Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine removal question

turbo addict

Engine removal question

Is it possible to remove the engine without the transmission? 5 speed 555 Omni is what we are talking about. Head is off. Just didn't know if it's possible.

Hybrid booster

Re: Engine removal question

I just did it in my 86 Charger, I had the head off then decided to pull the engine. I should've just taken the trans out with it, had to pretty much remove it anyway. It's just dangling in there right now with a jack under it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would think it's just as much if not more work to do it that way.

turbo addict

Ah ok. So trans and engine can come out together?

Hybrid booster

I would say more work, just pull them out together as an assembly.

turbo addict

Thanks will do.

It can be done either way, but I don't like scuffing up my pressure plate trying to put the motor back in again. I usually just pull both now.
    later Dick Westerhof

turbo addict

do i need a balancer for the cherry picker to pull both? all i have is a chain.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

what ive always done is drop the trans then just pull the engine. but if there is an easy way im all about it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    do i need a balancer for the cherry picker to pull both? all i have is a chain.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

what ive always done is drop the trans then just pull the engine. but if there is an easy way im all about it.
    It is way easier with a balancer.

turbo addict

Dam. I think I'll just do it the way I've done it before. Thanks guys.

Hybrid booster

Both... Out the bottom... I just pulled the block/transaxle from the GLHS.. I stood there for a minute mentally trying to measure things up... Thinking.. gee i could just leave the axles in... then I thought what the heck am I thinking.. a matter of minutes later the engine/trans was sitting on my wood block setup perfectly trimmed for the job and the car was lifted off the engine..

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

i just droppped my engine from my L body. JUST the engine. NO load leveler. just use 2 head bolts and make sure the chain links r the same. pop off the side passenger mount after u got it off the frame. just the mount and C bracket...u dont have to undo the whole thing off the side altho it will just give u even more clearance.

put a jack under the trans to keep it level get tension on the chains, loosen the last 2 tranny/block bolts (the doweled ones) and wiggle the block until it pops free. slide it out the passenger side with the clearance u made by taking off the mount. and rotate the engine, youll have enough room to just drop the engine down on the ground (unless u want to lift it up but i dont have the height to do that, so i just jack the car up after and slide engine out from bottom)

so yeah the jack will be under the trans still. take your front motor moutn bracket and just bolt it to the trans. this will keep it from sagging!

if u want to pull the trans then u may have to do the ball joints, then of course your gonna have tranny fluid all over the place....id only pull whats needed...

turbo addict

See that's what I was figuring. I just put trans fluid in it lol. Today I'm gonna try to tackle it and see how it goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    See that's what I was figuring. I just put trans fluid in it lol. Today I'm gonna try to tackle it and see how it goes down.
    just do it the way I said, and youll be laughing. had the engine out in 3 hours.....but i bet almost 2 of them hours were more dedicated to drinking beers with my friend lol....

yeah just dont understand why lots of people take the trans with it....its not easier really. then the ones who pull engines complete without even taking the top end off??? lol...thats just strange....

turbo addict

Ok will do. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

In theory, if you don't want to deal with the axles, you can drop the engine, trans, and K frame/A arms as a unit but that's a cherry picker nightmare and then you're into re-aligning. No matter how you do it, it's a PITA.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Lol yea right.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    yeah just dont understand why lots of people take the trans with it....its not easier really. then the ones who pull engines complete without even taking the top end off??? lol...thats just strange....
    My engine comes out and goes back in with the head on. It's all timed and primed, ready to run...
    later Dick Westerhof

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    My engine comes out and goes back in with the head on. It's all timed and primed, ready to run...
    id rather pull it, or install the shortblock without the top end. i can have my head off in like 30 minutes tops/installed in an hour, its much easier to work without all the crap in the way when dealing with the shortblock.

so roadjuice how did u make out??

turbo addict

Ehh. I didn't touch the car today lol. Maybe tonight sometime or tomorrow morning. I'll post up thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast