Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crank sensor

turbo addict

crank sensor

Hey does anyone have the dimensions of the crank sensor? I may have found another alternative that is only 20 bucks. I know there are other alternatives but this one is cheaper and looks stock.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=2355706

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/pro...FC-GB100000001

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L235570-01.gif 
Views:	157 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	27934
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Re: crank sensor

ok, i'll bite. i dont have dimentions but aside form the notch that an orginal TIII sensor has, that looks like it could work. wonder if it has a wiring connector at the end of the harness or if you have to get one from a JY pickup coil

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    ok, i'll bite. i dont have dimentions but aside form the notch that an orginal TIII sensor has, that looks like it could work. wonder if it has a wiring connector at the end of the harness or if you have to get one from a JY pickup coil
    It just has wires no plug, you could nab a connector off an old Hep
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I don't have a spare crank sensor, but aren't they the same dimensions as a cam sensor? I do have a couple of spare cam sensors that I could compare if they're the same...?

I'm surprised that Jackson isn't all over this already.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by MNmopar View Post
    I don't have a spare crank sensor, but aren't they the same dimensions as a cam sensor? I do have a couple of spare cam sensors that I could compare if they're the same...?

I'm surprised that Jackson isn't all over this already.
    I think the diameter is the same but the real issue is the depth

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I think the diameter is the same but the real issue is the depth
    Well if its too long, washer's will do the trick. I'll see if I can dig one up and take some measurements, unless someone beats me to it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Well if its too long, washer's will do the trick. I'll see if I can dig one up and take some measurements, unless someone beats me to it.
    That would work, but it would be nice if it fit normally since it looks factory.

turbo addict

1.66" overall length

.74" diameter

Approx 1.125" flange to tip.

Well crap, the links & pic didn't show up the first time I saw the thread. I didn't check the distance of the mounting hole to the center of the sensor.

That sensor is close to the same size. A little smaller diameter, and it could be spaced out away from the bellhousing to make up for the extra length.
    Last edited by 86Shelby; 01-08-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added info
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    1.66" overall length

.74" diameter

Approx 1.125" flange to tip.
    these converted to metric is:
    overall legnth is 42.164mm
    diameter is 19.05mm
    flange to tip is 28.575mm

so the one posted is too short (flange to tip) and too fat (diameter).

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    these converted to metric is:
    overall legnth is 42.164mm
    diameter is 19.05mm
    flange to tip is 28.575mm

backwards its a little bit too long (.126) and a little too skinny 2mm

overall is nil, just the thickness of the flange. Looks like it would be alright for an alternative with a .125 thick washer. I wonder if somebody could make an aluminum sleeve that holds the whole thing centered, and at the right height.

turbo addict

overall is nil, just the thickness of the flange. Looks like it would be alright for an alternative with a .125 thick washer. I wonder if somebody could make an aluminum sleeve that holds the whole thing centered, and at the right height.
    No the measurements for the one you posted are 31.8mm flange to tip, and 17.9mm diameter, the TIII is shorter/fatter according to the measurements posted by 86Shelby.

turbo addict

^I thought that sentence was about the one I posted

boostaholic

You have to be careful how far you space it out because they stock sensor is already very close to the AIS sensor on the TB

boostaholic

If you guys find that this will work. I would be able to CNC some aluminum adapters. I could make it have a .125 flange (same profile as the sensor flange) with the sleeve machined right in to the flange. LMK
    Adam

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    If you guys find that this will work. I would be able to CNC some aluminum adapters. I could make it have a .125 flange (same profile as the sensor flange) with the sleeve machined right in to the flange. LMK
    Adam
    Cool, I am looking around for the best price right now. What about another piece that lets us use this sensor for a cam sensor? Like a piece that bolts in place of the stock sensor that this sensor will slip into and bolt down.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

looks the like the cheapest Ive found is mouser at 23 bucks

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...Fb5BFFKw%3D%3D

Now, I am sure this will work, the only thing I am worried about is weather the stock sensor is npn or pnp?

if somebody could, here is the procedure on how to test, it should work with a 9 volt battery and a piece of metal.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2102530_type...lti-meter.html

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

the sensor is the same as one that another dodge uses but the pig tail is different. I forget which other car has it. Ask glhs0426 about it.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    the sensor is the same as one that another dodge uses but the pig tail is different. I forget which other car has it. Ask glhs0426 about it.
    Uh, I don't remember the application. I'll get some pics and a p/n. The sensor is just filling the hole in the bellhousing on my 8valve R/T. There is one bouncing around I think will work, pigtail and all.

Garrett booster

As I may be in need of one of these now but could always use a spare, has anybody found out if this will work? If so what exactly you did to get it to work? Do you have to space it out with a washer or solder the wires to the plug of a stock sensor or what else?

turbo addict

I never got around to ordering one. My new job sucks so bad that all I have money for is rent and food.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Still nada? I'm looking to buy a TIII crank sensor, but this is a ton more attractive, even if the sleeve costs $50.
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast