Thread: Shelby Lancer not charging!

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Shelby Lancer not charging!

I am having some issues with my Lancer not charging. I had the parts store test the alternator and it is working fine. The battery is also good. Once the car is running you can pull off the car battery terminal and the car will cut off. I traced down the fusible link and it looks ok. What else do I need to check? What do the two small wires on the alternator do?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Shelby Lancer not charging!

The two small wires are for the alternator field. They control the alternator output. I would trace those wires back up to all the connectors behind the battery. Use a multimeter to check for continuity. Most of the time I've had a charging problem on my SL, it was because those wires got damaged somehow, or the connector was dirty/corroded.

You can also check the voltage between the field terminals. It should be low with all accessories off and rise as you turn things on. IIRC, it should be around 5v with the car running and everything turned off, and about 10v with all the accesories running.

It's a Lancer, not a Charger, what did you expect? I bet it lances just fine.

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Man. That was witty. You really are a professor of chaos!
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

if the alternator is good, the wires are good, the connections are not corroded, the fuseable links are good.... maybe Power Module? got a spare to try?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance
    if the alternator is good, the wires are good, the connections are not corroded, the fuseable links are good.... maybe Power Module? got a spare to try?
    Yep: In my case it was the connector to the fieldterminals which was awfully bad. You should as well check those field terminal wires, not only the fusible links. If you have bad luck it is the regulator which depending on year and model is part of the power module which the will need to be replace.

My Connector to the Alternator was that bad that with a little force only I was holding the entire connector in my hand without removing a single screw.....

Ah, do you get codes??

The guy before busted the field terminals off the molded alternator wiring harness. He put new ends on and I did a quick check which they looked all right. Does it matter which one is hooked up to where? It looks like when he installed the nippondenso alternator he busted the harness. If they aren't hooked up or there is something wrong with them the alternator won't put out?

Thanks
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

It doesn't matter which field wire goes to which terminal. I have the ND alternator in my SL as well.

I recently busted off one of the field terminal studs and thought I had to get a new alternator. If you remove a couple 5/16" nuts that hold the tin cover on, you can easily replace the brush assembly which the studs are part of. Just a couple phillips screws hold in in.

Mine was really dirty when I took it apart. I would clean out the brush assembly with electrical terminal cleaner and make sure the shaft doesn't have deep grooves worn into it from the brushes. It's actually really easy to do.

it is the wiring harness that is broke. he added some new connectors tho.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

2022 Viper runs 9s