund in the 2.4L.

As for usage, this cam is different when it comes to timing. No simple matter of a 180* adjustment. Normally, the dohc cams sit with both dowel pins at the 6 o'clock position. This logic will not work with the 420a cam. The dowel pin will need to be relocated from the 6 o'clock position to the 10 o'clock position to make this cam work in a dohc neon/2.4L cylinder head. You will want to have adjustable cam gear with this swap also, as the power band dies out at 4k at this setting. My neon revs to 7k strong after retarding the exhaust cam 5*. Hope you find this as interesting as I do.

-Godspeed-

Mitsu booster

Sorry to threadjack but, it's kind of on the same topic. Could you run the 2.4 intake cam as the exhaust? I've known other brands to run siamesed cams but, I've never really looked into doing it on the SRT-4.

Hybrid booster

you can't run the exhaust cam in the intake spot of vice versa. The A420 cam is another story as the ports are flipped. Since I posted here last I added 2.0 cams and 2.4 cams in the 2.0 ATX Neon. Wow you can't imagine how much better a 2.0 atx runs with 2.4 cams. Running cams with the stock SRT 4 turbo sucks like a big cam with a 1 piece intake 8v.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

This needs to be a sticky.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info