Thread: killing sensors ... electrical nightmare

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

killing sensors ... electrical nightmare

ok the car is a 2.2t2 87 , it all started when ive hooked a o2 sensor and did it wrong , then ive fixed it, then the coil gived up ,yesterday i was driving and i feeled the coil is giving up again then today ive changed it and saw that i was hooking it wrong ... and it give up 20 min later ,no fire , i didnt had anymore coil handy so i used my 3.0 one and its running again but seems to got the iac problem back and got a code 21 (o2 lean) ive triple check the ground and its fine ...

turbo addict

Re: killing sensors ... electrical nightmare

Maybe you have a charging problem? Low voltage can cause all sorts of electrical issues.

yeah i notice that the alt was charging at 14.0 to 14.7 and when i push the gas the the voltage dropped to 13.0 to 13.5 then go back to normal ... i tried changing alternator and did the same thing , PM maybe ?

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymonster View Post
    yeah i notice that the alt was charging at 14.0 to 14.7 and when i push the gas the the voltage dropped to 13.0 to 13.5 then go back to normal ... i tried changing alternator and did the same thing , PM maybe ?
    I just went through (and fixed, I think) a charging problem. If that's what you suspect, go through the steps here and see what you come up with:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/charging.html
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...2553#post42553

Make sure you do all the tests on a fully charged battery, otherwise you're likely to get bogus results.

It sounds maybe like your alternator is charging fine but that something somewhere is pulling more current than it should?

Also when you say you were hooking the coil up wrong, how were you doing it? Maybe there's still something not right about the way you've hooked it up? (e.g. bad connection)

Could a bad engine ground be causing these issues, as well?
    Vince 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 I miss my Plymouth Duster. :(

im gonna dig some more 2morow , i need to check the alt harness plug and try another PM if i have it , grounds were all redone 1 month ago

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

it still charge ok , sometimes the alt seems to surge but thats rare , but happened when i change the last coil before it died

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

when i first hooked up the coil the first time the terminals would go in one way , if i was the other way (original terminals btw) it could'nt go in , so i did the way it was working and it started right away ... sorry for my english