Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminums caravan front knuckles?

turbo addict

Aluminums caravan front knuckles?

Does anyone remember what year the aluminum front knuckles started in?????

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Aluminums caravan front knuckles?

I would guess late 90's, early 2000 ish.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I think 2000 was iron and 2001 was aluminum but I could be off by a year. I had a pair of then and looked into adapting them to our cars but they were too different to do it easily. They are 3 pounds or so lighter but have a heavier thicker bearing. They are taller and use a tapered threaded balljoint and wider spindle mount.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    I think 2000 was iron and 2001 was aluminum but I could be off by a year. I had a pair of then and looked into adapting them to our cars but they were too different to do it easily. They are 3 pounds or so lighter but have a heavier thicker bearing. They are taller and use a tapered threaded ball joint and wider spindle mount.
    I remember i would have to change ball joint to work , do you have any pics of them in your notes????? my only other thing is to get a friend to make some billet press in bearing one made$$$$$ just looking at options .

Hybrid booster

2001 model year is the first one.

A billet knuckle with a press in bearing. Sounds very interesting; will that work? The Caliber uses a snap ring on the back side of the press in wheel bearing with a step on the outside of the knuckle to retain the bearing even though it is a cast iron knuckle.

While your at it intergrate a non-stock caliper mount spacing into the knuckle and use something like the Brembo SRT8 rear calipers. I swapped a set of these onto an R/T today. They are a fixed aluminum four piston caliper with the mount bracket made onto the caliper. Sweet brakes.

Hybrid booster

I found a picture of some to show what I mean by an integrated mount.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    2001 model year is the first one.

A billet knuckle with a press in bearing. Sounds very interesting; will that work? The Caliber uses a snap ring on the back side of the press in wheel bearing with a step on the outside of the knuckle to retain the bearing even though it is a cast iron knuckle.

While your at it intergrate a non-stock caliper mount spacing into the knuckle and use something like the Brembo SRT8 rear calipers. I swapped a set of these onto an R/T today. They are a fixed aluminum four piston caliper with the mount bracket made onto the caliper. Sweet brakes.
    This is mostly for the salt belt people. Wait until you have to remove that snap ring after a few years of rust have seized it to the bearing.....EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!
    Is the ball joint that much different on these than the cast iron? Can the aluminum ball joint be swapped in the earlier arms? Can the LCA from the aluminum spindle van be used in the old setup?
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Well you learn something new everyday! I never knew AL spindles were made... I wonder why they would do it when they, by the material itself, wouldn't be as strong... I do like the idea of less un-sprung mass though!

Now I'll have something else to look at next time I'm at the JY...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

yea the snap ring bearing like in a ford contour, i would never intentionaly put those one anything living up here. they are a royal pain to get apart

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    This is mostly for the salt belt people. Wait until you have to remove that snap ring after a few years of rust have seized it to the bearing.....EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!
    Is the ball joint that much different on these than the cast iron? Can the aluminum ball joint be swapped in the earlier arms? Can the LCA from the aluminum spindle van be used in the old setup?
    I think 2000 was iron and 2001 was aluminum but I could be off by a year. I had a pair of then and looked into adapting them to our cars but they were too different to do it easily. They are 3 pounds or so lighter but have a heavier thicker bearing. They are taller and use a tapered threaded balljoint and wider spindle mount.
    I think rbryant has already been there.

Red face Re: Aluminums caravan front knuckles?

Yep. The spindle bolts were also wider... just about everything was a little different and when it added up it wasn't worth it for only 2.5lbs. The brakes were also heavier but did have a 62mm option on the rear disc vans.

The hubs are 5x114 there might be a 5x100 version from 2000 but not sure. Our bearings bolt in but are thinner so the axle length is affected.

I decided that getting aluminum willwood brakes on ET spindle would be a better next step.

That is why I asked.
    The early to mid 2000 hyundai sonata's were the same way. Even after only 2 years, the ends of the snap rings would break off while removing.

Yep. The spindle bolts were also wider... just about everything was a little different and when it added up it wasn't worth it for only 2.5lbs. The brakes were also heavier but did have a 62mm option on the rear disc vans.

The hubs are 5x114 there might be a 5x100 version from 2000 but not sure. Our bearings bolt in but are thinner so the axle length is affected.
    That is what I wanted to know, thanks.
    Bryan

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I found a picture of some to show what I mean by an integrated mount.

Like my Wilwoods for sale, Shameless plug,

It doesn't seem to be a problem here, but I don't think we use salt anymore. I do know that the I think its a Sebring? uses aluminium hats on the rear springs, and they rot out, its a bloody mess,

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Well you learn something new everyday! I never knew AL spindles were made... I wonder why they would do it when they, by the material itself, wouldn't be as strong... I do like the idea of less un-sprung mass though!

Now I'll have something else to look at next time I'm at the JY...

Mike
    They also use an aluminium K member, and yes, its just as strong, look at Corvettes and such, they are mostly built with it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Salt/ de icer is not going to be a problem as this is for a Fridaynight special car!!!!!

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I do know that the I think its a Sebring? uses aluminium hats on the rear springs, and they rot out, its a bloody mess,
    2nd that! Even in the Cincinnati region the aluminum hats rot out on Sebring Sedans! I know this first hand and it makes a MESS of aluminum powder all over your garage and garage floor when you replace them.
    That was dumb, really dumb....for real.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    2nd that! Even in the Cincinnati region the aluminum hats rot out on Sebring Sedans! I know this first hand and it makes a MESS of aluminum powder all over your garage and garage floor when you replace them.
    That was dumb, really dumb....for real.
    Yuck that is why I don't live in Syracuse anymore...

I bet if you powdercoated the aluminum stuff that it would solve the oxidation problems.

The spindles just don't fit that well. They are also taller so that the car would lose strut travel. Overall it just isn't worth it unless it is a custom racecar suspension or something. I sold mine to a friend that is building a more aggressive project than I am where he is already changing everything about the suspension...

-Rich

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

I think you probably could swap out the ball joints and have them work. Worst case you could use a stamped control arm and weld in a custom ball joint ring. The ball joints are tapered and threaded like the older school ones so you could probably even buy generic threaded ball joint mounts and use a threaded ball joint instead of a pressed one.

I didn't play with the control arms but either those or the kframe are different on newer vans because the newer vans have a wider track.

-Rich

turbo addict

I was not worried about the hieght as i was trying to find a strut with a adjustible (threaded) lowered strut mount .

Yuck that is why I don't live in Syracuse anymore...

I bet if you powdercoated the aluminum stuff that it would solve the oxidation problems.

The spindles just don't fit that well. They are also taller so that the car would lose strut travel. Overall it just isn't worth it unless it is a custom racecar suspension or something. I sold mine to a friend that is building a more aggressive project than I am where he is already changing everything about the suspension...

-Rich

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

I think you probably could swap out the ball joints and have them work. Worst case you could use a stamped control arm and weld in a custom ball joint ring. The ball joints are tapered and threaded like the older school ones so you could probably even buy generic threaded ball joint mounts and use a threaded ball joint instead of a pressed one.

I didn't play with the control arms but either those or the kframe are different on newer vans because the newer vans have a wider track.

-Rich
    I wasn't sure of the track, as I never checked, but that makes sense. I knew the K-frame was different, but again not sure how much.
    For the weight savings, not worth going thru all of that, IMO. At least not for a street car.
    Bryan

turbo addict

To lose 5 pounds in the front is a lot when the is not other options . It is the SUM of the total that make a light car NOT just one part only!!!!

I agree, but I feel I could loose the weight in other ways that are easier to implement.
    Bryan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast